Tascam CD-DVD Recorder

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
Ah, the 70's look
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

But maybe too many buttons, choices for a (blonde) MF user...
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif

tascam_dv-ra1000_large.jpg

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I saw it a review of it in a recent Hifi news, including some recording engineers using it.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
USB connection means you are looking at one very nice seriously equipped "external soundcard".

There are some interesting devices around just now technology wise, this is another, ie you can take analouge inputs, upsample to 24/192 PCM stereo, then burn to DVD-R, ie create your own DVD-A discs. Say from a TT. Hmmmmmmmmm !!!

Must resist the temptation.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Gaul it’s a “professional†device, hence the rack mounting on the side (which I would imagine is easily removable if you open the casework). There was a thread on Wigwam recently where Professional/Studio kit was mentioned, ie for example the Marantz CD7300 rrp £300 is available with high end AES/EBU digital outputs & XLR balanced outputs in the guise of the PMD-325 which can be bought from £300-400 on the net, I think there is a “surcharge†added to audiophile kit, when you can buy professional/studio kit with higher spec connections for the same money or less.

here is some bumph on the 325 :

If you are considering the CD7300, you may not realise that Marantz’s professional arm sells the same CDP but with higher spec connections, ie you can pick up the PMD 325 for £300-400 from studio retailers, but check out the connections : Fully balanced XLRs for anlg output in addition to RCA outputs, and AES/EBU XLR 110 Digital output in addition to RCA SPDIF/Toslink digital ouputs. Search on Google for PMD 325, if you don’t mind the “rack†front (Im sure it could be easily removed) then worth checking out (Its what I would be doing if buying a new CDP at that range).
1_big_PMD325_1_0.jpg

1_big_PMD325_2_0.jpg

The PMD325 from Marantz Professional offers great versatility and reliability for music playback, background music, and other applications. In addition to playing CDs it will play finalized or unfinalized CD-R (write-once) and CD-RW (rewritable) discs, as well as MP3 files on CD-R/RW. The PMD325 with RS-232 eliminates barriers at every turn. This is the last CD player that should ever need to go into an installation, since MP3 files are here to stay.

http://www.d-mpro.eu.com/index2.php?lang=eng&main=prod&ver=&CID=3⊂=&action=detail&Pid=7&brand=1

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

USB connection means you are looking at one very nice seriously equipped "external soundcard". There are some interesting devices around just now technology wise, this is another, ie you can take analouge inputs, upsample to 24/192 PCM stereo, then burn to DVD-R, ie create your own DVD-A discs. Say from a TT. Hmmmmmmmmm !!!

Must resist the temptation.
The review in HFN seemed to be saying that you couldn't burn your own DVD-A discs...it uses an odd file format for storing the data on the DVD-RW discs that can then only be read by this machine. So Ok only if you don't mindreplaying your archived vinyl only on this box.

It also said that the A-D and in particular the D-A convertors on the machine were not very good so best used with external 24/192 A-D and D-A devices.

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
cjr wrote:

Gaul it’s a “professional†device, hence the rack mounting on the side (which I would imagine is easily removable if you open the casework).
Hey CJ,

I wouldn't place too much credence on the professional tag of some of these devices. IMO, many of these units perform or record music poorly but because it is for studio use, that's okay or so they tell us.
wink.png

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Lawrie old chap, your are of course one mans idea of “professional†could be anothers “amateurâ€, although purely on specificatuions points, ie for example what you can get from the professional/studio market compared to the “hifi audiophile sell them crytals and they will buy it†industry, is on different plains. Thus you can spend £300 on a Marantz 7300 (I would buy a second hand Toshiba SD-900e myself) or you can buy a PMD-325 for the same money and get XLR anlg & AES/EBU, if looks are not a concern and connections are (ie you have an amp or DAC with balanced connections) they are valid hifi components, as they Tascam is. I would have to removed the rack mountings. £900 dude and look at that back panel, never mind it’s DSD compliant too if a digital output is ever ratifield for SACD, but for both digital & anlg recordings to CDR or DVDR, I have not seen such a well specced audio device, for example :

Run your Harry Belfonte 56 Carnegie LP through the Orbe SE/Ear straight into the anlg inputs, then select 24 Bit 192 Khz PCM, slot in a DVDR and record. Holy Moly !! One as good as you will ever get digital resoltion copy of a LP, yours in DVD-V/A disc.

PS I am starting to worry about my asthetic leanings when I see such a device as the Tascam and I could imagine it in my rack. Could also be used as a DAC I would imagine ie fed a digital signal and then listening via the anlg ouptuts of the deck.

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
and another thing, the PMD325's big brother, the PMD340 only costs £100 more, andcomes with anindustrial-grade transport mech that you wouldn't find on any audiophile deck south of £1,500, rather than some flimsy plastic thing:

http://www.decibel.ch/images/download/Marantz_PMD340.PDF

Add a further £200for Tentlabs clock mods and you have one very tasty transport for a fraction of the price of the better-known audiophile brands.

Rgds,

DT

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
cjr wrote:

PS I am starting to worry about my asthetic leanings when I see such a device as the Tascam and I could imagine it in my rack. Could also be used as a DAC I would imagine ie fed a digital signal and then listening via the anlg ouptuts of the deck.
CJ,

My comments were not particularly aimed at the Tascam. All I am saying is that one should not get too excited by the "professional" tag given to some of thosedevices as many just don't cut the mustard, even in the studio.However, as Joe Public is not too bothered about the recorded quality of his music, then why should the studios care? That's all I am saying.
smile.png

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles