Linn Owners

Solos not Going into Standby (One Channel Only)

rad1

rad
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've only just noticed this, having moved my Solos from a closed cabinet to an open shelf unit where I can now see them...

When my KDSM goes into standby, the left channel amplification does not go into standby but stays on full power. I have KDSM -> Solos x2 -> Solos x2 (piggy-backed for passive bi-amping) all connected with unbalanced cables. All settings are set for unbalanced. The left channel Solo lights stay bright, but the right channel Solo lights go dim when the KDSM is asleep.

When I first power up the Solos (switching on the mains switches) all four amps go into standby. But when they are woken up by the KDSM playing music, the left channel amps refuse to sleep again.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with ‘troll - swap channels and see if the problem moves. Seems unlikely two Solos would go wrong with the same fault at the same time. Is there a small amount of noise on the left that might be keeping the left Solos ‘awake’?

Mick

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Make sure that power cables and unbalanced cable have a distance of at least 10 cm.
So the power cables can induce enough signal into the signal cable to trip the Solo sensor. Wow.

’troll

Reactions: Chris 1970

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the power cables can induce enough signal into the signal cable to trip the Solo sensor. Wow.

’troll

It seems so. And it has impact on sound as well.

It‘s always good to have a distance between cables (Ethernet too) and also between cables of the same kind.

But I‘m only a listener, maybe others can explain better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles