Tannoy Autograph Build.

Janis J

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 5, 2014
Hi Si,

Congratulations on your commitment and hard work !

My partner and I are in the process of building a completely new rig. We wanted a system that would be musical and present an accurate picture of the original recorded material without colouration. Listened to various speakers including B&W 801 series 2 matrix. Harbeth M40.1, Klipschorn and many more. Much web searching of various combinations of amplification and turntables etc etc. Finally decided to go with the Tannoy Autograph. Possibly Thorens TD 124 or Garrards 301/401 with Garrot p77 or similar. EAR 834P phono stage, ARC LS3 pre amp, UREI 6150 power amp and a Ampex atr 102 mastering machine converted for tape project.

Have not been able to find. Clear and accurate original schematic plans, for the Autographs. Monitor Gold site and others have shown blurred examples, that would not be useful. Any help, with finding such plans, to support a successful build project. Would be much appreciated. Any advice regarding the above choices of equipment would be gratefully accepted. Thank you in advance,

Kind regards, Janis j....

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
Hi Janis,

You have pm.

Tannoy's are not known for their lack of coloration and you should hear the Autographs to establish if, for you, they present the characteristics that you describe you are looking for from a speaker. I live in Brighton if you wanted to visit as this would be a good place to start. Have you heard the Khorn or any of the others on your list? All, in my experience very different. It's easy to run into these projects but take the time to hear your candidates first and you will probably find other speakers that you had not considered may come out of the wood work so to speak. There are some interesting threads here in the DIY section such as Speedysteve and Non smoking man's horn systems another thread on bass bins which is considering the Vitavox style/approach. The Autographs are very complicated to get right and has meant fully drawing up in CAD and precision aluminum jigs and templates to be sure that areas such as the front horn, where there are 4 bolts that guide and finally connect to the central cabinet leaving a small gap for a gasket to seal this area up...there is no room for compromise. If the front horn is out depth wise even by 1mm it will not fit flush with the front of the cabinet. This is just one area with a high probability of causing you troubles and I have seen builds where these bolts have been omitted entirely. We found nothing short of a very big and accurate pillar drill would suffice.

I should up date this thread really with some pictures so will do later in the day as we are finished, after having the bass out of phase on the cross over, a de magnetized HF and also waiting a long time for the drivers to break in after being re coned we have finally got there and they sound great.

As for partnering equipment, again try it out or have a bake off.

Best Simon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles