Streamer support for BBC Radio, summer '23?

Smonks

Wammer
Dec 12, 2022
Leeds, Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With the upcoming chnages to how you can access BBC Radio this summer, I'd be interested to know which Streamers are going to still offer access to BBC Radio.
I was considering purchasing an Auralic Aries G1.1 but as far as I can tell, they don't plan on doing anything to provide access to BBC Sounds. I understand TuneIn and VTuner (?) will no longer be able to access the BBC stations.
Access to 6music, amongst others, is critical for me so if Auralic don't intend on supporting these changes then it's a loss of a potential sale from me.

What options are out there?

The Holo Audio Red using the Logitech Media Server option will be able to access BBC Sounds I believe.

THought it would be interesting to put a list together of Streamers that will support the upcoming canges.

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
iPad on a nice stand connected to a DAC via USB. I guess that this is not audiophile enough for some, but for me it's a best streamer you can get.
Always up to date with everything and if you could really tell a difference between this and Auralic in a blind test then I'll give you £1000, haha.
Have a good day..

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't you copy the url, over to the streamer and play that? I have done that on my BluOs before.

I never listen to the BBC, thought TuneIn had gone already?

Auralic has Bluetooth, so you should be able to stream from your device to it.

It also has Airplay 2, if you have an Apple device, that maybe better.

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think all BBC radio stations are streamed at at most 320 kbps? If so then options like bluetooth streaming from a phone/tablet probably aren't necessarily 'problems' from an audio quality perspective in the same way they would be for streaming higher quality sources.

(My main personal gripe with BBC streams being removed outside of the Sounds app is that the Sounds app doesn't have an alarm feature (unlike the old iPlayer app) and I like to have Radio 4 to come on as my morning alarm. The app I currently use for this looks like it will stop working along with others :( .)

Reactions: justinhd

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cambridge Audio have assure me the the CXNv2 uses the MPEG-DASH streams and will continue to work after the switch off. That said I do occasionally still hear the announcement on Radio 3. I did try to ask the BBC about this but the contact form on the website wasn’t working so I gave up.

If all else fails, Minimstreamer running on a NAS or pi etc can transcode the DASH-MPEG or LMS streams such that any UPNP streamer can use them.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This may be another one that's not audiophile for many. Sonos supports BBC Sounds via ita app - sinply add it as a source and log in. It stopped supporting Beeb stations on TuneIn a long time ago, probably the same time the Sounds plugin became available.

Using an optical output from my Connect into an external DAC yields decent enough results. Not up to the quality of Radio Paradise though.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Auralic only uses Apple for control, is that correct?

If so you can stream this from your iphone/ipad etc by Airplay 2, which I think is better than Bluetooth, from what I have read.

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Using an optical output from my Connect into an external DAC yields decent enough results. Not up to the quality of Radio Paradise though.
Probably only on a paper.
Here, iPad connected to RME dac sounds as good as anything (including Radio Paradise).

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Auralic only uses Apple for control, is that correct?

If so you can stream this from your iphone/ipad etc by Airplay 2, which I think is better than Bluetooth, from what I have read.
Yes, Auralic app is for iOS only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles