Squeezebox3 to Sonos Connect

gareth

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

Been running an SB3 with output fed into my DAC as my source for a while. Now that Logitech has pulled out of this game, I'm aware that if my SB3 dies then the Sonos connect is the likely replacement (and will be used in same way with DAC out).

Anyone gone down this route before? Was there any noticeable difference?

I'd hope, that given I'm not using the on-board DAC in either case, there shouldn't be any negative effects and it'll generally be the same.

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from the SB Touch to Sonos.

I was never totally convinced with the Touch. I never felt immersed on the music i.e. no involvement.

I tried a Sonos and am much happier with not only the sound quality but the ergonomics.

I have never tried direct from the Connect and use a valve based Dac. Their is a wonderful analogue quality to the sound which was immediately noticeable.

I honestly don't feel I am missing Cd playback.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I'd wait until the SB3 dies - tbh it should last years, there's not much to go wrong with the hardware. There are lots of things coming out from many of the traditional hifi companies, and also loads of DIY possibilities.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
The only problem you will have is if your music library is >65,000 tracks. Or you currently use 3rd party plugins.

belloire

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i've gone through SB3, SBTouch and am now on Sonos.

love the ease of adding Sonos units (i have 2 at the moment, and will end up with more) and making groups etc.

the only thing i have noticed as a, kind of, downside is the lack of 24bit support. i don't have many 24bit files, but i do have a few studio masters. shan't be going back though.

iquadius

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2011
Bangor NI
AKA
Mike
why not buy a spare if you like it so much, I have picked up a few duet recievers as I dont wish to change my set up for quite a while ...... M

gareth

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm more inclined, given it's inevitability to embrace the move and switch earlier rather than resist it and find a spare. AlanB mentions the improved interface of the Sonos and this could be a factor itself as not only is the SB3 hardware stuck but also it's software. That said, it plays my FLac library and also streams Spotify, so it does what I need it to really. For the moment...

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not sure why there's concern about the Squeezebox range. The software is open source and there are already a multitude of ways to carry on using the interface without the hardware - Vortexbox, iPeng, Squeezeberry and Squeezeplayer to name a few across several platforms. There is also an ongoing project to create the next-gen software, called ickstream.

I needed another player recently and couldn't get a Boom - so I simply bought an iPod dock, plugged in an old ipad running iPeng and now have effectively the same thing.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I'm not sure why there's concern about the Squeezebox range. The software is open source and there are already a multitude of ways to carry on using the interface without the hardware - Vortexbox, iPeng, Squeezeberry and Squeezeplayer to name a few across several platforms. There is also an ongoing project to create the next-gen software, called ickstream. I needed another player recently and couldn't get a Boom - so I simply bought an iPod dock, plugged in an old ipad running iPeng and now have effectively the same thing.
This. The only thing which will eventually happen is that all the 3rd party service providers like Spotify and Napster will change their APIs and then there will be no official support for them. But the community is so active that I'm hoping the clever types over there can continue to make them work.

gareth

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the server side software SqueezeCentre is no longer actively developed so stuck where it is. True there are plugins and front ends such as iPeng which work well but the fact the server software itself isn't supported is likely to lead to issues sometime.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I'm hoping that someone buys the IP. There's a guy I know who floated his company, got £200m, then bought the whole thing back for £2m when the price crashed. Sure the city aren't too keen on him, but I think he's relaxed about that. If Sean Adams could buy the Squeeze IP for £100k, surely all would be happy? It's worth sod all as it is.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I think the server side software SqueezeCentre is no longer actively developed so stuck where it is. True there are plugins and front ends such as iPeng which work well but the fact the server software itself isn't supported is likely to lead to issues sometime.
Read up. That was just covered by surayne. And the fact it's not being officially developed means nothing. It's way ahead of everything else on the market in terms of flexibility and functionality - including Sonos. They won't be catching up any time soon.

gareth

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm reminded of some software I used to use called MusicIP. It hooked up to SqueezeBox well and basically allowed you to create playlists based off a seed track. Not entirely sure how it worked but it did work very well. This was about 5-7 years ago and before Apple Genius came out. For it's time, MusicIp was far better than any playlist generator I've seen today but as you can probably guess where this is going it's no longer developed or in any active state nor works with Squeezecentre anymore. Shame, as I really liked it.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I'm reminded of some software I used to use called MusicIP. It hooked up to SqueezeBox well and basically allowed you to create playlists based off a seed track. Not entirely sure how it worked but it did work very well. This was about 5-7 years ago and before Apple Genius came out. For it's time, MusicIp was far better than any playlist generator I've seen today but as you can probably guess where this is going it's no longer developed or in any active state nor works with Squeezecentre anymore. Shame, as I really liked it.
I remember MusicIP very well, I think a few people still use it. It's a good example of a plugin that Sonos will never develop for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benolli

Latest Articles