Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2005
Bromsgrove, Worcs
AKA
Anil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On these hollowed pages, would fellow wammers consider the Sony ES range to be the equivalent of the Pioneer Reference rang?

Or would the ES be closer to Pioneer's Elite range? Was a debate I had with a couple of guys (work colleagues) who all thought the ES were higher end than Reference.

Having experienced the Reference (2 channel amp) and ES (AV amp), for music the Sony lags but that's probably because it's not a dedicated stereo amp. I have both.

Thoughts :)

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Simply:

Modern day ES stuff is probably Pioneer reference (the STR-DA AVRs, etc). The stuff from the golden days is closer to Pioneer Elite stuff, except I find the ES offerings to be far more enticing but I have not owned any Pioneer stuff myself.

I think it's all a matter of taste, but the old Sony ES stuff is going up in value now and for good reason. If it has ES in the model number, you own something which good build and the performance will be satisfying. There are some absolute peaches in the ES range (my TA-N80ES, CDP-337ESD are my favourites).

My (owned) favourite cassette deck is the TC-KA6ES and it is a superb machine, all metal construction, nice and weighted, audio is superb. People say it is a Nak beater, but it isn't. Some Sony's come close, but the Nak Dragon and other associated offerings are better.

My AVR is an STR-VA555ES which I use as a pre amplifier and to power the rear speakers. For music it is far better (it monsters, actually) the DA2400ES. My friend Stu ignored my recommendation on this and bought the DA2400ES because he wanted the HD audio formats. He eventually saw a VA555ES go on eBay for a good price, so took the plunge. Within half an hour, the DA2400 was boxed and sold. This is because it will let you turn off the audio processing (needless D/A conversions) on any analogue input and use it as a proper stereo amp. Of course, a dedicated stereo integrated of the same value would beat it, but having AC3 & DTS decoding and 2 5.1 analogue inputs make it one of the most underrated, but best value and superb performing processors I have encountered (and have experience with!)

Best way really is to go to a bake off and compare some models you like the look of. Still tempted to host a Sony ES room at Scalford next year, just not decided.

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
I always thought the Elite range of Pioneer was just the Reference range with an alternative name for different worldwide markets.

AnilS

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2005
Bromsgrove, Worcs
AKA
Anil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys.

I have a Sony DA2400ES for AV duties and it has been used for music but I've found it a little wanting. Not sure if I can turn off some of it's processing but I used the 2 ch input on the remote.

The Pioneer A-676 is the first Reference one I've owned but I've heard the more expensive reference stuff in the (distant) past and they sounded great if a little light in bass. My hearing is going and as last swansong, am giving the A-676 a go.

Does anyone have experience of an A-676?

AnilS

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2005
Bromsgrove, Worcs
AKA
Anil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thx. I'll check.

Impulse buy yesterday :)

IMG_7546.jpg

/monthly_2013_10/IMGP5851.JPG.c1367909749385a3f538b7931264c68f.JPG

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Another good japanese range is the Pioneer precision range. I have a Precision A300R and it does excellent duty running some Rogers monitors. It is a really good simple integrated amp for not much dough. It has a lively presentation that works well with slower, fuller sounding speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles