Soundstage depth

toplad72

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2006
, ,
When listening to my set upof MF A3.5 and Cyrus 8vs with a pair of Neat's, I only really get a left to right soundstage; i get no depth or height. I do on occasion getinstruments and noises on the outsideof the speaker’s cabinets.

I have my speakers about 12' from the rear wall and 2 foot or more from the side walls, Shouldn't I be able to hear the vocal performance in front of the drums and guitars on Paul Wellers Stanley road CD. Everything sounds like it’s across one plane in front of the speakers, with no depth and his voice “image†is at about 18’ from the ground, about the same height of cones on my speakers

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
toplad72 wrote:

When listening to my set upof MF A3.5 and Cyrus 8vs with a pair of Neat's, I only really get a left to right soundstage; i get no depth or height. I do on occasion getinstruments and noises on the outsideof the speaker’s cabinets.I have my speakers about 12' from the rear wall and 2 foot or more from the side walls, Shouldn't I be able to hear the vocal performance in front of the drums and guitars on Paul Wellers Stanley road CD. Everything sounds like it’s across one plane in front of the speakers, with no depth and his voice “image†is at about 18’ from the ground, about the same height of cones on my speakers

G

Though i love Wellers music its often the case that the production sounds like it was all recorded using womens tights to muffle every sound:p. That said soundstage depth though great when achievable inherently can rob you of other aspects of the music. Bass response can suffer if the speakers are too far forward. Try to borrow a copy of Amused to Death by Roger Waters which apart from plenty of things going on laterally also has some depth as well. My speakers are now settled at about 20 inches from the rear wall. This means they dointrude into the room and if you co habit this can cause more friction than its worth.Without wishing to be condescending maybe your speakers can only produce a lateral soundstage but if enjoy what they do then don't worry too much .

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
Have you tried variously slight different angles of "toe in" of your speakers. You may find that helps

Jeff

E

earl of sodbury

Good call for the toe-in, but I found MF's CDPs are notably poor on soundstage depth - most audiophool visitors who heard mine commented thusly; a reasonable mains filter helped a bit, X-10v3 helped more, and internal upgrades (power supply/reclock) helped most of all, but best of all a better CDP: the Stello does TT-worthy depth, as do plenty of others...

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I usualy find about 50cm from rear wall with between 2m to 3m between speakers and .75m to 1m from side walls works for me.

Agree with toe in also, having the outside sides of the speakers just visible from the listening seat can increase the sense of depth, though I find that toe in can affect low/mid bass in my room.

Valve pre's are good for this also as is vinyl
wink.png

E

Effem

To my mind the speakers alone are not responsible for the soundstagedepth, so you can toe your speakersin, toe your speakersout, do the hokey cokey if you like and it won't make a blind bit of difference if the rest of the system isn't giving out that spatial information.

The most important element I reckon is the front end as an ampwon't create that on it's own, but a bad amp will certainly murder it

Jim

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2006
Nottingham
AKA
James
Just gone over to balanced cables and have had a very noticable depth in soundstage and a little bit more width too. Jim.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Super tweeters do it even more if I remove mine the soundstage shrinks,but you must combine isolation of kitcd player 1st and most importaint Iv heard major differences in this area,speakers solidly coupled to spikes slabs sand filled stands etc,cables used mains filter etc takes many things to build a good hifi and tune it to sound good.

I suppose if some think the soundstage sounds artificial then buy an amp with a MONO setting and listen to it like that :potherwise simplyenjoy a bigger sound than was perceivable to our room size guess thats why hifi does what it does.

My room often sounds like a huge amphitheater bass flows along the floor through the wall feeling and mid to highs are just superb films come alive too just in stereo pisses on all surround kit Iv ever heard so guess it would cost £££££s for me to get a surround system to the same standard
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
:shocked:lottery please:upgrade:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creedy