Sony ES - Speaker Gurus Please!

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
I read a thread somewhere here recently about these square driver-ed ES speakers of old, cannot find it. Any views one way or the other, making up a system for a family friend and thought a pair of these for £100 may be a good option? Anyway can previous or current owners advise.

V

Voice_Coil

I read a thread somewhere here recently about these square driver-ed ES speakers of old, cannot find it. Any views one way or the other, making up a system for a family friend and thought a pair of these for £100 may be a good option? Anyway can previous or current owners advise.
For 100 quid id go mental if someone presented me with them. :doh:

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
APM66 were a nice loudspeaker although it's decades since I heard a pair. £100 seems a lot given the unavailability of spares etc.

V

Voice_Coil

Any of them - you'd not buy for £100? Seems like a few pairs on eBay just now?
The only sony speakers id pay good money for are the la scala ones.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Balance is needed here. There are a wide variety of these APM speakers, some much better than others. I used to have tow pairs of apm141es which are lower down the range, but still quite able. £100 would be far too much for those, I think I sold them for about £50 a pair and they were in good nick. There are other APM speakers which you would have no chance to get for £100.

What models are they that you have seen? I have got to agree with previous posters that it is very likely you could do better for that amount - have you considered Kef Reference 104abs? Or B&W DM4s? Both are better than any apm speakers IMO.

:^

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
John, APM-181ES.
Right, I have had a little look, the 181s are interesting if you can get them for £60-70 or so. They are the bigger brothers of the one I had so are probably competent at least, and produce quite a lot of good bass for their size. I take it that you are matching them to other ES equipment for the system. I still think that you could find more able speakers than these for such good source equipment, keep an open mind. JPW AP3s would also be an excellent match for example and would be in budget.

:^

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan