Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am due hopefully my pre back from art audio, bit of a conundrum.

my usual cartridge is a van den hul grasshopper , low output, 200 ohm impedance, but the vp1 is mm only, I do have a back up a music maker mm but it's a poor fit on my tone arm (tri planar mk7) so choice is change arm or get a suitable step up.

No sure what I need in way of step up or mc phono stage,or what is compatible, not to fussy about format , tube or silica,

other choice is tone arm, what is fit for a Hadcock, is stogi any cop with the music maker?

my budget is £500 ish, I have had to blow the esl 57 budget , and more

on the Art audio amps, so this is all that's left.

thanks folks

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not get in touch with Tom before he sends it back. I'm sure he could convert the phonostage to suit your cart.

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I presume you've tried the music maker with the triplanar and they don't match we'll? Anyway, I'd definitely get a step up. May be sell the music maker as well to fund?

rahman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 6, 2008
Dublin
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
decca MI's are supposedly a good fit with hadcocks and you would also avoid the need for a SUT as well.

biker boy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2008
Nottingham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not get in touch with Tom before he sends it back. I'm sure he could convert the phonostage to suit your cart.
Spot on advise, Definitive Audio use one of Tom's SUT for their range, and very good it is too, he could fit one of these into your preamp prior to return.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funnily enough I am borrowing diceman's Art VP1 at the moment. JP (Diceman) uses a Partridge SUT from Martha's dad and likes it and I used my own Puresound T10 which was fine. Sounded lovely - an upgrade from my resident P10. JP prefers the SUT into the MM input over the built in transformers (this VP1 is MC/MM).

Jack

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jack, You have borrowed a Vinyl 1 not a VP1. The VP1 is a pre-amp with integrated MM phono stage and is different to the Vinyl 1 (stand alone phono stage).

My experience could be a cartridge matching issue with the ART Audio internal transformers - I just don't know what it is or what ratio but the 1:6 Partridge 977 transformers sounded better with my Lyra Dorian (0.6mV output and I believe similar to the Grasshopper?). I wonder if the same result would be heard with a different lower output cartridge?

Tom at art is a BS free type of guy and pretty reasonable cost wise so it is worth asking if he can provide a matching transformer for your cartridge or borrow a few and buy one.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks folks, Tom is tweaking the pre and swapping the power, so will talk to him about a step up, had a vinyl 1, loved it, did not realise Tom does standalone sut's,

btw, he was raving about his home brew silver speaker cables, £15k to you guv, foo?

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks folks, Tom is tweaking the pre and swapping the power, so will talk to him about a step up, had a vinyl 1, loved it, did not realise Tom does standalone sut's, btw, he was raving about his home brew silver speaker cables, £15k to you guv, foo?
Ooof - maybe he is looking to retire ;-)

I have a set of his silver speaker cables from around 1995. I suspect they are quite different!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online