Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If anyone is looking for a new Sugden A21 Signature give Definitive Audio a call. They had 2 brand new ones in stock when I went a couple of weeks ago.

CrillboBaggins

Wammer
Sep 5, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening.

My money would go on the A21 Signature any day of the week. I have owned two ANV-50‘s purely for it‘s speaker driving ability but found it fantastic if a little too much at times.

The A21 has more soul to my ears with organic sound that’s easy to live with and can be listened to for hours on end. The phonostage is pretty good too - I think you would be surprised at how proficient it is.
Brill, thanks for the reply

Reactions: HouseElf

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If anyone is looking for a new Sugden A21 Signature give Definitive Audio a call. They had 2 brand new ones in stock when I went a couple of weeks ago.
Shameless plug:

Or check out the classifieds for mine, which is in excellent condition and also fresh back from Sugden having had a service, and therefore is perfect internally.

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shameless plug:

Or check out the classifieds for mine, which is in excellent condition and also fresh back from Sugden having had a service, and therefore is perfect internally.
I made the point of saying "new" as I know some people like to buy new.

If I've broken any forum rules I apologise and moderators please remove my post but it was in no way meant to compromise sales on here.

My friend ordered a brand new one at the time because he wanted a different colour. I actually told him about the ones for sale on here as he's not a forum member but he wanted a new one.
Some people do.

Reactions: Amormusic

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I made the point of saying "new" as I know some people like to buy new.

If I've broken any forum rules I apologise and moderators please remove my post but it was in no way meant to compromise sales on here.

My friend ordered a brand new one at the time because he wanted a different colour. I actually told him about the ones for sale on here as he's not a forum member but he wanted a new one.
Some people do.
Fair enough.

They are truly awesome amps and some people prefer new and that's fine. I assume he's loving his?!

I was just giving a plug to mine 😉, for anyone that might be interested.

Reactions: nak

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair enough.

They are truly awesome amps and some people prefer new and that's fine. I assume he's loving his?!

I was just giving a plug to mine 😉, for anyone that might be interested.
They are superb. If I ever went back to solid state I'd have one in a heart beat.

He's not got his yet but I'm sure he will love it.

Reactions: Amormusic

CrillboBaggins

Wammer
Sep 5, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening.

My money would go on the A21 Signature any day of the week. I have owned two ANV-50‘s purely for it‘s speaker driving ability but found it fantastic if a little too much at times.

The A21 has more soul to my ears with organic sound that’s easy to live with and can be listened to for hours on end. The phonostage is pretty good too - I think you would be surprised at how proficient it is.
Bought an A21 a L Signature, second hand and should be with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the info, looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

So have you gone from an ANV? (According to your profile)
The a21a is really hard to beat at any price with Proac for a full engaging presentation. I really struggled to find fault with the combination other than outright power and bass slam but I’m being picky. The biggest plus is how the combination is able to play at lower volumes but still retaining everything.

CrillboBaggins

Wammer
Sep 5, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The a21a is really hard to beat at any price with Proac for a full engaging presentation. I really struggled to find fault with the combination other than outright power and bass slam but I’m being picky. The biggest plus is how the combination is able to play at lower volumes but still retaining everything.
I had to move the ANV-50 a while back due to financial restraints at the time and managed to pick up a Linn Majik DSM/3 as an interim all in one amp at a later date (which I need to sell now).

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

That‘s great to hear. As @Rockchild has said the A21 is wonderful with Proac speakers in particular. The musical presentation is one you can get lost in for hours on end.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Reactions: CrillboBaggins

Jockymac

New Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
South Yorkshire
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just posted this below about my experience with my new Sugden but I think it went in the wrong thread, I couldn’t be happier with my ‘new’ amp and several likeminded friends have been around and listened to it as well and were genuinely amazed at the sound, no doubt this is a real keeper.

Well it was with some trepidation that I unpacked and set up my ‘new’ Sugden, I was genuinely concerned that it might not drive the 805’s. First Cd on was John Martyn, and here I learnt my first lesson always double check the volume control before pressing play, there is only a tiny mark on the volume knob on the Sugden and I had not noticed it was set at about a third, or perhaps I saw it and thought a third would be about right, with only 25 watts to play with. How wrong I was, instantly blown away, not only by the volume, which I very quickly turned down but by the sheer richness of the sound, full bass, clear mids, high tops, I listened to a selection of vinyl and cds and nearly every thing I played was a revelation great soundstage, expansive, every track made me smile.
To conclude a Sugden A21al into B & W 805’s are a marriage made in heaven, what on earth was I worried about.
I’ve just had a similar experience with a secondhand A21a Signature that I bought at the weekend. Current amplifier is a Naim 52/Supercap/250 combination which I am happy with, although the 52 and 250 are due a service so may not be giving their absolute best. I had heard great things about Sugden amps and curiosity got the better of me. I thought I‘d give it a try knowing that I wouldn’t lose out by much, if at all, when I came to sell again.

