For Sale

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it's finally time for me to move on this excellent DIY Preamp.

It uses the Stereo Coffee LDR passive volume boards and incorporates a separate fully modded clone Musical Fidelity X-10D valve buffer, using a pair of 6922/E88CC valves and upgraded with top notch parts including Jantzen Superior Z-Cap capacitors.

This is the second one of these I had built according to my requirements by a friend with 35+ years of audio engineering experience. The first one is now in the hands of @JANDL100 of this parish if you want an unbiased view of the build/sound quality etc. This second one is in a slightly smaller case though and has the power supply in a separate unit to further help to reduce noise.

It has been wired up so you can connect it any which way you like, so you can use it as a straight LDR passive, a straight valve buffer or (my preferred way of using it) with the LDR first followed by the buffer, plus tube rolling opportunities too, so a bit of a tweakers dream.

The buffer runs in pure Class A I believe and has an output impedance of not a lot, so makes for a nice easy load for your amp/speakers.

It has 2 inputs (selected from the rear) and the volume is remote controlled. It is about 18 months old.

Have decided go 'no preamp' in both of my systems now, so biting the bullet and looking for some cash to bring forward a new DAC purchase.

Hard to price, but with the parts and labour costs I spent on it, I think £380 including free delivery (UK only) is about right. I do however hate risking couriers, so if you come and collect from me here in the East Midlands (near Melton Mowbray), it's yours for £350.

I think this is a very reasonable price for a unit based on the design of the Tortuga Audio LDR3000T which used to sell for $3k (and I would argue the components in this are higher grade too).

Any questions, just PM me.

Cheers

Karl

DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0617.JPG DSC_0618.JPG IMG-20220218-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: garn63

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to ask but it is not in any of the photos , I am sure the power supply is included in the sale ?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... This is the second one of these I had built according to my requirements by a friend with 35+ years of audio engineering experience. The first one is now in the hands of @JANDL100 of this parish if you want an unbiased view of the build/sound quality etc.
Yup, I've still got it.

Using the Stereo Coffee preamp part comes and goes depending on whether I'm currently hosting an integrated or a power amp.
It's very transparent and detailed.

The valve buffer section, though, has proved to be indispensable. It really firms up and focuses instrumental and vocal images. Bypass it and the sound becomes relatively smeared and flat, regardless of the other components in use in the system. I use it 100% of the time.

This unit is worth having just for the valve buffer section imo.
I regard the LDR preamp as a useful adjunct available when needed.

Glws.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add that I can even offer ongoing service support with this unit via the original builder who is based in the Midlands, for added peace of mind in case of any issues down the line.

JSB

New Wammer
Jul 23, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still here and waiting for a lucky new owner
I am a bit confused about the layout. I would like 3 inputs (dac, phono & tuner. If, for example, I used the 2 ldr inputs for the dac & phono, would I be able to connect the tuner via the buffer - I have 2 inputs on the power amp?
many thanks, J.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easier to think of this unit as 2 separate units in one chassis. The buffer is just that, a 'unity gain' buffer, with no attenuation (i.e no volume control), so if you connect up the buffer, you need a volume control somewhere (either before it or after it).

The LDR is a separate high quality volume control, which can be connected in series with the buffer (either before or after it). However, if you bypass the LDR section by connecting a source such as a tuner straight into the buffer, you get no attenuation (unless there is one built into your tuner?) so in short, no.

The point of the buffer is to add some 'active' circuitry to the otherwise 'passive' LDR, the main benefit being you don't have to worry about impedance matching or longer cable runs.

Hope that makes sense.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add, that the buffer also adds a bit of valve 'body' to the sound, so it is a great thing to add in series with a 'thin' or 'colder' digital source for example.

JSB

New Wammer
Jul 23, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add, that the buffer also adds a bit of valve 'body' to the sound, so it is a great thing to add in series with a 'thin' or 'colder' digital source for example.
Many thanks for your fulsome response. I suppose I could always use a splitter on one input - not ideal though. Would adding another input be a viable option? Is the knob on the back the input selector?
Finally, do you connect the ldr ‘out’ to the buffer ‘in’ to activate the buffer?

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many thanks for your fulsome response. I suppose I could always use a splitter on one input - not ideal though. Would adding another input be a viable option? Is the knob on the back the input selector?
Finally, do you connect the ldr ‘out’ to the buffer ‘in’ to activate the buffer?
It may be possible to fit another input. I have asked the question of the guy who built it for me. If possible, obviously there may be some cost involved, but presumably fairly minor.

Alternatively you could use a little external switch box to switch between 2 of your sources into a single pair of RCA connections. Relatively cheap thing to get.

Finally, yes, if you want the LDR volume control AND the buffer connected, the best way is to connect the buffer 'after' the LDR. So you would connect your sources to the two LDR inputs (yes, input selector is the knob on the back), then connect the LDR 'out' to the Buffer 'in'. Then it's Buffer 'out' to your amp.

I am based near Melton Mowbray and you are more than welcome to come and have a listen prior to purchase.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, response back now from my guy. He thinks it's possible to fit another input as the LDR boards were designed with 3 inputs in mind, so there should be space. Cost would be about £60 to £80 or so.

JSB

New Wammer
Jul 23, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It may be possible to fit another input. I have asked the question of the guy who built it for me. If possible, obviously there may be some cost involved, but presumably fairly minor.

Alternatively you could use a little external switch box to switch between 2 of your sources into a single pair of RCA connections. Relatively cheap thing to get.

Finally, yes, if you want the LDR volume control AND the buffer connected, the best way is to connect the buffer 'after' the LDR. So you would connect your sources to the two LDR inputs (yes, input selector is the knob on the back), then connect the LDR 'out' to the Buffer 'in'. Then it's Buffer 'out' to your amp.

I am based near Melton Mowbray and you are more than welcome to come and have a listen prior to purchase.
Having thought long and hard about the Coffee preamp, I have decided not to pursue it further.

This is mainly based on the fact that I have to consider the ease of use for my partner, who would complain at the "complexity" of operation.

Thank you for your offer to visit, and if I were based a bit nearer (Lowestoft area) I should have been tempted to have a listen.

Best of luck with the sale.

Reactions: karlsushi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.