SOLD - Q Acoustics Concept 500

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I didn't expect to be doing this 2 years after buying these amazing speakers, nevertheless they're up for sale. The only reason I am parting with them is because as you may have seen from some of the other threads, I've just managed to acquire what I expect will be my end-game speakers, and I really don't have either the room or the need for two pairs of monster floorstanders. Plus I still have three other pairs of speakers I can use elsewhere if I need to...

So up for grabs are my beautiful, immaculate Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers, the flagship of the Q Acoustics range. I purchased a pair in Dec 2019, however due to an issue with deformity of the surround on one driver, Richer Sounds exchanged both speakers for a brand new pair - these were delivered to me on 27th March 2020, so they're about 22 months old.

Finished in a beautiful piano lacquer white with an oak veneer strip to the rear, they're a bit of a stunner IMHO. The oak strip does help to disguise the true depth of the enclosures - this is a modern-type "deeper than it is wide" style, dimensions being 1175 x 400 x 375 mm (46.2 x 15.7 x 14.8 in) H x W x D. The details of the technology and the specs can be found on the Q Acoustics web page where there is access to a white paper discussing the tech, but to summarise, they are a cabinet-within-a-cabinet-within-a-cabinet construction - three layers of MDF sandwiched together with Gelcore, a non-setting resin that damps the cabinets and converts vibrational energy into heat, making for a very dense and non-resonant enclosure for the drivers. It's a big 2-way rear-ported design with twin 165mm (6.5") mid-bass drivers allied with a 28mm (1") soft dome tweeter. There are 2-part bungs you can use in the (big) rear ports to partially or fully close them off and to the rear of the speakers there is a jumper link that you can use to make subtle (0.5 dB) adjustments to the HF, to help you tailor it to the environment they are in. Having played with them I can say that it's effective and a useful adjustment that doesn't spoil the overall balance of the voicing.

I've posted previously on here my thoughts about these wonderful speakers so won't say a lot - have a look through the owners thread to start with. To summarise though they are musically rewarding and easy to live with, long sessions won't be fatiguing. Given some space around them they will reward with a massive soundstage, precise and focused, with an incredible sense of depth perspective. They are what I would describe as a musical, rather than analytical, speaker and I still love them very much for that. Give them a decent recording to play and they definitely give me goosebumps!

These are in pristine condition, not a mark or blemish I can see anywhere. I have been very careful with their condition. Of course they come with the grilles (never used - they attach magnetically hence no fixings on the front baffle), all the original accessories including the "pack" containing the unused spikes, bi-wire terminal jumpers, instruction manual and special cleaning cloth (again, unused - I have my own microfibre cloth I've used on them). For transport purposes they also have the soft inner protective covers (you could even use these to help keep dust off them, wish I'd thought of that), original boxes and all packaging.

These are big beasties, and I think they will have to be for collection in person only as the cost of a courier is probably prohibitive (I've not dared to ask). You will need a big car, truck or van as the final dimensions when boxed are 530 x 590 x 1340 mm W x D x H. I'm unable to offer any personal assistance with delivery I'm afraid as I don't have a vehicle big enough. I think a daily hire on a small van can be had for around the £30 mark if you search around so that could be a possibility.

If you want to arrange a demo here at home in Southampton that's absolutely fine, if you want to bring along any of your own system to try them out with that's not a problem either, I have a spare shelf I can put in place temporarily.

I ummed and aahed about the right price for these. Taking the usual auction site and hififorsale.co.uk as a guide, they seem to be anywhere between £1900 for a slightly damaged pair, to just over £3600 for new ones (actual RRP has now gone up to £4200). So I'm going to go somewhere toward the lower end and say £2650 £2500 £2200 £2000. No offers at this price.

Note that these photos were taken at various points over the last year or so, I can assure you that the condition hasn't changed but I will be more than happy to take some updated ones if you wish, albeit they won't be in-situ as my Martin Logans have now assumed that spot in the lounge. I should also point out that they are shown on my own DIY isolation platforms, these are NOT included in the sale but might be available separately - I'm still trying to decide if I cannibalise them to make some new ones for the MLs

If you have any other questions at all please PM me and I'll be happy to help out.

IMG_7150.jpeg

IMG_8318.jpeg

IMG_9671.jpeg

IMG_8287.jpeg

IMG_8288.jpeg

IMG_9672.jpeg

IMG_9673.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

Last edited:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheeky Wednesday bump  :Bump:  and a small price reduction to £2500. Bargain for these amazing speakers, treat yourself...

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I was in the market for speakers - I'd be knocking on your door.

Good luck with the sale - I can't see them not selling.

Reactions: Jules_S

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck with the sale Jules. What size are the boxes? Just wondering if they will go in my Honda estate should you need them transported up North. M1 usual route to see my daughter in Yorkshire.

Jack NSM

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the offer Jack. The box sizes are shown in the ad - 530 x 590 x 1340 mm W x D x H. I n theory they fit inside my car (Mercedes GL) but it's a bit tight getting them through the tailgate aperture. Past that, there's enough room. I might get the boxes down from the loft and try them while empty - a lot easier to manage!

These are now being listed on hififorsale.co.uk as well so if you fancy treating yourself to an amazing new pair of quality speakers, grab them while you can

Bigman80

BigBottle Audio
Wammer
Dec 18, 2015
Wolverhampton
AKA
Oliver
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wondered if someone would snap your hand off for these.

The speakers are probably in a very competitive area of the used market, price wise, but I wouldn't swap my 500's for anything.

Serious speakers with top class credentials. They work in smaller rooms too, so don't be put off by their size. A set of Townsend seismic bars have made mine absolutely sing in a 4x3.5m room with a trampoline for a floor.

If someone is considering them but is unsure without having a listen, I am in the West Midlands and am happy to let you hear mine, if it helps.

I sincerely hope they sell sharpish for you....although you may live to regret it.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jules_S

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK come on then, someone make me an offer on these. I would like to get them sold relatively soon, now that I am certain the MLs are here to stay. These really are cracking speakers, don't be misled by the "budget" brand name. I know white isn't everyone's cup of tea but equally they will fit into a modern decor beautifully, and perhaps less obtrusively than the black finish.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"Last call" for my gorgeous speakers. Price reduced to £2200.

If no takers or interest in the next week or so I'll withdraw the ad and they will whizz their way off to a dealer. 😢

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, best-laid plans and all that. At the moment a previously agreed deal has stalled, and I am sick and tired of dusting these speakers, so one last go here!

£2000 and absolutely no offers, that's half the price I paid two years ago, for these immaculate and wonderful speakers. I'd rather set them on fire than go any lower, it would be less criminal than to accept a lower figure. Please don't make me post the bonfire video on the Wam....

Only one change from the original post (updated) is that I can no longer offer any support with delivery as I no longer have a car big enough. Collection or Wam taxi is very much preferred to a courier as I expect the cost would be too high and the risk of damage is of course ever-present.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My wonderful speakers have now finally found a loving new home, so marking this as SOLD :)

Mods, would you please move to the sold thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles