Tapped or folded horn design

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
Does anyone know of a program to help with the design of a tapped horn and also a folded horn, for use on a Mac platform? I'm currently using iPhone and iPad but do have a desktop Mac, only it runs so slow now I can't be arsed but will do if there is a program I can use.

I'm building a 2-way speaker and was planning to cover approx 40 - 500 hz using a Jensen Ultraflex design, the horizontal chest version shown here:

http://www.dcaudiodiy.com/jensen_imperial/page_14.jpg

As I'm going to use a horn for the upper frequencies I thought it might be nice to have an all horn speaker and wanted to see if I could cover the same range with a horn design, using the same/similar footprint. I think the folded horn is more likely.

The driver I am using is 15" 4 Ohm:

FS is 26.3, Re is 3.36, VAS is 506.3 Liters, BL is 12.49, QM is 9.93, QE is 0.27, QT is 0.26. Sensitivity is 97 db. Coil is 1 mH. Pmax is 150 watts. Xmax is 7.15 mm. MMS is 75.5 grams.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Paul

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Hornresp works on Linux using Wine, so it should work on the Mac as well.

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
What is Wine? Is it something used to run Windows based program's on Linux? So I'll need something similar to run hornresp on a Mac?

DrBoar

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2012
There are several ways to run windows programs on a mac. I used bootcamp to install WinXP and then I run Woofer Tester 3 and Omnimic.

A second way is wine that is a kind of wrap around the application so that it runs in OS X. My impression it works well for plain vanilla programs but might not work with programs that need direct access to hardware such as USB or game graphics.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/

A third way is thing like Parallells where you create a virtual windows environment and then run windows progams in that environment. Costs money but works great.

The ultraflex is really just a bass reflex speaker with Onken style ports. The tricky thing with the Jensen ports is that the end correction to get the accoustical lenght of the ports as opposed to geometrical lenght is quite different from ports that are placed more or less in the middle of a baffle.

If I built the Jensen I would extend the port brace all the way down to the back and also have braces at the very top and bottom of the box. Then it would be easy to change the tuning by exending the inner port baffles, to what ever tuning works best.

Bruce Edgars The Show Horn and the Swedish K25H horn are roughly the same size as the Jensen and you do get to 50 Hz but to reach 40 Hz you have to be lucky with driver and room placement

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
What is Wine? Is it something used to run Windows based program's on Linux? So I'll need something similar to run hornresp on a Mac?
Exactly this - it works on Linux and osx.

The Beat

Wammer
Wammer
May 25, 2011
Tyneside
AKA
Paul
There are several ways to run windows programs on a mac. I used bootcamp to install WinXP and then I run Woofer Tester 3 and Omnimic. A second way is wine that is a kind of wrap around the application so that it runs in OS X. My impression it works well for plain vanilla programs but might not work with programs that need direct access to hardware such as USB or game graphics.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/

A third way is thing like Parallells where you create a virtual windows environment and then run windows progams in that environment. Costs money but works great.

The ultraflex is really just a bass reflex speaker with Onken style ports. The tricky thing with the Jensen ports is that the end correction to get the accoustical lenght of the ports as opposed to geometrical lenght is quite different from ports that are placed more or less in the middle of a baffle.

If I built the Jensen I would extend the port brace all the way down to the back and also have braces at the very top and bottom of the box. Then it would be easy to change the tuning by exending the inner port baffles, to what ever tuning works best.

Bruce Edgars The Show Horn and the Swedish K25H horn are roughly the same size as the Jensen and you do get to 50 Hz but to reach 40 Hz you have to be lucky with driver and room placement
Thanks for your advice. I thought that Onken designs had Jensen ports and assumed I'd be able to use one of the Onken calculators to work out port length for my driver, sound like it won't be so simple though. Originally I was planning to use a bass reflex design but read that the Jensen cabinet produced clean, less flabby, bass, which is also my reason for looking into the horn designs. I am just learning here though so go easy on me :)

I really would like to go lower than 50 Hz but thanks for the pointers.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly this - it works on Linux and osx.
Thanks. I've found it and will check it out. :^

DrBoar

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2012
The Jensen preceed the Onken by decades so I should have said that the Onken has Jensen ports. That Onken thing is fuzzy, it really is a specific alignment of a bass reflex. But in many cases that geometry of ports is what is implied. The port area is also equal to cone area or at least close to that. However, there is a Onken for two 15" drivers in the same box and then port area is smaller than for one 15" unit and the geometry is totaly different! I intend to build a "Onken style" box using a Eminence Omega 15A driver. The Onken calculation does not work with that driver so I keep the geometry but reduce the port area (still large) to get a slightly under tuned box. For me that is an Onken box geometry and still really large port area buf for sticklers for calculations that is heretic:rockin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online