System Upgrade Advice Please

NoRoots

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hertfordshre, , Unit
think its time to upgrade something, want to improve my system in someway.

heres my system

Amp - Marantz PM7200

Speakers - Acoustic Energy Aesprit 309

CD Player - Marantz CD63 KI MK2 with clock upgrades etc

which part should I upgrade first?

Your advice and knowledge would be great guys

A

A.N.

in what way do you want to "improve" the sound fella?

room dimensions?

got a decent front end there, will match many an upgrade, so, no need to change that for now.

as for the amp/speakers, not heard 'em,
wink.png

NoRoots

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hertfordshre, , Unit
What I want to improve is to get a better system for my type of music that I like which is dance/electronica music.

would it cost me loads to upgrade the speakers although after you have just said that they are good I may not bother.

I think the weakest part in the system is the CDP or the amp.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seriously, I would leave alone and spend your £500 on new music,

Regards

PB

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
I've never heard your speakers, so dunno what they're oftenused with ......

Still a s//h Rega prepower or an Exposure 2010 should put a kick up them.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the 309's are the one's I think they are then have a look at the emporium, I think he has a rega curas/maia paring for about £500 that will really drive them well.

I think you can load the 309's with shot or dry sand to tune the bass a bit as well

NoRoots

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hertfordshre, , Unit
dudywoxer wrote:

If the 309's are the one's I think they are then have a look at the emporium, I think he has a rega curas/maia paring for about £500 that will really drive them well.I think you can load the 309's with shot or dry sand to tune the bass a bit as well
Forgive my ingorance but how does the preamp with power amp work? same as an integrated?

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
Fortunately yourchoice of musicis about the least demanding of all when it comes to hifi.

Looks like the best thing to do is sell your existing amp/CDPfirst which will give you a total budget of at least £800. The speakers should be ok for now. (Obviously this will mean going without a system for a few weeks till you've got everything sorted).

For a genuine improvement in sound you'd still be looking at secondhand gear but £800 shouldjust be enough to do the job. As already suggested, look out for Naim, Exposure, Creek, Rega, Densen etc. Another possibility is Cyrus - their kit tends to have the lively tonal balance and sharp timingthat would suitdance/electronica.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
What clock upgrades have you got as the KI is a good player with mods should be fine if it has a clock 4 and the better never conected psu keep it as is.

Id try maybe some better cables mains or ic's in pure silver http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/voodoo_e.html

see the main site via tnt page too Iv been using this wire and it's superb kristal kablessells it as sterling or buy direct off reel or ready made from bob@skydivers.co.ukuse only the best connectors though Iv herd distinct differences I use WBT next gen have little contact same as the bullet plugs this would be a significant upgrade for £500 you may have enough to do speakers and ic's DIY best long as your ok soldering satisfaction you made your system better too.

Failing that put a wanted ad on this and hififorsale try for betterkit just secured a deal on a £1500 amp for a mate for £475inc post too:shock:

other upgrades are isolation for the cd floaty stuff brings more detail or cones/rubber sorbothane things have differing effects then speakers get them solidly mounted granite slabs blue taked on top and bellow the spiked stands you'll be amazed how much more details flow when done right and need'nt cost £££s to do.
biggrin.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan