Sugden

Tomo

Wammer
Sep 16, 2016
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Loving my a21se but one thing ive noticed is a very faint mechanical type click sound coming from it in the first 45min of listenening to music. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times and at normal listening levels you don't really notice it but you can hear it low listening levels. After about an hour of music it stops happening.
Should i be concencerned ?
Cheers

Reactions: HouseElf

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Loving my a21se but one thing ive noticed is a very faint mechanical type click sound coming from it in the first 45min of listenening to music. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times and at normal listening levels you don't really notice it but you can hear it low listening levels. After about an hour of music it stops happening.
Cheers

Probably worth asking Sugden - if you email they usually respond in a couple of days.

It could be just the amp warming up - as you know it will get pretty hot and so the metal components will be expanding. Does the amp make similar noises when you switch it off?

Reactions: Tomo

Tomo

Wammer
Sep 16, 2016
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably worth asking Sugden - if you email they usually respond in a couple of days.

It could be just the amp warming up - as you know it will get pretty hot and so the metal components will be expanding. Does the amp make similar noises when you switch it off?
Thats what i thought but yeh I'll email them. Yep it happens once i switch it off as well.

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers
I get similar with my a21a. Had it since 2004 and probably only really noticed in last couple years. Doesn’t happen every time but relatively often. Will be interesting to see what Sugden come back to you with.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Tomo When I had the Class A MF AMS 35i, there were metallic clicks on heat up and cool down (a bit like central heating in an old house).

When I enquired, was told it was the casework metal expanding and contracting and was quite normal. The advice was to loosen the casework screws slightly to help with the expansion/contraction. After that, the problem wasn't quite eliminated, but greatly reduced.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh dear. I have a real first world problem! I've stupidly plugged my freshly serviced Sugden in when it was up for sale (now not for sale). Holy crap! This is a stupidly good amp! I remember why this stopped me box swapping.

I now need to re-decide, which amp I should keep for my main rig. The A21a Sig, or fully rebuilt valve Leak Stereo 20.

I need to win the lottery so I can buy a different house and stick one in each room.

Both I could very easily live with until my last breath. Into my ART's, they are astounding.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
@Tomo When I had the Class A MF AMS 35i, there were metallic clicks on heat up and cool down (a bit like central heating in an old house).

When I enquired, was told it was the casework metal expanding and contracting and was quite normal. The advice was to loosen the casework screws slightly to help with the expansion/contraction. After that, the problem wasn't quite eliminated, but greatly reduced.
My Vincent Class A does this noise and can confirm it is the casework expanding or contracting. :geek:

Reactions: deggie

Tomo

Wammer
Sep 16, 2016
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah thanks for the responses. I thought as much, it doesnt bother me I just wanted to be sure theres nothing wrong. Ive emailed sugden and suspect their responses will be the same.

Moving on, listening to muddy waters folk singer right now and it sounds so bloody good :)

Reactions: JAD and HouseElf

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh dear. I have a real first world problem! I've stupidly plugged my freshly serviced Sugden in when it was up for sale (now not for sale). Holy crap! This is a stupidly good amp! I remember why this stopped me box swapping.

I now need to re-decide, which amp I should keep for my main rig. The A21a Sig, or fully rebuilt valve Leak Stereo 20.

I need to win the lottery so I can buy a different house and stick one in each room.

Both I could very easily live with until my last breath. Into my ART's, they are astounding.

The Sugden is really, really difficult to beat. My new amp cost well over double and there are things the Sugden A21 did that I miss.

It’s a remarkable amplifier. Would be lovely to keep two - I’d do the same if funds allowed.

Reactions: JAD

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

yes i was just about to say that . sometimes you do get these clicks

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Keep both and rotate them.

I have never heard a Sugden but am curious but put off by the heat (I am in even today it’s too hot to sit in the sun so we have the sun shade up). One of the things that I loved about my Marantz PM11S2 was that despite being class A/B it didn’t really even get warm in use unlike my ARC class D.

