Technics SP10 questions.

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
Hi

Unless, I'm missing something, it appears that stock SP-10s come without an arm or arm board (see picture below).

Is it easy and not too expensive to get arm boards/plinths for them?

What sort of price of price should one expect to pay for an SP10 in good condition and does anyone still service them?

(Cannot find answers to the above in the DD info site)

http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/SP10.jpg

S

Sranang_Boi

A good condition one can easily go for £300 or more. There was a MKI and MKII version. Technics still services them. The arm board does an irregular appearance on eBay from time to time. but I have seen board made up by individuals. They were designed to taste in many cases. Customers used to bring theirs in for us to fit the arm for them when I was a repair engineer. Lovely piece of kit, so if someone has a working one and is asking peanuts, snap it up. The resale value is quite good to excellent.

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
Thanks. do you know if its worth holding out for an SP10 mk2 A, which came out in the mid-eighties, I believe, and had slightly improved electronics over the previous MK2s?

S

Sranang_Boi

The MKII is the better machine, no doubt. The thing with turntables in this league is the fact that you are likely to want to keep it for many years to come. So a good example of the better version will always command a fair price even when you come to sell it in years to come.

If you do get one, consider designing your own board and get a professional chippy or metal worker to make the thing up for you. I once saw a board that was solid granite top and bottom, separated with thick metal bars and screw thread on them. The legs were designed to screw into the thread of the bars. It looked a million bucks.

M

murray johnson

Tatty ones without plinths tend to go for £2-300 at the moment. I'd avoid ex radio broadcast ones (with their extra electronics/pitch control if you can) Ditch the rubber mat & replace with something like a 6-8mm acrylic slab, an achromat or even a cf mat. Whatever mat you use has to be only 293mm diameter.

I use one with a Stirling Broadcast Corian plinth but they don't seem to make these any more.

There would appear to be a firm in Basingstoke who can restore the top plates.

these people can service them & have a website I can't find!

Vantage Audio The Mount Barn, Tinkers Lane, Halse, Taunton, TA4 3AD

Tel: 01823 430049.

If making a new plinth make it heavy. I'd actually use a laminate of aluminium sheets & plywood but that is more involved. Any kitchen worktop cutter should be able to cut something suitable from ply mdf corian or even granite.

I have a rough sketch of the required cut out if you need it but the information is on Vinyl Engine.

It is worth it though. They can be quite good.

those gatherings in your sig look fun. Have you been to any?

M

murray johnson

I'm sure they do turn up elsewhere but I only seem to seethem on eBay now. Doug Stirling used to sell re-furbed ones but I understand his supplies dried up.

Plinth cut out is as below (although this drawing doesn't show the 4 mounting holes needed.

plinthdrawing.jpg

SP15's and 25's also turn up and perhaps aren't quite as good but the price usually reflects it. Still pretty reasonable though.

I liked these two pics from the loft parties. This seems a great idea. Pity I live so far from where it happens!

loft_23.jpg

loft_16.jpg

What are these turntables? They remind me of the early Technics DD but don't seem quite the same.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
murray johnson wrote:I'd avoid ex radio broadcast ones (with their extra electronics/pitch control if you can)

As i understood it, the more pressure applied to the platter, the more torque from the motor, this resulted in a lot of pressing down on the platter to see if it kept up its stabilized speed whilst the other tt's were in use in the studio! Radio was fun back then, but yes, do avoid ones from studios, especially where i worked! :dude:

M

murray johnson

the tt's above do look like the SL110 but the plinths look more substantial.

SL110.jpg

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
murray johnson wrote:

the tt's above do look like the SL110 but the plinths look more substantial.
SL110.jpg
Hi,

The turntables are placed on Mitchell Cotter Turntable bases.

David Mancuso is not your normal dj. He dosen't mix the tunes. He plays them from start to end. No back cueing or use of slip mats etc. He uses a range of Hifi equipment including Koetsu cartridges. He has used a range of them from the Black to the Onyx.

http://www.deephousepage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=015710

I think this is a Koetsu. It may behis orginal Onyx.

loft_11.JPG

I have a number of items that were played at the Loft on vinyl & cd. The two Nuphonic sets are worth looking into.

