Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to buy some decent soldering gear for audio work. I'll be delving inside the odd loudspeaker and maybe buggering about with some the odd pcb too.

What kind of iron should I be looking at and what other goodies would be helpful?

What can I get for less than £40?

All advice welcome, ta.

S

Sranang_Boi

Are you in luck or what! Rush off to Maplin and get their http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=98133&doy=25m6

Also get the optional packet of different sizes of soldering tips. You'll need the bigger tip for cross overs. The finer tips you use on delicate PCB type jobbies.

It's on sale right now and you just can't buy any better for the price if you consider the wide range of uses you have in mind.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sodders is soldering king, but from my limited experience, two irons wouldn't go amiss. 1 reasonably light duty, with a fine tip for PCB work, the other a bit more brutal for larger bits and bobs and soldering heavy cable. If only one, go for something lighter to start, as it's all too easy to melt things unintentionally.

Other useful essentials: De-soldering tool makes for a much easierlife, plus unless you have at least three hands, some sort of clamp or stand to hold things is the best investment you'll ever make.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sranang_Boi wrote:

Are you in luck or what! Rush off to Maplin and get their http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=98133&doy=25m6Also get the optional packet of different sizes of soldering tips. You'll need the bigger tip for cross overs. The finer tips you use on delicate PCB type jobbies.

It's on sale right now and you just can't buy any better for the price if you consider the wide range of uses you have in mind.
Excellent shout that, and looks very good value. Add in the tips and a de-soldering tool and start having fun!

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sranang_Boi wrote:

Are you in luck or what! Rush off to Maplin and get their http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=98133&doy=25m6Also get the optional packet of different sizes of soldering tips. You'll need the bigger tip for cross overs. The finer tips you use on delicate PCB type jobbies.

That looks the business, thank you. There's a Maplin 5 miles away, I shall visit tomorrow.

So. Soldering station as above, extra tips, desoldering tool, clamp/stand. Any specific types to buy/avoid? Or other things to add to the list?

Oh, how about the solder itself? I could by some magic Foo solder or I could not. Any thoughts?

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
Wouldn't bother Foo-k*ng about with special solders. Maplin sell standard lead-free silver-containing RoHS-compliant solder, Which should be all you will need. I would get 250 or 500g- I still have a 500g roll of lead-based solder that I have barely started- far better value than the tubes of solder.

The De-Solder pump is a good idea.

Another useful thing is to get the Tip tinner/cleaner that is listed on the 'popular buys' page on that maplin item. Makes tinning the tip much easier.

You won't need the clamp/stand for the iron- that station already has one. Or did you ment the 'Helping hand' type thing?

When you are using the Iron, wet the sponge that is in the stand, and clean the tip using it. Keep the tip shiny with solder.

Not sure what type of tips fit that Iron- looks like there is only the one type (#n71cw) that will fit.

Make a list of the order numbers before you visit- saves having to look up the items inthe catalogue in store.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Damn. I've just bought it all on line, but hadn't seen your tip cleaner suggestion.

I've done lots of soldering for car electrics but that is big and rough compared to pcb work and it was a few years ago, it'll come back to me soon enough. Bought some regular solder and some MapliFoo silver stuff and some heat shrink. And a poncey case to put it all in
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

E

earl of sodbury

Wish I'd seen this sooner... Not had happy experiences with Maplin's "Soldering Plastics" (no iron in sight)... When it dies, I can recommend Anatek irons - even the cheapies are hard to kill, and my humble 30W iron is good enough for everything up to mains plugs.

Lead free solders are a royal PITA to use, and only manufacturers are obliged to use them - their generally higher melting points and poorer flow rates make them more difficult to use, especially if you need to rework anything. Have a look at Farnell' or RS' websites for low melting point solders with the highest silver content you can find - it'll be worth it.

A flux pen is also a damn good idea - especially for heat sensitive work - you'll get quicker perfect joints, and fewer will be "dry".

Flux remover should also be considered essential to remove residues - even though some fluxes and solders are low acidity, the residual oxides and contaminants will still attack boards, componentsand joints over time...

A simple syringe type solder sucker (look for one with a nice narrow replacable tip) and some desoldering braid are essential - the braid will pick-up stuff the sucker won't, and vice versa

An old chem-lab type retort stand and glassware clamp make a super-stable workpiece holder if you can find one.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but I've made all the mistakes already...

churz, eofs

E

earl of sodbury

enbee23 wrote:

Shit and fuck.I've bought it all already...

38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
:wall:
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
Don't fret - I've never used the better quality Maplin iron you've bought - just make sure you keep the receipts in case.

If you've bought their standard solder it will be LMP unless it says "lead free", and you'll get through it in no time, so you can consider your options when it's used-up.

Any extraodds and sods you needyou can order tonight and they'll arive in the next day or 2.

To apologise for pissing on your parade: if you PM me your address I'll send yousome low melting point silver solder to tide you over.

churz, sod

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles