SONY MDR-ZX300 headphones - perfect sounds for your ipod.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These are now 19.95 at Currys, thats half price. Play.com are actually doing these for 14.99 inc post!!! The phones are about 55mm wide, with really comfy pads a la small Beyerdynamic, the headbands really adjustable, and the earpieces sit lightly on top of your ears, rather than feeling like your heads in a clamp, while having your ears steamed. The faux engine turned sides in dark graphite with the chrome sony logo look great.

They are referred to as "for ipod" which essentially means you have about a metre of cable to play with, which negates them for hifi use which is a shame, although you can get extension cables for about a fiver. I actually just got them as an upgrade to the in ear ones which really annoy me after a while. They are a closed back design and not much sound leaks out.

As for the sound they are referred to as monitor series on the packaging, the biggest shock is how accurate that description is. Delicate, detailed with marvellous punchy bass and great imaging, the treble can get a little sharp at times, but thats a niggle given how cheap these are with such great build quality. A vast upgrade over the standard in ear versions. I listen lossless on my ipod, and these are terrific, I've had big name full size phones at many times the price that aren't as good. Recommended.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks Chris. :^

Mrs M would like some headphones but cannot get on with the in-ear ones at all.

Seenmyspecs?

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2008
Oakworth West Yorkshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Chris, These might be an improvement on the in ear jobs I dose off with...I've risked £15 on your say-so, I hope the responsibility wont keep you awake...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... Interesting - still since 2004 preferring clamp-on Sony MDR1700, and occasionally some little Sennheiser MX 500 things.

Use about 7 other adequate pairs on different little radios etc.

Have so far resisted stuffing mouldy-things into my external ear canals.

Rely on my dwindling amazon stock of spongey-thingummydoodahs. Have recently used usefully some 'tacky' amazon 'gummy' things instead (eventually probably even the superior amazon spongiform things will disintegrate).

Have made many pairs of plastic-coated (e.g. wire) flexible loop-things attached to earphone/fixed around pinna, so I can listen/chew/bounce around ...

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I won't suggest - to improve sound from iPod - change to something better cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online