wolfram

New Wammer
Nov 19, 2022
AKA
clockwork orange TT
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
System topology - pro's and cons?

I have the following physical sources: Phono (mm)and CD (optical out) I also listen to streaming services.

Seems that I have some options. I'm going to ignore the separate DACs or power supplies that could be purchased. I'm also ignoring the subwoofer option as this is 2 channel. I'm also ignoring headphone amps.

1) phono amp, streamer, preamp, 2 x monoblock power amp, 2 x passive speakers

2) phono amp, streamer, preamp, stereo power amp, 2 x passive speakers

3) phono amp, streamer, integrated stereo power amp, 2 x passive speakers

4) phono amp, streaming integrated stereo amp with phono stage, 2 x passive speakers

5) phono amp, streamer, preamp, 2 x active speakers

6) streamer, preamp with phono stage, 2 x active speakers

7) streaming preamp with phono stage, 2 x active speakers

8) streaming integrated stereo amp with phono stage, 2 x passive speakers

Any thoughts on these? which functions can be best combines and which should remain sepaerate? The more integrated, the more chance for obsolescence perhaps as standards move forward?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a personal choice and ignoring Phono as I do not use it, if I could just do what I want then the set up would be

Server with full Music Library and control of steaming services and internet radio , Active Speakers with digital input and fully optimised digital volume control .

Not only could this be a really simple box count it can also sound very good indeed . In fact in isolation it could well be all I ever need .

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aside from the normal questions re room size and music choices, what is your budget? As that can very much influence where you end up.
All your options are perfectly viable and depend on what your personal nal preferences are, are you okay with multiple boxes and do you have the realest ate to accommodate them or are you happier with a compact minimal setup.
Assuming a budget of upto £2.5k then for a passive speaker setup.
Minimal boxes:
Bluesound PowerNode, has digital & analogue inputs available (so CD and phono accommodated) used on eBay £600 - £700 (New £1100ish) add to this the Q Acoustics 3050s in the classifieds for £150
Standard box count:
Again using the classifieds, NVA P50SA (passive Pre), £460, QA 3050s £150, I have an Arcam 8P power amp I've yet to advertise £150, Bluesound Node, eBay £275ish New £549.
There are also a couple of Sugden integrated amps in the classifieds if you prefer them they're a bit more spendy but ultimately worth it.

wolfram

New Wammer
Nov 19, 2022
AKA
clockwork orange TT
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something like the Kef LS60 and a mobile phone?

but is this HiFi?

i mean it is a music centre - fully integrated system - they have just put it into the speakers

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

but is this HiFi?

i mean it is a music centre - fully integrated system - they have just put it into the speakers
My view only is that is the wrong question , it should be does this play music ? If the answer is yes and it is good to listen to then the rest does not matter.

I have four very complicated and box heavy systems and they are all enjoyable and give me great pleasure . However I know because i heard it that an Aurilac driving a pair of ATC 40 actives also delivers excellent music and I am very sure that if that was what I had I would still be listening to music and enjoying it and would be very happy at the minimalist impact it makes on a room .

Reactions: wolfram

wolfram

New Wammer
Nov 19, 2022
AKA
clockwork orange TT
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My view only is that is the wrong question , it should be does this play music ? If the answer is yes and it is good to listen to then the rest does not matter.

I have four very complicated and box heavy systems and they are all enjoyable and give me great pleasure . However I know because i heard it that an Aurilac driving a pair of ATC 40 actives also delivers excellent music and I am very sure that if that was what I had I would still be listening to music and enjoying it and would be very happy at the minimalist impact it makes on a room .
I appreciate that many people in the hifi hobby are not that interested in the engineering and design, and perhaps see the technology as a necessary evil that allows them to listen to the music. i'm not one of them. in fact i do most of my listening in the kitchen using a sonos move. I turn the hifi on to use the technology and marvel at the design of the titanium tonearm and see the glow of the valves. Obviously, the deep rich bass and the clear notes of the tenor are hopefully also present.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your Phono srage should deliver ~2V, likewise your other (digital) sources, so you can switch at line level and control volume using a passive pre. Then all you need is either a stereo power stage or a pair of monoblocks.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Obvious answer from me: the more boxes (and valves) the better. I would therefore pick option 1 or 2, but with added external power supplies.

The sensible answer, however, is that there is no 'best solution'. In terms of sound quality, until you build your own or get into megabucks territory, any of the options are perfectly viable and capable of delivery superb quality. To me, the advantage of having everything separate is that it allows future upgrades without needing to change everything. A one-box solution gives ease of use, but when you catch a dose of upgradeitis, it hurts a lot more financially.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Aside from the normal questions re room size and music choices, what is your budget? As that can very much influence where you end up.
All your options are perfectly viable and depend on what your personal nal preferences are, are you okay with multiple boxes and do you have the realest ate to accommodate them or are you happier with a compact minimal setup.
Assuming a budget of upto £2.5k then for a passive speaker setup.
Minimal boxes:
Bluesound PowerNode, has digital & analogue inputs available (so CD and phono accommodated) used on eBay £600 - £700 (New £1100ish) add to this the Q Acoustics 3050s in the classifieds for £150
Standard box count:
Again using the classifieds, NVA P50SA (passive Pre), £460, QA 3050s £150, I have an Arcam 8P power amp I've yet to advertise £150, Bluesound Node, eBay £275ish New £549.
There are also a couple of Sugden integrated amps in the classifieds if you prefer them they're a bit more spendy but ultimately worth it.

I've been looking at the powernode myself for a family member. They regularly come up on both Peter Tyson and Sevenoaks Sound & Vision as open box in their clearance section on the websites between £650 & £750.

Fwiw I've purchased a few items open box from both companies last was over £6k all have been brand new on arrival and of course came with full warranty.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried a few times to consolidate the number of boxes that I use. I always found that there was a compromise. Given that you have a turntable, as I do, and you also mentioned valves then I would suggest 1) or 2).

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think of a hifi as two clusters - speakers and power amps, then everything else upstream.

Power amp choice is dependent on speakers, if you go active then no need for power amp. Hard to drive speakers need beefier amps, perhaps pointing to a separate pre- and power-amp.
Upstream you can get boxes that do DAC, digital input selection, volume control etc.

Alot depends on budget and the sources you have - if no analogue sources, it gets a bit simpler. Also how you've built up your hifi over the years and attachment to certain components

wolfram

New Wammer
Nov 19, 2022
AKA
clockwork orange TT
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at the powernode myself for a family member. They regularly come up on both Peter Tyson and Sevenoaks Sound & Vision as open box in their clearance section on the websites between £650 & £750.

Fwiw I've purchased a few items open box from both companies last was over £6k all have been brand new on arrival and of course came with full warranty.
i absolutely hate the styling of the powernode

wolfram

New Wammer
Nov 19, 2022
AKA
clockwork orange TT
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Obvious answer from me: the more boxes (and valves) the better. I would therefore pick option 1 or 2, but with added external power supplies.

The sensible answer, however, is that there is no 'best solution'. In terms of sound quality, until you build your own or get into megabucks territory, any of the options are perfectly viable and capable of delivery superb quality. To me, the advantage of having everything separate is that it allows future upgrades without needing to change everything. A one-box solution gives ease of use, but when you catch a dose of upgradeitis, it hurts a lot more financially.
i get that there in no 'best' answer. But there are some more compromised than others i suspect. its a difficult course to navigate.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i get that there in no 'best' answer. But there are some more compromised than others i suspect. its a difficult course to navigate.
Everything is compromised. It's more a matter of costs and personal suitability in terms of what compromises make more sense.

Separate everything allows more flexibility. It also requires a lot more thought and care with matching things and needs a lot more cables and rack space.

Everything in one box means upgrading is an all or nothing affair, but it saves on complexity and connections and saves on costly mistakes if things don't work nicely together.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

but is this HiFi?

Aren't all our hi-fis music centres split into separate boxes? Ok a fancy music centre with seperate power supplies and physical isolation. But is that all the difference is?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not really pick some nice speakers you like that suit your room, music and volume level and work your way back up the chain.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aren't all our hi-fis music centres split into separate boxes?
Only if the sum of the contents can be packaged up in one box and sold for less than half the price of a separate box. I've not seen a "music centre" that didn't look and sound like cheap rubbish. Having said that, I get that quality is not always proportional to price and that at some stage the law of diminishing marginal returns applies ... I also get that (for some) there may be a snobbishness about price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles