Speaker varnish advice

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. What is the best varnish to use on veneered speakers? I have covered my diy project in Ash veneer, which is very brittle. What product is the best to use to give a high gloss finish?. Thanks.

Beemer

Wammer
Jun 18, 2023
South Lanarkshire, Scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. What is the best varnish to use on veneered speakers? I have covered my diy project in Ash veneer, which is very brittle. What product is the best to use to give a high gloss finish?. Thanks.
I used OSMO polyx satin (glossy is type 3011) to finish my IPL transmission line speakers kit. I used ash veneer and the OSMO was so easy to apply by brush. Highly recommended by IPL speaker company.
https://www.wood-finishes-direct.co...KozoyLX1jwDKgDFUSgOQFgjD5_eLjurRoCMNIQAvD_BwE

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, another vote for Osmo products, although I apply thinly with a micro fibre cloth rather than a brush.

Osmo also do tinted versions. One option to consider is a first coat in a thinned down ebony tint, wiped with a clean cloth shortly afterwards. This leaves black highlights in the wood grain which might be a look that appeals.

As with all such products, testing on a discrete patch first is strongly advised to make sure you get the finish you are seeking. Once that first coat goes down, it is much more difficult to adjust colour and grain effect with subsequent coats.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, make sure your prep work on the wood is as perfect as you can make it. As I have discovered to my regret. the wax oil finishes like Osmo will ruthlessly expose uneven sanding!

Reactions: Tony_J

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, make sure your prep work on the wood is as perfect as you can make it. As I have discovered to my regret. the wax oil finishes like Osmo will ruthlessly expose uneven sanding!
Thanks for the replies. What about melamine lacquer?

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said OSMO is a good product as is WOCA, which I prefer. Are you sure you want a high gloss finish?

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Osmo oil is really just a wax.It is not hard wearing and will need repairing/rebuffing quite frequently.
Modern Danish oil contains polyeurathane so is not really an oil finish but more of a varnish.It is hard wearing and long lasting.It is not an easy finish to apply well however and has a long drying time between coats.
Most commercial finishes are lacquer.Either single pack precatalysed or two pack acid cat.If you want a gloss finish that is the best option.You can buy it in spray cans but is generally applied with a spray gun.it dries quickly.The thinners used are nasty .
Best to get a professional polisher to do it.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Osmo oil is really just a wax.It is not hard wearing and will need repairing/rebuffing quite frequently.
Modern Danish oil contains polyeurathane so is not really an oil finish but more of a varnish.It is hard wearing and long lasting.It is not an easy finish to apply well however and has a long drying time between coats.
Most commercial finishes are lacquer.Either single pack precatalysed or two pack acid cat.If you want a gloss finish that is the best option.You can buy it in spray cans but is generally applied with a spray gun.it dries quickly.The thinners used are nasty .
Best to get a professional polisher to do it.
The Danish oil I use has no polyurethane, it’s basically pure Tung oil thinned with white spirit..
Teak oil on the other hand does and requires a cobalt drier to cure it and contains zikazorb UV stabiliser
When ever I am preparing wood for any application I use Tac rags to remove all traces of dust …
If you want a top quality product look under Bestwood wood finishes …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online