Technics 70's turntables

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Hi folks,

After having completed my system, it's now time to do something I always wanted. To have a vintage hi-fi system. Yes, I'm a sucker for those silver front technics and wood cabinets.

I'm really looking forward a SL-1500 , SL-1700 turntable. Does anybody recommend them? I guess that old technics tonearms are pretty good.

For the amplifier, I was thinking of a Technics SU-7600 It's a 40w amplifier and it's... pretty. It has a phono stage, but it must be cheesy. Will be plugging the pro-ject phono box in it.

More specifications here: http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated.htm

Oh well, opinions on the amp and in the turntable are appreciated.

Cheers,

Paulo

P.S: If any of you, has one of these lying around at home, step forward with a good price
tongue.png


 
G

Guest

Guest
biscuit and class A both into the vintage Japanese stuff, perhaps a pm to either of them mat help

 

rsc

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
430
3
0
S E England
Class A wrote:

I don't have much experience with turntables.
sad.png
The best place to ask is The Vinyl Engine forum.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=4b4df2355af6d3d5009cfad93aee9b51

The best Technic turntable is the SP-10Mk2.

sl1000obsid2.jpg


If you want some cheap Jap hi-fi, the Germany eBay is the place to look for.

Welcome to the club.
smile.png
I've had my SP10mk2 for seven years or more now, with all sorts of amps/'speakers: PM me if you want more info. on these T/T's!

Current set up has SME 4 arm and Highphonic MC cartridge, fitted to custom-made granite plinth/armboard.

The picture shows the obsidian plinth which was available for the SP10: worth a Google for one of those, if you have an SP10 and don't want to go DIY for your plinth!

 

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
7,211
3,045
158
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back on planet Earth for a mo (or at the very least, planet "Reasonable cost"!!) the Technics SL 1500's, 1700's are all quite nice decks. Obviously they're not going to worry a Project Debut or a Rega P2 too much but shove an AT95E on one and they will sound quite satisfying. Although, obviously if you want the full vintage effect it would HAVE to be a Shure M75ED!!

Don't dismiss the phono stage inthe old amp too readily either. Some of them used discrete components and were pretty good.

 

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Hi mate,

And what do you have to say about the Goldring Elektra? I can get a 30% discount on Goldring cartridges, so that's why I'm asking this.

As for the Shure M75ED, the turntable I'm looking to purchase comes with one (Type2 2), but the stylus is damaged. Is a replacement expensive?

*edit* Though the M75ED was expensive, but they are some on eBay for a good price.

Cheers,

Paulo

 

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Very good looking indeed. But the end of the auction is within 6 days, so it should go up to the £80 (the condition is excellent).

I'm with my eye on this 1500 here, on eBay.de:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7587179394&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Hopefully it will go for under the 70€ and lower shipping costs. Besides, I had to try to convince the uk seller to ship to Portugal.

Thanks!

There's a SU-3050 on eBay.co.uk, but I can't find informations about this amp ANYWHERE! Misterious amplifier.... spooky
biggrin.png


 

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
6,491
8
0
Cambs, , United King
Paulo - sorry I didn't reply to the your PM
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif


I don't really know anything about kit this early, and I'm only just building up what I know about late 80's/90's (still by no means knowledgable).

I would be slightly worried about buying kit that old, that unless you are handy with a circuit diagram and a soldering iron, if they go wrong you are left with an ornament. Its not so bad buying old Quad because so many people know and love the equipment, that finding somebody for servicing isn't such a challenge, but the Japanese 70's stuff might be a bit more difficult.

If you are set on a 70's Technics system though - I'm sure they will sound pretty good (although bad kit sounded BAD in those days).

 

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Hey mate,

That's the problem with old stuff. But I don't like the looks of later amp's (80's and 90's sorry
smile.png
), that 70's look is just perfect. Yes, you can say I'm buying a hi-fi system for the looks and not for it's quality. My mistake
biggrin.png


I'm not that good with the soldering iron, in fact, but I know some people who are. With the service manuals from Technics it should be pretty straight to perform a repair job on them. (I hope)

 

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
7,211
3,045
158
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Goldring will fit in the standard headshell that is on the deck with no problems.

Biscuit wrote:

I would be slightly worried about buying kit that old, that unless you are handy with a circuit diagram and a soldering iron, if they go wrong you are left with an ornament. Its not so bad buying old Quad because so many people know and love the equipment, that finding somebody for servicing isn't such a challenge, but the Japanese 70's stuff might be a bit more difficult.
Good point, Biccy, but it's worth remembering that most of the 70's stuff was actually pretty well built and so will be reliable unless something really silly has been done with it. In my expereince, the stuff that has a problem usually has blatant outward physical signs of abuse., the rest of it seldom needs more than a wipe of accumulated crud off the socketry and a squirt of Servisol on the volume controls and it's ready for another 20 years use.

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
paulo.sebastiao wrote:

Hi folks,After having completed my system, it's now time to do something I always wanted. To have a vintage hi-fi system. Yes, I'm a sucker for those silver front technics and wood cabinets.

I'm really looking forward a SL-1500 , SL-1700 turntable. Does anybody recommend them? I guess that old technics tonearms are pretty good.

For the amplifier, I was thinking of a Technics SU-7600 It's a 40w amplifier and it's... pretty. It has a phono stage, but it must be cheesy. Will be plugging the pro-ject phono box in it.

More specifications here: http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated.htm

Oh well, opinions on the amp and in the turntable are appreciated.

Cheers,

Paulo

P.S: If any of you, has one of these lying around at home, step forward with a good price
tongue.png
Need a tuner for the system I have one of these
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


st8080catalog.jpg


 

Lucifer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
885
0
0
, ,
I had a Technics SL-1710 (late 60's early 70's) which was not by any means top of the range but it produced very fine music with a Shure V-15 cartridge. I no longer have it but know that it is still making the next generation of the family very happy.

 

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Beobloke wrote:

The Goldring will fit in the standard headshell that is on the deck with no problems.
Don't know mate, since the headshell is from the technics oldies. The cartridges are secured by one screw in the middle of the cartridge. But will check out later, if I win the auction.

 

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
7,211
3,045
158
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
paulo.sebastiao wrote:

Beobloke wrote:
The Goldring will fit in the standard headshell that is on the deck with no problems.
Don't know mate, since the headshell is from the technics oldies. The cartridges are secured by one screw in the middle of the cartridge. But will check out later, if I win the auction.
No - really, it will fit!! The single screw secures a metal plate which has the standard 1/2" mounting holes on it.

 

paulo.sebastiao

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
36
0
0
Amora, , Portugal
Beobloke wrote:

paulo.sebastiao wrote:
Beobloke wrote:
The Goldring will fit in the standard headshell that is on the deck with no problems.
Don't know mate, since the headshell is from the technics oldies. The cartridges are secured by one screw in the middle of the cartridge. But will check out later, if I win the auction.
No - really, it will fit!! The single screw secures a metal plate which has the standard 1/2" mounting holes on it.
Oh, didn't know that. Thanks mate!

In other news, I've won the auction and the turntable should come for 85€. Nice price, seeing one 1700 going for £112 on eBay.co.uk, eek! And the fact, that the only difference (I think) is that the 1700 is semi-automatic and the 1500 is manual
biggrin.png


Will post later when it arrives and some pics of it, hopefully shining. :dude:

(Now, I can't sleep until it arrives. Don't ever trust postal service, hope they don't ruin it)

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,189
Messages
2,314,094
Members
69,422
Latest member
DorothPike