Speaker upgrade for Quad QSP

N.Cassidy

New Wammer
Nov 29, 2018
Kingston, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all,
I listen to mainly Classical (big orchestral) music and have a significant birthday coming up next year!
Current setup Quad Vena II play as pre, QSP amp and Rega RS5 speakers.

The Regas have a good amount of bottom end but they are not the last word in definition and soundstage. They are however front ported so can sit fairly close to the wall without issue.

I do like a solid and accurate bass for percussion but not to the extent that lower strings get muddy

Obviously, I will listen to candidates but am wondering what you think of the Kef LS50 with the matching sub as a match for the Quad? That tells you my budget is around 1500-2000 but no higher!

Really like to hear instruments in a wide soundstage and liked the Audiophiliac review of the transparency and ‘disappearing sun’ of the Kef coupling.

Not a fan of overly bright top end but enough for clarity. Floor standers or stand mount fine and interested in stand mount with sun idea.

JohnyT

Wammer
Aug 14, 2022
Broadwey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Kef LS50 are a very nice speaker. A close friend of mine absolutely loves them. They still like to be out from the wall a couple of ft. As you mentioned close to the wall is this definitely a deal breaker?
If you can work with a bit of distance and with your taste in classical music may I suggest the Kef R5. At the top end of your budget costing £2K. Their not bright but very detailed at the top end which matches what your looking for.
Whilst they handle bass equally well if you want the ground to shake then they'll still need the assistance of a small sub.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles