Sony A7/A7r

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin

Looks remarkable. Extends NEX traditions of noisy shutters and poor battery life but looks an ideal pairing for old Zeiss/Leica glass and is half the weight of my Nikon, costs less and likely has similar image quality.

Chris-_007

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2010
Leicestershire
AKA
Chris
Yes. I've been following developments of this for a while now. I moved away from FF Dslr a couple of years ago in favour of the size of the nex line. image quality was comparable. This is similarly sized and looks like it's designed to compete with the high end Dslr models. It will probably be my next upgrade. Not sure which one though, probably the 24m version.

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
AKA
Carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks brill. It will stand and fall on the lenses of course but they are looking a bit pricey at launch! Might be the Achilles heel.

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
I don't think there are that many lenses made that will do full justice to 36 megapixels. None of them are inexpensive...

Chris-_007

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2010
Leicestershire
AKA
Chris
I don't think there are that many lenses made that will do full justice to 36 megapixels. None of them are inexpensive...
Just taking Canon as an example, many of the Canon FDn primes have the same lens construction of the current EF models, and built better, so there are plenty out there that will be just fine and not expensive.

• Upvote
Reactions: HectorHughMunro

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I've seen some examples of image quality. They're pleasingly saturated and the A7r seems detailed. The shutter seems quite noisy but I lived for a while with a Kiev 60 so I could probably cope. The good thing about Sony is that they do discount so it may be one to watch for eight months time.

Mark LJ

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2006
Up North. Cold, Wet
I've been using the 50mm f1.8D with the D800. £87 brand new and it does an excellent job. Admittedly I use it at about f5.6 to f8 but it has excellent results in that range.

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using the 50mm f1.8D with the D800. £87 brand new and it does an excellent job. Admittedly I use it at about f5.6 to f8 but it has excellent results in that range.
Hi Mark;

My D800 body should be arriving towards early next week after being delayed in the purchase deal. Quite fancy a new Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D at that price, any pointers where to pick one up from?

pete

Mark LJ

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2006
Up North. Cold, Wet
I just got mine from Amazon - at the time it was the cheapest spot to go. With your liking for flowers it might be worth looking at the 50 1.4G though - a lot better wide open and some nice dof to play with. The 1.8D is grand stopped down a bit but not wide open.

Jerrykan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Dorsetestershire
AKA
Matthew
Just before you rush out and buy an A7 there is news of a new Nikon camera body due for release in the next couple of weeks - I can't say any more than that.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just before you rush out and buy an A7 there is news of a new Nikon camera body due for release in the next couple of weeks - I can't say any more than that.
Bond I presume? Sworn to secrecy by the O.S.A.

say no more. ;-)

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I've seen blurry pictures. I like the size of the new Nikon but the rumoured price is $3,300 for the 16 meg sensor in the D4. I think it would need to come out at 6d kind of prices to be compelling. The Sony has the advantage that the resolution means that you need fewer lenses because you can crop. The Sony samples are extraordinary; saturated and beautiful.

I think we've made all the IQ advances that we need in digital photography, the next stage is to get the kit in to a usable form factor. I really like my big Nikon camera for what it does but I'm very conscious of the way the aggressive look of it alters the way people react when I photograph them.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
If the shutter is like the other NEX, it's loud but still usable.

The other problem with the Nikon F mount is that, although you can get adapters, they often need extra elements in them.

alfie2902

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2008
Nottingham.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen blurry pictures. I like the size of the new Nikon but the rumoured price is $3,300 for the 16 meg sensor in the D4. I think it would need to come out at 6d kind of prices to be compelling. The Sony has the advantage that the resolution means that you need fewer lenses because you can crop. The Sony samples are extraordinary; saturated and beautiful. I think we've made all the IQ advances that we need in digital photography, the next stage is to get the kit in to a usable form factor. I really like my big Nikon camera for what it does but I'm very conscious of the way the aggressive look of it alters the way people react when I photograph them.
More rumour about this one here http://weeder.org/rLHWCRH# Interesting times for anyone looking at buying a FF senser!

Jerrykan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Dorsetestershire
AKA
Matthew
I've seen blurry pictures. I like the size of the new Nikon but the rumoured price is $3,300 for the 16 meg sensor in the D4. I think it would need to come out at 6d kind of prices to be compelling. The Sony has the advantage that the resolution means that you need fewer lenses because you can crop. The Sony samples are extraordinary; saturated and beautiful. I think we've made all the IQ advances that we need in digital photography, the next stage is to get the kit in to a usable form factor. I really like my big Nikon camera for what it does but I'm very conscious of the way the aggressive look of it alters the way people react when I photograph them.
Absolutely Hector, also I find the focusing screen on my D800 rather dark ( most digital cameras are set up to be used with AF lenses ) and in no way does the camera lend itself to street or informal snapping, especially with the Carl Zeiss ZF lenses I prefer. I tend to get better pictures with my Lumix GF1, it's unobtrusive, compact and quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celestion300

Latest Articles