I got around to setting it up last night after swapping my Naim banana plugs out for BFA/banana plugs from Chord. This morning I gave it a proper listen using Adele’s 19 album, Led Zeppelin II and Amelda May’s Love Tattoo. Having read comments on here I was expecting it to be good but perhaps a bit light in the bass and maybe not ideal for rock music.

Once I settled on a volume setting just past 9 o’clock I was absolutely blown away by how good it sounded. One thing is for sure, in my room and my system the A21a Signature is capable of playing rock music to a very high standard. I don’t think I’ve heard Zeppelin sound so good. There was plenty of bass for me and the clarity across the full sound spectrum was amazing. I shall definitely be giving it some serious listening with all types of music and then I shall make a decision on whether to keep it or not. My Naim kit has reason to be worried!

The rest of my vinyl only system consists of Linn Sondek LP12 with Karousel bearing, Radikal 1 power supply and Kore sub-chassis. The arm is a Linn Ekos 2 with a Dynavector DV20xL cartridge feeding into a Dynavector P75 phono stage. Speakers are Naim SBLs connected by Naim NAC A5 cable.

Apologies for the length of my reply. It is a measure of how impressed I am by the Sugden A21a Signature.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just had a similar experience with a secondhand A21a Signature that I bought at the weekend. Current amplifier is a Naim 52/Supercap/250 combination which I am happy with, although the 52 and 250 are due a service so may not be giving their absolute best. I had heard great things about Sugden amps and curiosity got the better of me. I thought I‘d give it a try knowing that I wouldn’t lose out by much, if at all, when I came to sell again.

I got around to setting it up last night after swapping my Naim banana plugs out for BFA/banana plugs from Chord. This morning I gave it a proper listen using Adele’s 19 album, Led Zeppelin II and Amelda May’s Love Tattoo. Having read comments on here I was expecting it to be good but perhaps a bit light in the bass and maybe not ideal for rock music.

Once I settled on a volume setting just past 9 o’clock I was absolutely blown away by how good it sounded. One thing is for sure, in my room and my system the A21a Signature is capable of playing rock music to a very high standard. I don’t think I’ve heard Zeppelin sound so good. There was plenty of bass for me and the clarity across the full sound spectrum was amazing. I shall definitely be giving it some serious listening with all types of music and then I shall make a decision on whether to keep it or not. My Naim kit has reason to be worried!

The rest of my vinyl only system consists of Linn Sondek LP12 with Karousel bearing, Radikal 1 power supply and Kore sub-chassis. The arm is a Linn Ekos 2 with a Dynavector DV20xL cartridge feeding into a Dynavector P75 phono stage. Speakers are Naim SBLs connected by Naim NAC A5 cable.

Apologies for the length of my reply. It is a measure of how impressed I am by the Sugden A21a Signature.
That’s a great statement and truly believable.
Less is often more and the Sugden statement, “perhaps the only amp you will ever need” rings true.

Ruairi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 6, 2014
Belfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening.

That's interesting to read. I have the A21 SE two stage phono. It's the only phono stage I have ever owned. Previously I had a Marantz PM6004 with onboard mm. For a number of years I've wanted to try something else just for the craic. I'm not much a box swapper but i'd always wondered just how good the Sugden phono equipment was compared to some of the other stuff.

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This and the other posts around it were fortuitous timing. Was keen on taking a punt on a refurbed Naim XS3 but these posts reminded me what I have and the grass may not always be greener. saved me a load of dosh

CrillboBaggins

Wammer
Sep 5, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So after a couple of sessions with the A21 putting it through it’s paces I’m really, really enjoying my records again.

I know what you mean by bass slam though, it’s noticeably less than I’ve been used to. A tad more would be preferred, just a tad. However, the horrible bass boom effect has gone from my room which is great so probably a minor positive also in many ways. I’m sure the kids upstairs and my Wife working in the office downstairs appreciate the results (I live in a new build twin house so although you can’t hear anything from next door, the same can’t be said from floor to floor in the house).

As previously mentioned by possibly yourself; the ProAcs seem to be a great match, more than a great match in all honesty. The highs and mids are superb. Voices are clear as day and imaging frighteningly good. At one point when I put on one of go to records on it was like the band were in my front room. Cheesey I know but it was quiet an experience that I’ve never had before in my own room with my own kit. Hopefully I’m getting the best out of them now.

