Ragnarock

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2010
North London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any advice / recommendations appreciated:-

I’m currently using a Goldring Eroica high output moving coil cartridge and have just bought an Ortofon Rondo Bronze from BobC. The cartridge was recommended by Jack (NonSmokingMan) at Scalford 2011 as a good match for my TT and arm.

My amplifier is a DK Designs VS.1 which has a built in MM phono stage. Would a better phono stage be required to get the best from the Rondo Bronze or would a decent SUT and the DK amp be fine?

Bob had a Martha’s MC SUT for sale but unfortunately it was on reserve and has been sold.

For a phono stage Bob recommended an EAR 834 which I’ll look out for.

Are there any others I can add to my list? Some alternatives would be useful as I’d like to find something suitable fairly quickly as I’m looking forward to trying out the new cartridge.

I don’t mind buying new or second hand and have a budget of up to £600.

Thanks for any help offered

Glyn

Jagged24

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2010
Cambs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've used an Icon Audio PS1.2 Signature version with MM/MC for a while, and like it a lot. This is a valve design, using small tubes (ECC83x2 and ECC81x1) that are easily available, fairly inexpensive and last for a very long time (ie., many years). The MC section has a built-in 10:1 SUT of pretty high quality (that I have used with carts outputting 0.2-0.4mV with good results). There are many positive reviews in this forum and on the web. My opinion is that the Icon would match the Ortofon quite well and is likely to be better than the built-in MM phono input on your integrated amp.

There's one for sale in the Classifieds within your budget: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?77438-FS-Icon-Audio-PS1-2-%28Signature-Version%29-MM-MC-Valve-Phono-Stage

Ragnarock

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2010
North London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for taking the time to respond Jagged24.

It's just been sold which is unfortunate as that would have been just the job. I'll add the Icon Audio PS1.2 Signature to my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.