Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sometimes they don't like it eg DM4s sat on KEF Celeste-III - the DM4s sounded like they'd much rather be sitting on the floor, but the KEFs seemed not to mind being sat on. I have also sat Sony SS-70 bookshelf speakers on top of Celeste-IIIs and neither speaker seemed to mind.

Because of space considerations I'm thinking of sitting a pair of Leak Sandwich 600s on top of a pair of Tannoy Turnberries. Natch not intending to use both at once. Has anyone any experience or knowledge that might suggest that either speaker will not like it?

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My setup is in effect one pair of speakers sat ontop on another. I thought there was little effect on the sound due to the mass of the top monitors (around 35 Kg)…..but when I was loaned some Gaia feet fir them the difference was quite noticeable

Reactions: JANDL100 and chezi

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My setup is in effect one pair of speakers sat ontop on another. I thought there was little effect on the sound due to the mass of the top monitors (around 35 Kg)…..but when I was loaned some Gaia feet fir them the difference was quite noticeable
I have a feeling the boxes on the bottom of yours would vibrate a little though, regardless of the weight on top of them 😂

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem with having more than one set of speakers in a room is it will muddy the sound (the cones on the pair not connected will vibrate in sypathy)
I'm sure that's a theoretical possibility but apart from instances quoted it's not been a noticeable problem. Anyone that wants to save me the hassle of lifting a Sandwich 600 onto a Turnberry is still welcome if they know it won't work.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a set of LS3/5A sat on top of a pair of Marshall Choongs, no noticeable issues or problems to my ears. Granted these are both quite small speakers but both quite heavy.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem with having more than one set of speakers in a room is it will muddy the sound (the cones on the pair not connected will vibrate in sypathy)
You can always short the redundant speaker terminals and reduce this issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem with horns either ;)

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a pair of amphion argon one on top of my tannoy eaton legacy . Both have never sounded better , doesnt affect them in the slightest .

In fact i am frequently amazed how good the tannoys sound as as a fairly frequent box swapper they have stayed a fair while now

Reactions: Tony_J

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can always short the redundant speaker terminals and reduce this issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem with horns either ;)
Good tip. Also used when transporting transmission line speakers.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That was the old Linn "single speaker demo" kool-aid.
Has nothing to do with Linn ... a scientific fact .. when I bought my first speakers back in 1971 the guy in the hifi shop told me the speakers I had chosen would sound even better at home due to the lack of other speakers in the listening room, which vibrate in sypathy and muddy the sound.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have my KEFS one on top of the other as standard and use some weight calibrated feet between the bottom one and granite plinth and the top and bottom one . They sound excellent and works as a full there way active .

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any small speaker will always sound better on dedicated stands , even larger speakers for that matter ..
But you do need to trial different combinations.. I currently have 5 different stands which I can choose from . All have their own characteristics..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles