Tannoy Monitor Gold Treble Diaphragm Health Checking

zoltm

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 9, 2010
Hi fellow Tannoy domain experts,

I have always been annoyed with some high frequency (might me mid frequency) scratching sound (not serious) coming out of ONE of the pair of Monitor Gold. I would heard the noise occasionally during dynamic piano passage at high level (spl). The noise is quite reproducible when I play some sort of pink noise.

I first wishfully hope that the issue is related to the crossover. Today I tried to interchange the crossover between the left and right speaker. The issue persists, so I assume it's NOT crossover related.

Now it points to the issues of the treble diaphragm. I look over google and youtube for some time, I dont think I find any video that is related to the opening of the Tannoy driver unit for the diaphragm replacement.

So before I move on doing some DIY operation that may be dangerous, I think it worth checking out the site here, as I understand there is quite a Tannoy following in this forum.

Here is some questions in mind,

1. Is there any sort of small-space alignment that one need to note during the change of diaphragm?

2. Would there be any kind of derbies building up during the aging and operation of the Tannoy driver? If any, how to properly clean them?

3. If all I would like to do now is to have a visual health inspection of the treble diaphragm, what I have to note while opening the four crews below?

Thanks and best.

20130624_215225.jpg

20130624_211941.jpg

zoltm

p.s. In fact, I have tried to rotate the driver by 90 degree couple months ago and hoping that the scratching (or might be screeching) noise would reduce a bit, it does not looks like it helps.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
From memory, the diaphragm is self-centering, though there might be a bit of play. Worth removing and checking the gap and cleaning it with tape just in case some swarf has got in.

Also worth (carefully) checking that the voice coil is perfectly circular.

While removing the screws, make sure not to get any of the varnish which seals them into the gap.

I had a similar problem when selling my Monitor Golds - there was a slight buzzing on certain notes. I took it apart, checked it, made sure the gap was clean, re-assembled and all seemed fine after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mazian

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles