speaker cable length

captain

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 2, 2006
York, , United Kingd
Can any body tell me if having 2 different lengths of speaker cable will effect the sound. I have just moved, and one of the speakers will be about 4 meters from the amp the other just 1 meter. I want to buy asingle runand cut down and terminated my selfto savemoney, but if different lengths do not have an effect the saving will be a lot better on the pocket.

Thanks

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No difference whatsoever.

You would need an imbalance of hundreds of metres (maybe a lot more) before you would notice anything.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No! You will completely destroy theL/R imaging and soundstage depth. Probably.
wink.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW, This question has been done a million times.

I use different lengths. there is no difference.

captain

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 2, 2006
York, , United Kingd
Thanks for the info. Can anybody give me some links to sites were I can buy un-terminated lengths. Budget is around the £20-25 a meter, looking for copper any recommendations appreciated. If you know of any thing that will better a cable at that cost for a lot less would also appreciated .

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unterminated? Van Damme.

Copper is Copper is Copper old chap .

You could buy enough Van Damme to plait yourself some nice cables for that money. Also buy some sheathing from Maplins while you are there. Just to give ist some extra insulation.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
if you do you have to use heavier gauge on shorter side,also make sure they are the same colour too.

It's true cos its in my reference book of unknown references.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of audio-consumption/performance - like many things - is 'psychology'.

Depending on the nature of your equipment - electronic and head - most people probably prefer to have equal length loudspeaker-cables - I am one of those.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
thommo wrote:

If one of the speaker cable lengths is so long that the speaker's actually in another room, I'd say that would affect the sound a fair bit.
not if one ear is red & throbbing from a good self inflicted strike,van gogh sorted his cable problems didnt he,got his stereo seperation right sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.