Sony R-1 Transport/DAC

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Hi Guys,

I have the opportunity ofbuying one of thesebabies for £2k. It's mint and is supposed to be a bit of a classic. What I wondered was, how good is it? Does anyone have any experience/info, and what is your opinion of it as a top-notch CDP?

Normally, I'm not big on Japanese CD players, but concede that Sonys of this nature are a supposed to be a bit special.

Anyway, all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

R1.jpg

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
can't speak from personal experience on this one I'm afraid - but I've spoken to a couple of owners about them in the past (was going to buy a pair myself at one point) and by all accounts they are very special.

Once the lazer block goes you are buggered though - but I'm sure if you are careful and treat it well it will last and last.

G

Marco wrote:

Ok, Biscuit - noted
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
I reckon it'll sound bloody marvellous, but we'll see what happens after I've demo'd it.

Cheers.
on a mountain of mana of course.
wink.png

M

Mr Coherent

Polar opposite to naim, very rare, quite nice, but getting transport parts good luck
biggrin.png

I believe that chap on pfm has owned/sold them in the past (enjoy_the_music).

I had a pair traded last year, unrated performance for £2k your need to haggle imo

Mr.C

G

Marco wrote:

But of course... weeth thees Ferrero Rocher, you are spoiling us
tongue.png
Phase 17, amigo
you up to phase 17.

you are indeed insane.

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Mr Coherent wrote:

Polar opposite to naim, very rare, quite nice, but getting transport parts good luck
biggrin.png
I believe that chap on pfm has owned/sold them in the past (enjoy_the_music).

I had a pair traded last year, unrated performance for £2k your need to haggle imo

Mr.C
Hi Tony,

Cheers for the advice. I'm trying to get a handle on how they sound, though. When you say the "Polar opposite to Naim", do you mean sonically, and if so, in what way?

What I'm looking for is a punchy, detailed, and musicalsound. What I don't want is a soft, syrupy-rich sound that's bland and boring to listen to. Also, any idea of their original R.R.P?

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
original retail was £3 or 4000 I think. The price is in the world classics section of HFW magazines if somebody has one to hand?

I'd say punchy and detailed sums up the sound of all the Sony cdp's of that era I've had the pleasure to hear (X7ES and X777ES).

www.thevintageknob.org should give you much more info.

G

Biscuit wrote:

original retail was £3 or 4000 I think. The price is in the world classics section of HFW magazines if somebody has one to hand?
fuck me you can buy a flat here for that.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
rudolph hucker wrote:

you up to phase 17.you are indeed insane.
A veritable nutter, mon ami

Yeah, I've inherited some more Manafrom a friend and rearranged a few things, so Marco's Mana towers are somewhat loftier than ever
tongue.png

M

Mr Coherent

Marco,

They ain't syrpy, they are more hifi than music, but have a fair turn of speed and can rock a bit too.

Lovely build qality, great novelty value. though they are beginning to show their age.

Good pieces of equipment, though parts for them maybe an issue do take that into account when considering a purchase, failing that (blatant plug here
biggrin.png
) consider a Teac d70/p70 (if you wish the 2 box route) or an Esoteric X-03 the differnece is more than a little subtle, thought the price reflects this.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Mr Coherent wrote:

Marco, They ain't syrpy, they are more hifi than music, but have a fair turn of speed and can rock a bit too.

Lovely build qality, great novelty value. though they are beginning to show their age.

Good pieces of equipment, though parts for them maybe an issue do take that into account when considering a purchase, failing that (blatant plug here
biggrin.png
) consider a Teac d70/p70 (if you wish the 2 box route) or an Esoteric X-03 the differnece is more than a little subtle, thought the price reflects this.
I think Tony talks sense - they certainly aren't a 'safe' purchase at £2000.

If you like the idea of trying a jap cdp something along the lines of a late K2 Victor or Esoteric is the way to go. The Esoteric 1 box based on the P70/D70 the D-50 I think its called, should be around 2k... Lovely
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Mr Coherent wrote:

Marco, They ain't syrpy, they are more hifi than music, but have a fair turn of speed and can rock a bit too.

biggrin.png
Hi Tony,

Again, cheers for the info. I'm a bit worried about the "more hi-fi than music" bit, but we'll see once I've heard them. I reckon the rest of my system is musical enough to 'bring out the music' in them
smile.png

Do you have a D70/P70 for sale, then? If so, how much, and do you have any pictures?

Biscuit,

Cheers for the info and the link. I'll have read through it

M

Mr Coherent

Marco,

I currently do not have d70/p70 in stock, they fetch between £4500 and £5k (Used) the d70 has a direct pre-amp function too.

It just stays in touch with X03 one box, if your serious about a top quality digital front end then an audition is a must, nothing currently on the market comes close IMO

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
Ok, guys. I'll chew over all the info, do some research, and take it from there. Looks like I'll have to do some work on that £2k price, though...

Not a problem to a Scotsman
biggrin.png

G

marco a wadia 861 is the way to go ole boy. you want the best you gotta pay for it i'm affaid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0