Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
:D Just come home to a £1266 tax rebate letter.

I was yearning for a Puresound P10 / T10 pair (used) for maybe £600 tops, can anyone suggest something else the money would better go on (for my system). Don't worry I'll spend a bit on records too, the rest can go in savings :minikev:

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Those are already plentiful :)

Im thinking of the phono so I don't rely on the one in my pre, and can swap the amp out down the line. Speakers will be when I have a very good wedge to buy used.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
:^ was just wondering if there's anything else I could do, better cart maybe. But I do think upgrading the phono will be the best upgrade for the money.

Time to find one used then.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Why not buy the P10/T10 and send the rest on a cart upgrade? They are capable of doing justice to some very good MC's :^

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oyaide MJ-12 + the sweet AT OC9 ml ii cart deal I put you on to a while back is still on (my new 'un only took around 6/7 days to arrive) + £2-99 for a multipack of 'o' rings to do the tweak to your Michell clamp that I've previously menshunnned, in order to make it work with the effectively shortened spindle. Even if you get stiffed for duty on the cart you shouldn't pay more than around £520 all in fer this lot & this really would give you more bang fer yer buck than you might expect. http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html
at-OC9ml.jpg
The Oyaide really surprised me as to how big an improvement it gave me on my Gyro, as it was partly bought as a bit of bling, but I did also want to experiment with adding platter mass & the Orbe platter upgrade simply has no appeal for me. :nup: Its far far better at dealing with warps than the bare platter + clamp on the Gyro & also for that matter the Orbe platter + screw down clamp, once you've done my 'cheap as chips' tweak to the clamp. :geek: Also it removes the annoyance of not being able to use a record brush properly when the platter is spinning with Gyro/Orbe when the clamp is not used.

Funnily enough Paul (Wallman) mentioned this annoyance when I was round his gaff doing some TT setup checks/tweaks on his Michell Gyorbe t'other week & he's another who has also found that the platter slips/scuffs against the underside of the platter if you try to use a brush without the clamp deployed. Even when used without a clamp this is not an issue with the Oyaide MJ-12 which seems to grip onto an LP with no clamping applied. Sounds better than the bare platter too & the lower noise floor was fairly obvious to me from the get go, leading edges of notes seem cleaner & you can hear that bit deeper into the mix.

Have a £3/400 splurge on vinyl & put the rest in a fighting fund for when a suitable tasty valve phono stage turns up. Icon Audio PS 1.2's sometimes show up for around £4/600 & would be a good buy as would your proposed Puresound which would also be great. :^ The AT OC9 ml ii would show your Benz Gold a clean pair of heels & would easily hold its own with an improved phono stage, when funds allow/or a bargain shows up.

:D Just come home to a £1266 tax rebate letter. I was yearning for a Puresound P10 / T10 pair (used) for maybe £600 tops, can anyone suggest something else the money would better go on (for my system). Don't worry I'll spend a bit on records too, the rest can go in savings :minikev:

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Why not buy the P10/T10 and send the rest on a cart upgrade? They are capable of doing justice to some very good MC's :^
I'm not blowing the lot! if I did I'd probably sell the dalis and buy some speakers used for £1500 or something.

I have a benz micro gold which is admittedly one of the lower end MC's but I still think I can get more out of it with a better phono stage. It'll give me scope for upgrade in the future too.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I'm not blowing the lot! if I did I'd probably sell the dalis and buy some speakers used for £1500 or something. I have a benz micro gold which is admittedly one of the lower end MC's but I still think I can get more out of it with a better phono stage. It'll give me scope for upgrade in the future too.
Huh, you're no fun :p

B

BD Audio

Balls, I've heard £500 setups which destroy £50,000 setups for pure musical engagement. :)

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It's really hard not to think about upgrades, part of the hobby I guess. Even though it's a road to nowhere pretty much. You always get used to the sound of what you have and then someone else comes around and is amazed and you're like .. eh. alright innit.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used a P10 very successfully through quite a few cart upgrades.

Started with a DNM Reson Reca (MM) then a Shelter 901 with Tribute SUT finally with AN Io and S6

Sold it when I bought a AN M3 pre with onboard phono.

B

BD Audio

Ha, not to say a £50,000 hifi wouldn't be the most amazing thing you've ever heard. It depends what components are put together. ;-)

Your plan sounds a sensible one to me, crucially the plan is the most important thing, knowing roughly which direction you are heading...

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I used a P10 very successfully through quite a few cart upgrades. Started with a DNM Reson Reca (MM) then a Shelter 901 with Tribute SUT finally with AN Io and S6

Sold it when I bought a AN M3 pre with onboard phono.
:^ I think it's the best way to go as then I don't rely on my amp and can sell the pre/power down the line for £900-ish and put it towards a decent used valve integrated or something. But speakers would definitely be the next upgrade, I'd hear the most difference changing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online