Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK.
AKA
Russell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have two systems based around streamers. The first is a pimped Bluesound Node 2i, the second is an Advance Paris WTX StreamPro.

I subscribe to Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio for Hi Res files.

My question surrounds the Advance Paris WTX Streamer as no matter what I do, I can't get any higher bit rate than CD quality 16/44.1khz, when streaming the identical track from Qobuz via the Node 2i, I can get 24/192khz or whatever the track is available in.

The specs of the WTX StreamPro suggest it can handle up to 24/192khz and even Hans Beekhuyzen says so on his glowing review of this streamer on his YouTube channel.

Any suggestions???

Weeman1973

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK.
AKA
Russell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure. Are you using Bluetooth?

Cable same as Node?
Yes, everything's the same.

I stream via ethernet cable into both streamers (don't have the Bluetooth module for the Advance) and then out to the DAC via Optical cable.

The DAC accepts and plays back the higher bit rate from the Node 2i, but only shows as 16/44.1 when using the Advance as the source.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While the Adavnce says it accepts signals in HD format it may not send digital out in that format just convert the HD to Analogue for that output. It is also possible that HD is only on the SPDIF output and not the optical might be worth giving that a try .

Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HD is only on the SPDIF output and not the optical might be worth giving that a try
Seem to remember a piece of kit I had wouldn't accept hi-res over optical .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Bazzer this is streamer and the digital input is via Ethernet cable or USB I was talking about the digital output on the unit which is only Ptical and SPDIF . There is additional cost to put in the better Optical output board which allows HD and in some cases this is not used . While the SPDIF output is a simple straight through from the original input at the same levels.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Bazzer this is streamer and the digital input is via Ethernet cable or USB I was talking about the digital output on the unit which is only Ptical and SPDIF . There is additional cost to put in the better Optical output board which allows HD and in some cases this is not used . While the SPDIF output is a simple straight through from the original input at the same levels.
Sorry thought there was a separate DAC involved .

Reactions: bencat

Weeman1973

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK.
AKA
Russell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While the Adavnce says it accepts signals in HD format it may not send digital out in that format just convert the HD to Analogue for that output. It is also possible that HD is only on the SPDIF output and not the optical might be worth giving that a try .
It is the same on either Optical or Coaxial outs into the DAC.

Even if I use the internal DAC (Wolfson WM8740 chip), the display on the playing screen on the app shows CD - 16 bits / 44.1khz

After reviewing their website again, nowhere does it specifically say that it's able to output at up to 24/192khz, it just says that the DAC chip can accept signals of up to 24/192.

Maybe Advance Paris are being clever with their description and merely saying that the DAC chip CAN handle higher bit rates, however the streamer itself doesn't, but having said that, it does have the Hi Def /Hi Res Audio logo's all over the website and box or perhaps 16/44.1khz is considered Hi Res....

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Bencat is right, try the SPDIF output if you can.
It is the same on either Optical or Coaxial outs into the DAC.

Even if I use the internal DAC (Wolfson WM8740 chip), the display on the playing screen on the app shows CD - 16 bits / 44.1khz

After reviewing their website again, nowhere does it specifically say that it's able to output at up to 24/192khz, it just says that the DAC chip can accept signals of up to 24/192.

Maybe Advance Paris are being clever with their description and merely saying that the DAC chip CAN handle higher bit rates, however the streamer itself doesn't, but having said that, it does have the Hi Def /Hi Res Audio logo's all over the website and box or perhaps 16/44.1khz is considered Hi Res....
Seems a bit odd if its sending 24/192 to the DAC, why is it only outputting at 16 bit?

I would contact the manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles