Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today I was getting a little system working which I could put in my suitcase and take with me as I'll be staying in a hotel in somewhere that sounds like the Milton Keynes of Korea for a couple of months. If there isn't much to do (quite likely) at least I thought I could have some music to listen to in the hotel room. So I got my Trends Micro TA 10.1 amp working with my HRT II+ Music Streamer and Tandy LX5s and it wasn't sounding too bad. I thought I'd give the Tandys a bit of a clean as they were fairly dusty. I got a paper towel with some water and a little detergent and started with the mid range/bass unit and then disaster struck. As soon as a touched the foam surround it just dissolved. So I'm now screwed. I doubt very much that I can get new drivers, or whether it will be worth it. I've certainly had my money's worth out of the Tandys and so I can't complain.

My current plan is to take the T-amp and HRT DAC with some cables and buy a little speaker while I'm away. The Pioneer SP-BS41-LR got good reviews and there is a cheaper BS21 version. Maybe they are a bit big to fit in a suitcase though. The Audioengine passive speakers are a bit smaller and they might do. I still feeling a bit 'bereaved' over the loss of my cheap friends and maybe it isn't worth bothering too much about making a decision yet. I thought it might be worth posting a warning to anyone else who has speaker with foam surrounds though to keep them away from water.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These guys may have the right size foams. I've done a couple of refoams myself and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it.http://www.speaker-repairs.co.uk/
Thanks for the link, I had just assumed that they were unrepairable. There is a Radio Shack section with foam surrounds for the Optimus T200, but nothing about LX5 size speakers. I'll contact them when I get back home perhaps.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Tandys do appear on eBay from time to time. Usually ~£50. Of course the foams on those may be just as fragile so re-foaming may be the most cost effective solution. Worth keeping going for the Linaem tweeter.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sell the extisting Tannoy tweeters for £30 and buy another pair for about £50 on eBay.
Yes, I could do that by my pair are modified and it might be sense to buy a pair on Amazon to use to get my current ones fixed. But maybe the foam surrounds is in poor shape on most Tandys by now. I did some more searching after Matt suggested re-foaming and I found this:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/optimus-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-5l.html

For 25 dollars, and so I think I'll do that. I'm really pleased now that the speakers might not be written off after all, as I'm quite fond of the sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles