T- Amps , as good as Naim ?

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
It's certainly not a passing fad and it probably is the future. You ask if it's better than Naim; well Naim have already adopted class D amplification in one of their latest products the n-Vi so that should answer your question!
biggrin.png

However, it is still a new technology and as such, it still has to mature. Howevr, products such as those currently being produced by TacT (Lyngdorf) are testimony that even at this relatively early stage, the technology is still capable of taking on its more conventional competitors. I for one am very happy about the advent of this technology, but will wait for it to truly establish itself before taking the plunge.

Lefty

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a T-amp and I thought it was amazing at first but after a day or two it began to irritate me and I switched back to my normal amp. Havent had the urge to use it since.

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
I must admit that I fell for the T-amp as well . The attraction was more of what such a cheap bit of kit can achieve rather than a sound on par with high end gear.

I continue to use it but increasingly more as a novelty and use the other kit for serious listening.

Having said that the T- amp is more than just a novelty , with sensitive speakers and low volume listening it is certainly not tiring and quite delicate in presentation.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
I think it's important to maintain a sense of perspective when considering a "giant killing" device such as the T-amp. Whilst it performs well above its price bracket, there will inevitably come a price at which it is beaten and comprehensively so. I have read that for the T-amp, this point comes in at somewhere like £500 plus or minus a few hundred £'s.

When taken in this context, one can enjoy the T-amp for what it is, a real bargain. Just don't expect it to take on multi-thousand pound amps, no matter what the reviews say. If you want class D amps that do that, you would probably be better off looking at TacT and Bel Canto.

Lefty

E

earl of sodbury

Certainly wouldn't dismiss digital amplification - one of the very best-sounding setups I've heard used this.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since having my Sonic T "interfered with" by the Wadia Meister I have to say it runs very close to my Rega, you can hear the low power output as a lack of warmth. But boy does it sound good for very little money.

I don't know about giant killer but this little beauty would give a Cambridge Azur, basic Rotel or Rega Brio a spanking they wouldn't forget.

Tamptune_up2009.jpg

M

Mr Coherent

If you guys spend a little money on biulding a quality PSU the difference it makes is quite something.

We've got a well up to spec unit we use to demostrate how it really does kick the ass out most amps upto £1k and sometimes beyond.

though you would need to spend £200 of your own money to do it, so for £225 its still amazing value for money.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There will come a time when digital amps, T-amps whatever you want to call them will outperform Naim amps. Its natural progression. The market is moving more and more into digital.

Good advice from Tone, often the power supply lets an amp down.

Regards

PB

artsenna

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2005
Hanwell, London,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have been reading a bit about the t-amp. very curious tolisten to one.keen on the module mentioned in the tnt-audio review by diyparadise from malaysia (www.diyparadise.com). no way i can put those smd parts of the other kitstogether.

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
artsenna wrote:

Have been reading a bit about the t-amp. very curious tolisten to one.keen on the module mentioned in the tnt-audio review by diyparadise from malaysia (http://www.diyparadise.com). no way i can put those smd parts of the other kitstogether.
if you want to have a listen to the one with the 2024 chip don't try the stock unmodded one.

The change following the mods is huge - I guess this is what most of the audiophle community is on about.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Having messed with class T chips I can honestly say they sound pretty good. However, you've got to couple them with the right parts and thats still going to cost big money. The high powered setup was the worst of the bunch.

I'll be spending a bit more time with them over the winter nights, my aim is to create a 200wpc amp that suits my system and ears perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles