SONY STR-DB2000 QS Dolby Digital Receiver - Phono stage problems.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I am currently using a SONY STR-DB2000 QS Dolby Digital Receiver. (don't ask). I am happy with the sound I am getting from various sources via the various inputs, i.e. CD/MD/DVD/FM/TV/VIDEO etc. However, as I have mentioned before, I am far from happy with the sound I am getting from my Phono input. I am having to turn the volume up to almost full, to get a reasonable volume from the turntable. But because this is so high, I am getting background hum. I am sure there is something wrong, but I cant put my finger on it. I am worried in case I forget to turn the volume down, and blow my speakers or something :nerves: .

Could it be the built in Phono stage is for a MM cartridge, and that the MC cartridge I am using is not suitable?. I even contemplated buying a MC phono stage, and feeding it into an AUX input. I have tried searching on line without any success.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated:upgrade:.

henkuk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2012
Fleet, Hants
AKA
Henk
The Sony site helpfully says PHONO INPUT - YES...

Something you already established yourself.

I guess you are on target by stating it is a MM stage only and you need more gain to serve up from your MC.

External phono stage.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Sony site helpfully says PHONO INPUT - YES...Something you already established yourself.

I guess you are on target by stating it is a MM stage only and you need more gain to serve up from your MC.

External phono stage.
The manual is about as much use an an ashtray on a motorbike :roll: . Looking like I might need a MC phonostage then :dunno: .

henkuk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2012
Fleet, Hants
AKA
Henk
If you get the girl too...

On the same page it also lists a Cambridge 640 for 100 quid and Musical Fidelity for less.

They both get decent write ups and I am not sure how much you want to spent.

I bought a Dino/Dino+ combo about two yrs back as I am looking to upgrade to MC in the future.

They come up second hand sometimes and particularly for MC, they get good reviews too.

Flexible in terms of cartridge loading etc.

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jeff, I've used Sony AV receivers in the past and have yet to see one with anything but an mm phono input - perhaps some of the higher end ones have switchable mc stages, but as a rule of thumb, if it only has one setting it's odds on to be mm.

Cor, I may actually just have posted some useful info on the wam. Break out the bunting, for that is a rare thing indeed!

Cheers

Martin

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I knew it would not be long before a real anorak came along :geek: . However, a definition of "Rule of thumb" reveals,

A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. So that's your idea out of the window ;-) . You're probably right. :^

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I knew it would not be long before a real anorak came along :geek: . However, a definition of "Rule of thumb" reveals, A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. So that's your idea out of the window ;-) . You're probably right. :^
Ahem, well, strictly speaking, an idea is an intangible - having no physical presence it is incapable of motion. So that's your 'that's your idea out of the window' out of another window.

I am right though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you get the girl too... On the same page it also lists a Cambridge 640 for 100 quid and Musical Fidelity for less.

They both get decent write ups and I am not sure how much you want to spent.

I bought a Dino/Dino+ combo about two yrs back as I am looking to upgrade to MC in the future.

They come up second hand sometimes and particularly for MC, they get good reviews too.

Flexible in terms of cartridge loading etc.
I saw these also. However I think if an MC Phono stage is the answer, then I think it would make more sense to buy a new CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651P with guarantee etc. for £119.95. I know they have mixed reviews, but this seems to be the answer to my problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online