Streaming platforms: Tidal vs Qobuz etc.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you only subscribe to Qobuz, then Roon will show the available versions in Qobuz plus whatever files you have stored locally. By subscribing to both Tidal & Qobuz, the available choices and versions for artists is significantly widened (i.e. Tidal fills in an artist catalogue if incomplete on Qobuz and vice versa).

Many people (as can be seen from comments on this thread, forum and elsewhere) just see Roon as another method to control a streaming subscription, play local files, etc. That functionality is extremely basic in Roon; all the other stuff it can do to enable discovery and enjoyment of music is immense. It really does need to be properly experienced, set up properly, over quite a period in order for users to fully realise and exploit its potential.
Thanks. I only use one streaming site, at the moment Qobuz and I only have a few downloads stored. I'm not sure it will be much good to me and it is about £90 per annum. I discovery music elsewhere, I probably discover too much to be able to play it all. I don't use playlists or favourite albums. I can understand using Roon if you have a large collection stored locally and also use streaming sites. Seems a lot of the information on Roon is from Allmusic, which I use anyway and that's free.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Roon to me seems like an interesting concept but it's wildly overpriced compared to what I might consider paying for it. At something more like £2 per month I would consider it.

One bonus for some with Roon is that it provides a means of applying digital EQ, but I have that covered elsewhere.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Roon to me seems like an interesting concept but it's wildly overpriced compared to what I might consider paying for it. At something more like £2 per month I would consider it.

One bonus for some with Roon is that it provides a means of applying digital EQ, but I have that covered elsewhere.
Prices went up a lot in 2019, from $499 to $699 for lifetime, it is still $119 per annum. Having missed the cheaper price there is no way I would pay $699. At least they charge you in $s not £s at the same amount. 

The problem with lifetime is they could disappear soon after you have paid.

I see how Roon could work in some systems but does not seem worth it for me, I don't have my albums ripped or have many downloads, I just stream from Qobuz or another streaming service. Album reviews that are on Roon are same as on Allmusic, these are also on Tidal. 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to have a Tidal account but cancelled it several months ago following me ripping my 900 CD collection to use in my Auralic and Innuos streamers. I intermittently used Spotify but the quality just wasn’t the same and so even though I was paying my subscription I hardly ever used it. Then out of curiosity I signed up to Tidal and wow what a difference in sound quality. There is a difference between ripped CDs and Tidal but of course we don’t know if it’s the same recording or not and in any event it requires really concentrated listening to try to discern a difference on my Auralic Altair G1. I remember that when I first got the Altair that I did some tests and using the integrated Tidal app sounded a bit better than the Tidal Connect app. Anyway I am just relaxing listening to the music and it’s great. Very happy especially as in a Portugal it’s much cheaper than the UK.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A quick note about using the Innuos Sense app with a streaming account, in my case Tidal, and also having ripped CDs. The Sense app shows you all Tidal and my ripped CDs in the same window and from what I have read this is what Roon does. I have never used Roon as it is too expensive for what it is and the Innuos Sense app is just such a pleasure to use.

ola_strandberg

New Wammer
May 1, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I ask a question aside from sound: I am a long time Tidal user, and I’m noticing more and more that only the most recent edition of albums seem available - i.e. when a remaster/reissue is released, the original disappears. Not sure if this is depending on record label or platform though… Can anyone share an insight? For example Roger Waters Amused to Death, there is only the 2015 remaster available on Tidal, but I want to listen to the original one. I have thought of this a few times recently, although I can’t recall examples right now.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I tried Amazon Unlimited today. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with either my Cambridge 851n or my Squeezebox Touch. It was compatible with a CCA, but the quality of that, using the Cambridge as the DAC, was nowhere near streaming Qobuz directly through the Cambridge as a streamer and DAC.

Generally, I use Spotify and Qobuz, with both compatible with both my streamers. I still find Spotify far superior to the others, for the music lover, with a better catalogue, algorithm and user interface. Just as an example, Qobuz has given me Ed Sheeran and the Travelling Willburys in my latest weekly selection, following last week's Chris DeBurgh - it could not be more wrong!

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Can I ask a question aside from sound: I am a long time Tidal user, and I’m noticing more and more that only the most recent edition of albums seem available - i.e. when a remaster/reissue is released, the original disappears. Not sure if this is depending on record label or platform though… Can anyone share an insight? For example Roger Waters Amused to Death, there is only the 2015 remaster available on Tidal, but I want to listen to the original one. I have thought of this a few times recently, although I can’t recall examples right now.
Deleting previous versions is an option on one of my platforms so check your Tidal settings.

Last edited:

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I ask a question aside from sound: I am a long time Tidal user, and I’m noticing more and more that only the most recent edition of albums seem available - i.e. when a remaster/reissue is released, the original disappears.
Happens on all streaming platforms. Annoying, as remasters are often compressed to f*ck. From Tidal's perspective, why wouldn't they free up the server space.

One of the reasons I listen to mainly CD rips stored on my streamer's hard drive.

Ademondo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2013
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm obviously being thick here, but wtf is
&amp? 🙄
It's because the msg was in HTML. Very simplistically, notational formatting protocol for web pages.

Some characters are reserved because they mean something specific in HTML eg '<' or '&'
So to represent that character in HTML you need a code eg &amp
It's an ampersand in HTML speak.

Read it as &

Ademondo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2013
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone using Silent Angel for streaming with their ViTOS software?

I've used a few - Audirvana, BlueOS, Tidal app (Mac) and currently ViTOS. As far as switching between stream sources, ViTOS is easiest so far. Very nice interface. Tdal, Qobus, Amazon, UPNP, local NAS all there and easy to flick between. The internet radio part seems to be the weakest link but updates are often so they may fix it. Meanwhile, I've also got LMS on a RPI4 steaming to squeezeboxes around the house. AirPlay plugin allows me to see the SA on LMS and I can stream Radio Paradise to the main system that way.

I'm a Tidal user but the cons are catching up with the pros tbh; the focus on a certain genre of music is a frustration for me.

I went the whole MQA route - Mytek Brooklyn in my case. But now running the M1T into a H390 and very happy with the results.

I will watch the MQA news along with the Tidal hires flac news with interest before possibly jumping ship.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles