Wammer
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All

A friend of mine is nearing retirement and has decided to get back into our wonderful passtime.

He's off to a decent start as he already has a Linn Basik TT and an Ion Obelisk 1 amp. Both are being serviced and an AT95EN fitted to the TT.

So i'm helping him look for a suitable pair of speakers, he likes a fairly warm musical sound and most importantly something that will sound good at fairly low volumes.

Budget is between £200 to £300, but he would be willing to push the boat out a fair bit if something amazing came up.

Would really appreciate some Wam wisdom on anything that will suit, anything with particular synergy with the Obelisk that sounds great at lower volumes. He isn't fussed on type - so floorstanders or Standmounts both ok and it's a fair;y average sized living room (but it is a flat).

And if you have anything to sell, please let me know.

Cheers

Rich

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richer Sounds have a decent selection at this price range.

Maybe he should take his amp and have a listen.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a pair of Castle Severn 2 on sale on eBay for £200 and these are lovely sounding speaker . At odds with the current in my view bright and detailed sound that seems popular . Rather these hark back to early KEF and Wharfdale speakers . I think they would work very well with the Ion and a tt .

Reactions: dicy

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any thoughts on how a pair of Kef Coda 3's would pair with the Obelisk?

Or Kef 104/2's?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would strongly suggest that an offer be made on these as they would also be a very good buy . As the auction is ending quite soon around £100 looks like it would secure them and they would sound much better than the Kef Coda 3 . I suspect 104/2 may well be a little outside the budget but they are nice speakers . My only worry with them would be that they were not that wonderful at low levels only really coming alive with quite a bit of oomph .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294888591723?hash=item44a8bad16b:g:V20AAOSwQ7hiQNp8

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Definitely go secondhand.

Ruark Swordsman, Rega Ela, Monitor Audio 7, Royd Eden or similar.

Excellent amps, I had a 3x/Xpak but was familiar with all of them as I used to help out in a friends shop. Had a factory tour too and met Richard Hay,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.