The main advantage for me though is listening at lower volumes. It’s all still there and I can listen for hours getting lost in the music as everything just seems to disappear. I didn’t have a similar experience with the ANV-50, I couldn’t play music through it for any sustained period of time and enjoy it. Others may disagree but these are my thoughts only based on listening in my room so appreciate its all subjective and room dependant.

Anyway I put on a few different records, Dope Lemon, RATM, Fleetwood Mac , Earth Wind and Fire, Leftfield, A Tribe Called Quest …. just to mix things up a bit, see what all the fuss was about and it’s safe to say it’s a keeper. Early days I know and I was going to wait a couple of weeks but couldn’t resist.

Appreciate everyone’s input I’m off to play some Black Keys ! ✌🏼

…. And maybe look at upgrading my phono stage, possibly ….
A4E58182-3A65-4154-B24F-BD744A7D611B.jpeg

Last edited:

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So after a couple of sessions with the A21 putting it through it’s paces I’m really, really enjoying my records again.

I know what you mean by bass slam though, it’s noticeably less than I’ve been used to. A tad more would be preferred, just a tad. However, the horrible bass boom effect has gone from my room which is great so probably a minor positive also in many ways. I’m sure the kids upstairs and my Wife working in the office downstairs appreciate the results (I live in a new build twin house so although you can’t hear anything from next door, the same can’t be said from floor to floor in the house).

As previously mentioned by possibly yourself; the ProAcs seem to be a great match, more than a great match in all honesty. The highs and mids are superb. Voices are clear as day and imaging frighteningly good. At one point when I put on one of go to records on it was like the band were in my front room. Cheesey I know but it was quiet an experience that I’ve never had before in my own room with my own kit. Hopefully I’m getting the best out of them now.

The main advantage for me though is listening at lower volumes. It’s all still there and I can listen for hours getting lost in the music as everything just seems to disappear. I didn’t have a similar experience with the ANV-50, I couldn’t play music through it for any sustained period of time and enjoy it. Others may disagree but these are my thoughts only based on listening in my room so appreciate its all subjective and room dependant.

Anyway I put on a few different records, Dope Lemon, RATM, Fleetwood Mac , Earth Wind and Fire, Leftfield, A Tribe Called Quest …. just to mix things up a bit, see what all the fuss was about and it’s safe to say it’s a keeper. Early days I know and I was going to wait a couple of weeks but couldn’t resist.

Great to hear you are enjoying the A21 - I agree totally with your sentiments relating to the ANV-50. Just not an amp that‘s easy to enjoy over longer periods. Immediately impressive with it‘s fast open sound - it really needs the right speakers. The only ones I found that paired well were some little Boenicke W5’s.

The other great thing about the little Sugden is it can reveal the differences with some pretty exotic equipment upstream if you ever get the itch to upgrade one of your sources.

Reactions: CrillboBaggins

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Enjoy, Sir! You have landed upon a treasure of an amp, a rarity, they are truly excellent!

I am very glad you wanted graphite and not mine 😎. Mine is a half hearted sale in reality and one I will almost certainly regret.

They are very-very-good amps. With the right speakers in an appropriate room there is little to touch these ime.

Enjoy fella!

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At one point when I put on one of go to records on it was like the band were in my front room. Cheesey I know but it was quiet an experience that I’ve never had before
I've had this with mine too. Not cheesy, utterly superb.

...I’m really, really enjoying my records again.
The main advantage for me though is listening at lower volumes. It’s all still there and I can listen for hours getting lost in the music as everything just seems to disappear.
This. And this (quoted two parts of your post).

This amp stopped me spinning boxes relentlessly. Just excellent.

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just been trying my little Sugden A21a Sig with a pair of Focal Aria 906's today. Wow ! Effortless. Great scale presence dynamics and detail. Tonality is full and spot on, with no muddying or harsh treble. A great match.

Spec is bang on for this mighty little 23w amp - 8 ohms and sensitive speakers.

The other speakers I'd recommend are my Stirling LS3/5a V3's - very emotional musical etc with superb midrange.

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having a bit of a moment with my a21a which may or not be wine induced. Had my new (S/H) Naim Naim 5Si plugged in the last couple of weeks. enjoying it but having swapped the a21a back in, I am amazed with how chuffing good it is. 19 years old and TBH wipes the floor, to my ears anyway, with the Naim. It just sings. Maybe it is wine but I can honestly say that, unless circumstances dictate, I will have a Sugden amp for the rest of my days. Time to forget about other brands and just start the long save for that a21 SE I have always wanted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles