Tacima mains block, how are people getting on with them long term ?

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all,

I have been using the Tacima blocks in a couple of my systems and various set ups, I was wondering how people have been getting on with them long term.

A couple of performance issues were raised when I re-introduced my Teac kit into the bedroom for a short while, and fitted a new power amp.

To cut it short the Tacima seems to have a compatability problem, as the Teac DAC gave considerable hum, which was reduced with the Tacima out of circuit, but along with this I started questioning the dynamics of the system ? The system comprised of Teac VRDS T1 and D-T1 combo with Toshiba 220e dvd player, Pioneer 2930 LD player, Teac 6030 cassette deck, video, Xbox and Gamecube. All into a Yamaha E800 which acted as a pre amp and video switching unit connected to a Classe CA-100 (then CA-101) power amp into Rogers Studio 1 speakers. Basic racks, with Chord Chameleon silver + interconnects throughout (Van Den Hul D-352 spkr cable). The only fancy mains cable was a RA reference for the power amp, and two Tacima mains blocks one pluged into the other.

This system sounds more preferable via the RA block than the two Tacima's.

Also in the sitting room, I have been using a simpler system, but re-introduced my large Kef. Now the Kube I think seems to have a lower noise floor with the Tacima in circuit, but dynamics seem to be lacking slightly ? even though the amp has its own mains socket next to the socket the extension is in ? This system is now comprised of a Pioneer DV-737 dvd player used as a transport, via Chord Pro Digital into a Technics SU-MA10 amp, with the Kube wired into a tape loop with Chord Chameleon silver +, and the Kef R107 wired to the amp via Naim Nac 4 (or 5 ?). amp is connected to the wall socket via a figure 8 RA reference cable, rest of the kit via a single Tacima. A basic Apollo rack offers support.

The Tacima do seem to make items like my Dual 5150 cd player and Dual 5600 amp combo a little smoother though. I now have these items in the bedroom, connected into the Tacima blocks, and using Precious Metals Alpha interconnect and Atlas Hyper 2.0 speaker cable, with Mordaunt Short MS20i pearl speakers on sand filled Atacame SE24 stands. Support offered by a basic Target rack.

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I lost bass power and contrast between loud and quiet when i used one. Never tried with just the CDP so can't cooment on its performance there. It killed the music for me

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've lent my Isotek minisub to a mate and have his tacima (which he said was no different to RA extension block), the tacima is ok, can't compare it to the Isotek back to backbut the tacima will be going on tv and console duties and the Isotek back for my hifi.

haven't noticed any difference with my LCD or dvd player.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sold mine within 24 hours of buying it.

'It was like a veil had been added to my system'

But it was worth a try and a cheap experiment

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Use one on my budget system, after a week I swapped my amp and put it on a normal extension and it sounded better.

Currently not using it as I'm trying out the much better built and much better surge protection of the Belkin Pure AV Isolator which I'm currently preferring.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
nixon_fiend wrote:

ob1971 wrote:
No Problem at all, can't tell much different to be frank with you.
ditto :note:
It did made the different with my MF set up though...slightly better top end but with Krell it doesn't seem to make sound better (or worst). I have a BCD engineering power cables and couldn't tell any different from the freebies when use with Krell either....may

be I need my ears cleaning.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ob1971 wrote:

nixon_fiend wrote:
ob1971 wrote:
It did made the different with my MF set up though...slightly better top end but with Krell it doesn't seem to make sound better (or worst). I have a BCD engineering power cables and couldn't tell any different from the freebies when use with Krell either....may

be I need my ears cleaning.
Nah I had the same experience with your Krell ;)too, it doesn't care...

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ob1971 wrote:

No new amp yet then Harv?
No not yet... :(still working on it...I may have made my mind up though
lightbulb.gif.2153bcfc1c810616a661c1a03e7a67eb.gif
;)but in the usual wammer tradition I'm:zip:

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Eupan and lat best I think well built no fancy filters high quality bits without going over the top

no switches or neons nice high quality metal cases no plastic

make nice speaker cable too

lat

blok_small.gif

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nixon_fiend wrote:

ob1971 wrote:
Same here and it sorted out the buzzing I sometimes used to get on a Sunday afternoon out of the right channel (could never track what was causing it down). :dude:

downtheriver

Wammer
New Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
, ,
It sorted out a RF problem I had with a valve amp, highs are much, much smoother & midrange more transparent. Bass is slighly less though.

Reactions: uzzy

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't tell to be honest. The slight buzz from my speakers has been reduced though the sense of 'acoustic space' in recordings may have been lessened by the introduction of the Tacima.... (though that was cured when I sold the Densen and bought the Harman Kardon)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online