Reactions: hifinutt

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have never heard a Sugden but am curious but put off by the heat (I am in even today it’s too hot to sit in the sun so we have the sun shade up). One of the things that I loved about my Marantz PM11S2 was that despite being class A/B it didn’t really even get warm in use unlike my ARC class D.
A Sugden will warm your heart massively but your house, by a negligible amount only 😀

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

You surprise me Dom. A man who is familiar with Harbeth and Studio has never heard a sugden 😊
On the subject of heat. Yes they get warm but not excessively in the scheme of things.
Class A/B obviously have transistors but mostly built with the heat sinks inside the amp but are still hot to touch. The a21a has them exposed and bigger and designed to dissipate the class A heat to the sides and yes, the fins are hot to touch but it is designed to work in extreme temperatures. It’s not over power hungry either. The Copland A/B power amp I had was, 1000w !
Don’t dismiss this amp purely on heat, you are missing out on glorious sound and as I’ve said before, it’s imo, better than many amps costing 2-3 times more.
It’s no looker but what’s more important?

CrillboBaggins

Wammer
Sep 5, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all,

Thinking of getting a Sugden amp …. again.

Either an A21a Signature or ANV-50.

I did have an ANV-50 but ended up selling it when thinking of going down a different audio route which didn’t work out.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has had an A21a L Signature and swapped to the ANV-50 or directly compared the two.

Appreciate that it’s down to personal taste but price would suggest the ANV-50 is “better” but I know this just isn’t always the case, system synergy and personal taste being a couple of factors.

Speakers are Pro-Ac Response D20r’s. I mainly listen to vinyl, MC cart through a Trichord Dino so phono stage isn’t a priority in terms of requirements of the amp.

TIA

Reactions: HouseElf and myles

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all,

I did have an ANV-50 but ended up selling it when thinking of going down a different audio route which didn’t work out.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has had an A21a L Signature and swapped to the ANV-50 or directly compared the two.

Appreciate that it’s down to personal taste but price would suggest the ANV-50 is “better” but I know this just isn’t always the case, system synergy and personal taste being a couple of factors.

Speakers are Pro-Ac Response D20r’s. I mainly listen to vinyl, MC cart through a Trichord Dino so phono stage isn’t a priority in terms of requirements of the amp.

TIA
Look no further than @Amormusic for an example second to none - effectively brand new after being serviced. You'd love the control of the A21 Signature.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all,

TIA
You need to speak to @HouseElf, had both amps and Proac 👍🏻

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all,

TIA
Evening.

My money would go on the A21 Signature any day of the week. I have owned two ANV-50‘s purely for it‘s speaker driving ability but found it fantastic if a little too much at times.

The A21 has more soul to my ears with organic sound that’s easy to live with and can be listened to for hours on end. The phonostage is pretty good too - I think you would be surprised at how proficient it is.

Trevor Lloyd

Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just posted this below about my experience with my new Sugden but I think it went in the wrong thread, I couldn’t be happier with my ‘new’ amp and several likeminded friends have been around and listened to it as well and were genuinely amazed at the sound, no doubt this is a real keeper.

Well it was with some trepidation that I unpacked and set up my ‘new’ Sugden, I was genuinely concerned that it might not drive the 805’s. First Cd on was John Martyn, and here I learnt my first lesson always double check the volume control before pressing play, there is only a tiny mark on the volume knob on the Sugden and I had not noticed it was set at about a third, or perhaps I saw it and thought a third would be about right, with only 25 watts to play with. How wrong I was, instantly blown away, not only by the volume, which I very quickly turned down but by the sheer richness of the sound, full bass, clear mids, high tops, I listened to a selection of vinyl and cds and nearly every thing I played was a revelation great soundstage, expansive, every track made me smile.
To conclude a Sugden A21al into B & W 805’s are a marriage made in heaven, what on earth was I worried about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles