Squash

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Any other fans in here? I used to play quite a bit, but boy, I have let that slip.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the BBC have currently got the World Championship on the red button, so I was able to tune in to some last night.

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a crime it's not in the Olympics given the other kinds of "sports" e.g. beach volleyball that find their way in. Not enough bribe money for the IOC obviously. I played Kent and Surrey league squash for nearly 25 years until a couple of years ago when a back problem caused me to give up so I suppose I'm a bit biased. Professional squash players are some of the fittest guys on the planet and have amazing racquet skills - it's just a shame they can't be showcased at the highest level.

Even though the filming of squash has improved greatly in recent years with all glass courts, coloured floors, more visible balls and the move to point a rally scoring it's still a little hard for the uninitiated to understand the subtleties of the game. The BBC can't afford to compete with the likes of Sky and BT for the big ticket sports like football, rugby etc so it's going to have to cast around for more "minority" sports to publicise. Hopefully squash will one of those that benefits.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Fucking awesome game. I used to play loads about 10 years ago. Sadly, not so much these days. :(

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Professional squash players are some of the fittest guys on the planet and have amazing racquet skills
Watching some of the rallies yesterday, it was ridiculous how early they were taking the ball.

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Have you seen this? James Willstrop sending the world no 1 the wrong way(s)!

[video=youtube;XR2EZrqrG04]

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Played it a fair bit in my late teens and wasn't too shabby, I was even better at badminton though. :)

Haven't hit anything with a racket for about 20 years though. :(

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to love it until I did my knee in. I played from 15 through to my early twenties and umpteen times a week. Awesome game.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Have you seen this? James Willstrop sending the world no 1 the wrong way(s)![video=youtube;XR2EZrqrG04]

I’m jealous of that level of fitness. Once you pass forty you have to work twice as hard to maintain a reasonable level of fitness which coincides with the time knees and backs start to play up. Unless you happen to be one of those middle-aged genetic freaks.

G

Played (averagely) for 30 + years.

In the end, spent more time (and £) down the physio, than on court, so had to pack it in while I could still walk.

Plus I could see an on court cardiac arrest happening one day.

So sadly my squash balls are under the amps these days.

Brilliant game, physical & mental torture.

Will look out for the red button thing Mark as its never on telly.

And dont get me started on the Olympic thing!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ IOC $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a game I've never tried & I'm too old/inflexible to try now. A pity because it looks like fun. However with swinging racquets, walls, other players all in close proximity, it wouldn't last long or end well!

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
It's a game I've never tried & I'm too old/inflexible to try now. A pity because it looks like fun. However with swinging racquets, walls, other players all in close proximity, it wouldn't last long or end well!
Yeah, it's always been regarded as one of those "get fit to play" sports, rather than "play to get fit", sadly. :(

At uni, about half a dozen of us got seriously into it. I remember a mate who went into Nottingham and bought himself a swanky new racket for the game that evening. About three points into the first game, he'd totalled it on the side wall. He was not best pleased. :rofl:

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Those bats have far bigger heads than the ones I used to use, must make the game a lot easier :)

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Those bats have far bigger heads than the ones I used to use, must make the game a lot easier :)
It really does. I learnt on my dad's (very good) small-headed wooden rackets. The sweet spot on those was absolutely tiny.

I remember the first Prince 'tear drop' shape racket I bought. My word, I thought I was some kind of squash deity. It made the game so much easier to play.

G

Last time we moved I found my old wooden squash bats in the loft.

No idea how we ever hit the ball as the head was the size of a small side plate.

G

I used to play a bit of Racquetball against my Dad YEARS ago, remember radical??

G

Remember when those mega bouncy kids Supaballs/Superballs came out?

We thought it would be hilarious to see if you could play squash with one.

One serve & we had to evacuate the court.

Somewhere in Leicestershire there's a squash court with a Supaball still bouncing round in it.

G

Remember when those mega bouncy kids Supaballs/Superballs came out?We thought it would be hilarious to see if you could play squash with one.

One serve & we had to evacuate the court.

Somewhere in Leicestershire there's a squash court with a Supaball still bouncing round in it.
:rofl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online