Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2016
West Berkshire
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, so I took the plunge and bought a NAD M33 to try.

Having had a day yesterday of listening, I believe the NAD gives a 'better' sound; more clarity, detail, openness and a bit punchier in the bass, and I do really like the one-box convenience and functionality.

Compared to my existing set-up, it has those benefits, but, my existing set-up is easier on my ears, having a smoother (creamy?!) quality to the sound. Probably the hybrid (UR Unico Primo amp).

So, I'm a bit confused and really don't know what to do!

Could this 'smoothness' that I like be added to the NAD by changing my speakers?!

I plan to contact/go to a couple of dealers as well who stock the M33 to try other speakers.

As ever, thoughts/suggestions/advice greatly received.

Cheers o_O

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay just my pennies worth but here goes . Firstly be very careful before you consider changing your speakers if you like what the Quad ESL 57 does and your pair are fully serviced and working correctly then there is very little on the market that will offer anything like the quality of music you get from the Quads . Please note this comes from someone who owns and uses Quad ESL 57 so I am not saying anything I do not believe in myself .

So first are your Quads fully serviced and working correctly ? If so when were they last checked ? With Quads this is really vital and the issue over time the panels drop off in performance or in some cases and yes I have visted someone who was using a pair with the treble panel not working on one speaker . If you have any doubts then either get them checked over by Andrew Jones of AQuadthing or Quad themselves if you prefer https://aquadthingaudio.wixsite.com/5763.

If all things are right and you are still finding things a little bright then I have a pair of A Quad Thing Widgets that you can borrow and use . Quads are for solid state amplifiers quite a difficult load with massive dips in the treble . Using the Widget eases this and shows the solid state amplifier a kinder and easier to deal with load (this is not the same for Valve amplifiers which cope much easier with the Quads strange load) .
So if you would like to try the Widgets then PM me and I can make arrangements to get them to you . You are welcome to keep them for an extended loan as I do not use them for my Quads the NVA Power Amp I use is very stable having been designed using the Quads when it was first made .

I can not stress enough that a fully set up and correctly working Quad has qualities that no other speakers possess and is both difficult and expensive to replace . The only passive speaker I can bring to mind are the Posselt Albatross which have similar qualities but are quite hard to find . Active speakers get close but not really sensible in your case .

wadsy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2016
West Berkshire
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay just my pennies worth but here goes . Firstly be very careful before you consider changing your speakers if you like what the Quad ESL 57 does and your pair are fully serviced and working correctly then there is very little on the market that will offer anything like the quality of music you get from the Quads . Please note this comes from someone who owns and uses Quad ESL 57 so I am not saying anything I do not believe in myself .

So first are your Quads fully serviced and working correctly ? If so when were they last checked ? With Quads this is really vital and the issue over time the panels drop off in performance or in some cases and yes I have visted someone who was using a pair with the treble panel not working on one speaker . If you have any doubts then either get them checked over by Andrew Jones of AQuadthing or Quad themselves if you prefer https://aquadthingaudio.wixsite.com/5763.

If all things are right and you are still finding things a little bright then I have a pair of A Quad Thing Widgets that you can borrow and use . Quads are for solid state amplifiers quite a difficult load with massive dips in the treble . Using the Widget eases this and shows the solid state amplifier a kinder and easier to deal with load (this is not the same for Valve amplifiers which cope much easier with the Quads strange load) .
So if you would like to try the Widgets then PM me and I can make arrangements to get them to you . You are welcome to keep them for an extended loan as I do not use them for my Quads the NVA Power Amp I use is very stable having been designed using the Quads when it was first made .

I can not stress enough that a fully set up and correctly working Quad has qualities that no other speakers possess and is both difficult and expensive to replace . The only passive speaker I can bring to mind are the Posselt Albatross which have similar qualities but are quite hard to find . Active speakers get close but not really sensible in your case .

Thanks very much for your reply (y):)

I have Neat Iota Alphas, not Quads. I mentioned the Quad ESL 57 previously as I listened to a friends set-up and liked it.

I would be happy if I could get that sort of sound using the NAD M33 and others speakers, but don't know what?... the Quads won't really physically fit in my room.

Cheers

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
more clarity, detail, openness and a bit punchier in the bass
This amp you have gone for was almost certainly going to take you in the direction you have described.

I would recommend living with it for another 6 weeks before you make any further changes.

Your initial impressions, whilst valid, may change with a little time to become accustomed to the new sound.

I've looked at some reviews of the Neat and they aren't mentioned as being a particularly bright or analytical speaker so could be a good match for the amp.

Reactions: wadsy

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ahh , Doh ! should read more carefully . Well I am glad you liked the Quads but sadly there is little out there that does what they do . When you say you do not have the room do not get caught with the chestnut said by most that you need a huge room with loads of space behind the speakers to get them to work it is just not true . My room would deemed far too small and the speakers are only about 12 inches away from the back wall and sound wonderful . My music room is not huge but it does benefit from high ceilings and the quads are on stands that lift them off the floor and make them point forward not up as per the original legs .

Have a think and see if your room could be made to work if not then I would suggest a pair of Castle Pembroke (original version) could be bought for not much second hand and give them a try . No these are not the best speakers in the world but they are really musical and image wondefully and are just great to listen to . You can pick up a very decent pair for less than £200 and if they work as I think they will for you then you have a base sound on which to judge if you want to better speakers . Thye could then be sold on for very little loss having served their purpose of offering you a real insight in to musical sound without too much brightness .

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What you describe as your current sound is what UR products do ime. I've had a monoblock pair and an integrated.

I demmed the integrated as part of my system at Scalford one year with the Tannoys belonging to @robin. It was very well received!

The amps do have that characteristic sound. Beguiling, seductive and tbh a bit coloured in a rose tinted kind of way. It might be hard to move on to another brand if you have fallen in love with that sound.

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks very much for your reply (y):)

I have Neat Iota Alphas, not Quads. I mentioned the Quad ESL 57 previously as I listened to a friends set-up and liked it.

I would be happy if I could get that sort of sound using the NAD M33 and others speakers, but don't know what?... the Quads won't really physically fit in my room.

Cheers
I have had Neat Iota Alphas for about 18 months. The treble is very explicit. It will tell you of anything is ‘wrong’ in the signal chain. Not saying that the Nad is wrong but if not to your taste then the Alphas will tell you.

I have Alphas only because it’s a temporary situation in a smaller lounge. But there are many other speakers that will be gentler in the treble and would work well with the NAD and do everything that the Alphas do apart from being a tiny floorstander.

My advice is to go and listen to some speakers. Most likely to avoid Proac as they have a very extended treble. Try ATC or Harbeth that have a rolled off treble.

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And also to say that I did demo your amp with my Harbeths years ago and thought it really great but wanted an amp with more facilities and so bought a Marantz.

I say choose the speakers that you love them for the amp with the speakers.

Reactions: dhansak and wadsy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online