Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2009
Barry wales, , Unite
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do some folk connect the speakers on a bi wire terminal only using a single pair of wires. The red positive to top terminal and black negative to bottom terminal. Is there any advantage in this. Hope you understand what I mean.

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do some folk connect the speakers on a bi wire terminal only using a single pair of wires. The red positive to top terminal and black negative to bottom terminal. Is there any advantage in this. Hope you understand what I mean.
I suppose you mean when the terminals are connected with linking strips on the speaker. The (odd) connection is something at least Linn recommend and is of course subject to discussion among the users; is there even a better way to connect? I must say I haven’t heard any difference but, or maybe therefore I might as well use what is recommended by the manufacturer.

Attachments

• BE1B1816-970C-42E1-914F-79E4D84EC9B1.jpeg
    BE1B1816-970C-42E1-914F-79E4D84EC9B1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

muff

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2009
Barry wales, , Unite
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose you mean when the terminals are connected with linking strips on the speaker. The (odd) connection is something at least Linn recommend and is of course subject to discussion among the users; is there even a better way to connect? I must say I haven’t heard any difference but, or maybe therefore I might as well use what is recommended by the manufacturer.
Yes that is the connection.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose, if poor quality links or bad connectors are used, that your top to bottom method will even up the impedance seen by the crossover.

Will this help? IMO half-way adequate links will remove any such benefit, YMMV.

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My previous speakers had dual posts and I connected my speaker cable black bottom red top. I tried all combinations and I preferred using this method. I replaced the original jumpers with the same cable as my speaker cable.

Reactions: Fullrange

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My speakers each consist of three separate enclosures (Bass/Bass Mid/Tweeter.

My choice of wiring could therefore be (excluding tri wiring) the two two terminals, the middle two terminals or the bottom two terminals and a host of diamond options ..

I have no idea if it makes a difference, I did experiment and also did AB in Mono ( in Mono comparing one speaker against the other) .. buggered if I could tell any difference with any combination of connection. However, for those who do, as long as it makes you happy.

Final thought on this - the only time I heard a major difference with connections was when a pal had his speakers wired out of phase .. the look on his face when he heard the difference on proper connection (a move that is clearly audible to anyone)

Reactions: newlash09

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's pointless as electrical signals are near the speed of light what will the addition of 2cm or so of copper have an effect on sound quality/signal transmission?
Bring on the jumper links, now thats end game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles