Linn Owners

Songcast dropouts

Yurkot

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
When songcasting from Klimax system (Exakt kdsm, Klimax Katalyst 350A’s) to secondary system (renew, solos or Majik DSM/ solos) I frequently get audio dropouts. I still have the Kinsky app on iPhone and when the dropouts occur I see a spinning propeller in track progress circle which I was told means it’s buffering. When I contacted Linn support they said it may be a problem with my network or router. I am streaming Flac files from a new Synology NAS. The router is a few years old Netgear (Nighthawk R7000 AC 1900) hardwired to a couple of unmanaged gigabit switches. The Ethernet cables are a mix of cat 5 (in walls) cat 5e and cat 6. My dealer said it can’t be the Ethernet cables. I first noticed dropouts when Songcasting high res 192-24 from Klimax system to secondary system. It does occur with cd res as well and sometimes when songcasting from secondary system to klimax system. On occasion either system can vanish from Linn app home. Last time that happened even though the Klimax room wasn’t visible on Linn app and I couldn’t control it, I could start and stop the song with the remote, and the song showed on the display of the Klimax.
I suspect I’m not the only one to have encountered this problem. Has anyone had similar experience and I would greatly appreciate ideas and guidance on how to figure out the cause and solution
I guess it’s also possible the house is possessed..

Yurkot

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks so much for help, it’s a problem I’ve been dealing with for a very long time and after a few minutes it’s fixed (I hope) why my dealer couldn’t point me in the right direction, I don’t know. I had to turn the audio latency from default 300 ms to 900 ms. Dropouts seem to be gone. Is there any downside to having my audio latency turned up this high? Anything for me to watch/ listen for? Also any idea what in my network can be causing mischief (older router or switches or cabling) that may be worth investigating further or just shush and don’t look the gift horse in the mouth?
again thank you, thank you.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also any idea what in my network can be causing mischief (older router or switches or cabling) that may be worth investigating further
Glad to hear you’ve made progress. It could be any part of the network link causing the issue. Are both DS on the same switch? If not, then the router is the device that connects them, so switch>router>switch. It could also be any of the Ethernet cables in that circuit - not plugged in properly or even slightly damaged. Trial and error I’m afraid, but I would rule out one device/cable at a time.

Increasing the latency won‘t cause a problem.

‘troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought I’d added something to my post, but see it’s not there.

I was amused that your dealer was confident that it wouldn’t be your Ethernet cables. Has he tested them to confirm this? In my experience, Ethernet cables are far from indestructible.

’troll

Yurkot

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Do you think that the Klimax room or secondary room vanishing from Linn App but still responding to Linn remote is part of the same problem, or something different?

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Highly likely. One depends on the DS being visible on the network, the other, simply, that the DS is awake to respond to the remote.

’troll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online