Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a nice extruded aluminium chasis and some gold plated phono's and RCA's.

I also bought a new Pot for the volume. However I realised the volume pot on the Sonic T also turns the thing on and off.

Is there anything I need to be really careful of. Are there special Potentiometers you can buy with a switch mech as standard.

I don't want to stumble into the old Chasis without having all of the right bits to finish the job..

Ben, have you joined yet? Any advice mate?

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Hi J,

apologies if you have already seen this but his may interest you:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/t-amp_tweaks_e.html

Happy tweaking
wink.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll seek one out.

I really had planned to have it ready for the bake off, but no chance really.

Ben, are you around on the 30th? There will be some serious kit here.

It's ok guys Ben is not my imaginary friend. He's a mate of mine that is also into HiFi. he promised to drop by and say hi. He also knows about my Sonic T project so I'm sure he'll read this thread.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
A tweak I would have thought worthwhile with the Sonic T, given the TA 2024 chipset uses digital processing, is to copper screen the enclosure. Easily done with copper sheet cut to size or copper tape. Or use a screening can on the TA 2024 in much the same way high end Marantz CD players include EMC screening for improved performance of digital circuits.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Keep them comming chaps. I am a sausage fingered novice at all of this. I sell electronics, which doesn't really qualify me to fiddle with them.
biggrin.png

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
There’s an entire forum devoted to class T and class D amplification here Jampal.

Plenty of design ideas and modifications for the Sonic T depending on your skill level.

Rather than being a ‘sausage fingered novice’ buy yourself a soldering iron kit from Maplins, a desoldering pump and a pair of side cutters - the very basics - along with a couple of electronics kits to practice on (novelty door bell etc) and give it a go!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mosfet wrote:

There’s an entire forum devoted to class T and class D amplification here Jampal. Plenty of design ideas and modifications for the Sonic T depending on your skill level.

Rather than being a ‘sausage fingered novice’ buy yourself a soldering iron kit from Maplins, a desoldering pump and a pair of side cutters - the very basics - along with a couple of electronics kits to practice on (novelty door bell etc) and give it a go!
Cheers mossy.

On the Sausage front I have said kit (well I can noble it from work). The forum pointers are very gladly received.

James.

hi James, Ben here- nice forum btw, never posted on a non-IT one before! I'm sure you've had your sonic-t questions answered already - my psu has got a switch on it so when I finally get around to putting my sonic-t in a box I won't bother with an on-off button! - a bit off topic, but the wife says cheers for reminding me about hi-fi - just when the overdrafts were getting cleared..

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hahaha! Sorry mate.

Thanks for comming along, I hope you stick around for some fun. They are a harmless bunch (mostly :D ) and the music section is just getting started. All up it seems to be working out.

James.

subterranean-alien

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Lancashire, , United
AKA
Stu
Id go the seperate psu way and use that for on/off purposes. Id look at either a main based unit and use ALW super-regs or a battery based system such as this:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/bb/

If you go for a blue alps or similar may I recommend a shunt mod (cant find my diagram :Upset:). Basically this involves two high quality resistors in the signal line and shorting the wiper to earth. Its very simple and very effective.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all your advice guys.. The project is underway now. Got some bits done tonight. I would really like to have it finished in time for the bake off.

First: I took off the lid (6 Screws, 2 in battery bay 4 under sticky feet.)

lid.JPG

Long nose pliers are handy to remove the Volume Pot assembly (only needed if you are re-using it.)

pliers.JPG

Then I Carefully removed the glue on the board

careful.JPG

You need to melt the plastic tabs also

melt.JPG

Then I put all of the bits you bought on the table and looked at them for a while

Connectors%20sml.JPG

Then I decided to do some drilling instead... Drilled a load of holes in the back panel (no photo's of this as I really didn't want to stop, fanny about and fuck it up.)

Then mounted some of the bits in back plate to see what it looks like so far and make sure everything is straight.

Back%20panel%20sml.JPG

Then I took a load of photo's of the wiring and copied them onto my PC and my home web site so I always had a reference.

Wiring.JPG

Then I had a G&T.

Then I came over here to tell you what I had been up to this evening.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I will Pete.

I think I'll go for a bit of a Blog on this one. Got to buy some PCB mnounting feet tomorrow and a solder sucker . Watch this space.

James.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online