Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking to improve my streaming set up. Nonlal drives just streaming from Spotify. I currently use an ipad airplay linked to apple TV with an optical output to my DAC. This sounds thin and loose compared with my cd player.
I'm told a streamer that I control Spotify with my ipad from will improve things notably and was recommended a Auralic Aries mini but they seem to be thin on the ground...so looking for an alternative for less than £500.

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a 4m usb out at the back if the iPad straight into the usb of the dac mate and thin it aint. Maybe worth the wee trio to Liverpool to have a nosey/listen.

Trumpton Riots

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2022
Stoke on Trent
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve, try a WIIM Mini for £100 hooked up to your Dac & streams direct from your hub.

Although might be the DAC that's causing the issues?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not use Tidal, Deezer or Qobuz, sound quality is better for same price, in fact Deezer is lower.

You could get a Bluesound Node2 for about £200 used.

Last edited:

loosend

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2010
Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There’s been an Aries Mini for sale on PFM with linear Piwer supply for the past week or so

volante

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2008
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is an Allo USBridge Signature on the auction site for £280. Just connect to your router with an ethernet cable, download Moode audio or Volumio (and others) onto the onboard mini memory card, plug into a decent 5V PSU and connect to your DAC via USB and you have a streamer you can control from your IOS device (don't use Airplay) and you have a streamer/network bridge.
See review:https://darko.audio/2020/06/allos-usbridge-signature-review/
I have no connection with the seller.

stokiebloke

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2013
Sunny Stafford
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm looking to improve my streaming set up. Nonlal drives just streaming from Spotify. I currently use an ipad airplay linked to apple TV with an optical output to my DAC. This sounds thin and loose compared with my cd player.
I'm told a streamer that I control Spotify with my ipad from will improve things notably and was recommended a Auralic Aries mini but they seem to be thin on the ground...so looking for an alternative for less than £500.
Project stream S2 will stream Spotify direct from your WiFi router. It's ok as a budget streamer, but does have its limitations. Apple and Android control apps. I'm happy with mine streaming CDs ripped to flac.

DCS

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2010
NR Glasgow
AKA
Donny
I’ve seen the Cambridge Audio 851n go for around £500 as C grade stock on eBay, sold by Cambridge Audio. I control my 851n from my iPad using Spotif.
The DAC in the 851n is not to bad either IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles