Sugden CD21 anybody?

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
Hey, has anybody tried this CDP? As some may or may not know, I'm in the market for a new player and this is at the top of my budget. Is it worth the extra outlay? Others in my crosshairs are the Naim CD5i and possibly the Whitter-approved BBC Denon jobbie. I'm after as analogue a sound I can get with a nice taut and deep bass. Warm is the keyword here! The Sugden soundslike itprovides what I'm looking for but then again maybe do the others. Any views guys?

arjn

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
it is purely IMHO, but as far as CDPS go better to choose one which is most detailed and neutral that you can for the money. If you like warmth, its better to let the CDP+Amp combination to provide for that. its usaaly a better idea ot have any colurations as far away from the source as you can. its primary objective should be to get the most detail in the cleanest way possible.

But if you are interested in warmth, the CD 21 is good, but it synergises well with the A21.. but may not be all that great with other amps.

you could also try the Rega planet..that you might like as well

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to have the CD21, along with the A21 amp. Deepest tautest bass... NO. Warmth, natural flowing organic presentation YES. Its a very good machine.

However... allegedly the CD Master is slightly better, though slightly more expensive, and very rare second-hand.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
I used to have the CD21, along with the A21 amp. Deepest tautest bass... NO.
Is that not the amp's fault though? I'd be interested in hearing from somebody who has the CD21 connected to a typical solid state amp. The A21 is gorgeous but not famed for its bass.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AndI also heard it with other amps too. Lavardin IT, Gryphon Callisto, LFD PA2, God knows what else I tried back then.

Compared to other CDPs I was trying with same amps - Marantz CD7, Sony SCD-1, Copland 289, the Sugden CD21 did not have the best bass. But it was their equal in many other ways, certainly way ahead of the SCD-1 for redbook.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
Fair enough mate, I guess my search continues.
wub.png

Any other recommendations for an analogue-sounding TT which digs deep into the bass frequencies and comes home new at less than £1k?

saab

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
, ,
I would go along with Music box here.I have the CD21/A21 and his description is spot on.But as I said in my PM,I am not a bass freak hence I probably like it but I haven't heard enough CDPs to really offer a comparison as he has in regards to bass.I listen mainly to female vocals and all I can say is that Eva Cassidy is just sublime on this combo.

But I really do think that deep bass comes primarliy from the speakers and the amp.Ok if the CDps doesn't pukll it out first all they can do is colour it,but big bass will come form selecting an amp/speaker combo you like.My gear is not about bass,its about clarity yet mixed with a sublime natural warm presentation which I love (the speakers are Von Schweikert standmounts).

What about the Moon I3 amp intregated or Lavardin? as alternatives to the A21.I agrer the A21 and CD21 with transparent speakers like mine is not a bass freaky set-up

musicbox wrote:

I used to have the CD21, along with the A21 amp. Deepest tautest bass... NO. Warmth, natural flowing organic presentation YES. Its a very good machine.

However... allegedly the CD Master is slightly better, though slightly more expensive, and very rare second-hand.

rsc

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
S E England
Injector wrote:

Fair enough mate, I guess my search continues.
wub.png
Any other recommendations for an analogue-sounding TT which digs deep into the bass frequencies and comes home new at less than £1k?
Just a little over the grand, but try a Roksan Caspian: Touraj and Tufanknow a bit about vinyl replay, as well as making this CD player...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0