Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also on the 'bay, hence sales babble cut and pasted here...

Was asking £199, now seeking £150, established wammers only.

Arcam Delta 70 Classic British Hi-Fi Compact Disc CD Player CDM2 TDA1541 DAC.

If you’re looking for one of these you probably already know what a special piece of kit it is. These CD players were made in the UK and were expensive when new. Arcam had two ranges at the time, the rarer premium quality Delta range and the mid-priced Alpha range of which there are many more around.

The Delta 70 incorporates the highly regarded Philips CDM-2 swing arm mechanism whichis rightly valued for its excellent build quality and superb performance. Inthe Delta 70 it is teamed with the legendary TDA1541 Digital-Analogue Converterand custom Arcam circuitry of higher quality than anything seen on a Philips- or Marantz-branded machine. 

The end result is a CD player with a beautiful and engaging sound – it’s musical yet accurate, a balanced sound which can be relaxing or exciting according to the music played. It’s a joy to use with a simple, minimalist layout and all-metal construction giving a real feeling of quality. Outputs are fixed and (unusually) variable stereo RCA lines so you could use it as a pre; there is also a digital coaxial output to allow use as a transport with a standalone DAC, although in my opinion it would be a shame to miss out on the great sound of this unit on its own. 

It is in excellent cosmetic condition with just minor marks and signs of use to top side strips (see pictures), it would look great as part of any hi-fi system. It's in full working order and sounds fantastic. The tray drive belt has been replaced, Sorbothane feet added, top plate professionally powder-coated (had some nasty scratches towards the rear) and a new power cable is included. Comes without remote control; any standard RC5-compatible remote will work, I used a more modern Arcam CR100.

UK buyers only. Collection in person from near Melton Mowbray or postage via Parcelforce.
IMG_8773.jpeg IMG_8774.jpeg delta 1.jpg IMG_8776.jpeg IMG_8778.jpeg IMG_8779.jpeg IMG_8781.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As always an informative (and almost exhaustive) description. My only suggestion would be to add

"custom Arcam circuitry of higher quality than anything seen on a Philips (or Marantz) branded machine"

for those unaware of the connection.

• Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice player, shame can't use just the DAC alone. Still a lovely machine for people who still use discs though :^ GLWS

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice player, shame can't use just the DAC alone. Still a lovely machine for people who still use discs though :^ GLWS
If there was a digital in, it would be a lot pricier, like with many spinners!

Thankfully there are plenty of folk still using the silver things out there. Just waiting for the right discerning one to come along!

• Upvote
Reactions: eddie-baby

Countryman

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2019
Suffolk
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooh…. And I’m trying to stop collecting players….. Lovely. I bet it sounds glorious.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooh…. And I’m trying to stop collecting players….. Lovely. I bet it sounds glorious.
The TDA1541 sound signature has a huge fan base, but of course the specific implementation is key and Arcam are masters at this. Compared with their ringDAC based players, there is more urgency to the sound here; I wasn’t sure I liked this at first but it quickly grew on me and I’ve found myself listening to different music from usual and listening for longer... which must be a good sign.

Roll up, roll up!

Reactions: Lawrence001

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.