SCIDB

M

murray johnson

Thanks Dean. I'd seen Cotter's SP10 based TT but never these plinths before.

Mitch Cotter B-1 Turntable Base

In the 1970s, Mitch Cotter designed a special base specifically for the direct drive Technics SP10 and Denon DP6000 turntable assemblies. Later he marketed the unit as a complete system with the Denon platter, often including a Fidelity Research FR-66 transcription tonearm. Cotter stripped the basic turntable and mounted it on a 1.125" thick sandwiched baseplate made from of alternating layers of steel and plastic. The final product weighed in at about 150 lbs. and was massive enough to completely dampen acoustic and mechanical feedback. With a retail price of $8,000, relatively few were manufactured and sold, though from time to time they appear on the used market for about $2,400.

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
SCIDB wrote:

murray johnson wrote: I have a number of items that were played at the Loft on vinyl & cd. The two Nuphonic sets are worth looking into.

SCIDB
The sound quality on the nuponic sets could be a bit better. If you somehow manage to track down old singles, that would be sonically preferable.

Nice that someone else around here knows of this stuff.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Hi,

There are a few editions of the SP10, best obviously being the mk3 version.

The difference between the mk2 and mk3 is quite a large one. The motor unit is much larger and heavier for a start!
smile.png

I've had and have both types! The mk2's go for £200-300 but the plinths are difficult to find. The SH10-B3 and B5 are used for the mk2 and mk3 respectively. You can also get a very nifty SAEC mounting frame/structure for the mk3...but these are extremely rare indeed.

I sold an SH10-B5 plinth for £850 recently without a tt in it.

Used Mk3's without tonearm go for £2000-2500...there was a boxed version that sold for £3800 on eBay recently.

I am pretty pleased today. I picked up a Kaneta Technics Sp-10mk3 in JP. Kaneta did much research into improving the mk3 even further. One was the plinth and the other the motor control circuit:

http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/kaneta_eng.html

Website above gives layouts.

Enjoy
smile.png

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Sorry to dredge this up, but is it still possible to get the power supply by itself? Or get someone to custom make it (at a reasonable price).

JJ

anubisgrau

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2006
Belgrade Serbia
AKA
Gordan

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
Hi Anu

There was another loft party a couple of weeks ago. They've been using the Musical Fidelity amps for all the london lofts apart from the first. The loft crew initially screwed up with the gear they bought. In getting domestic amps, they then had a problem with build up of ohm resistence on very long runs of cable and ended up spending 'thousands' on top of the line chunky Van den Hul wire to counteract this. They should have purchased hi-end 600 ohm line amps from the start and then the cable wouldn't have been an issue, as the resistance is much lower.

The Klips themselves are the modern version with cheap mid-fi drivers. They need to be upgraded with vintage alnico heavy duty 15 inch high efficiency drivers and bigger horns.

To me, it always sounds disappointing- not loud enough, muffled and lacking in dynamic energy. Mancuso is a cool guy but no audio genius. But the parties are excellent anyway.

Baudrillard.

Code:

anubisgrau

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2006
Belgrade Serbia
AKA
Gordan
bodymusic wrote:

Hi AnuThere was another loft party a couple of weeks ago. They've been using the Musical Fidelity amps for all the london lofts apart from the first. The loft crew initially screwed up with the gear they bought. In getting domestic amps, they then had a problem with build up of ohm resistence on very long runs of cable and ended up spending 'thousands' on top of the line chunky Van den Hul wire to counteract this. They should have purchased hi-end 600 ohm line amps from the start and then the cable wouldn't have been an issue, as the resistance is much lower.

The Klips themselves are the modern version with cheap mid-fi drivers. They need to be upgraded with vintage alnico heavy duty 15 inch high efficiency drivers and bigger horns.

To me, it always sounds disappointing- not loud enough, muffled and lacking in dynamic energy. Mancuso is a cool guy but no audio genius. But the parties are excellent anyway.

Baudrillard.

Code:
well, if you have an influence on their guest list, i wouldn't mind checking it out once. i've read so much about it, especially about the audiophile angle to his DJing. we were contemplating bringing mancuso to belgrade but we've had to gave up when we saw his rider.

it's hard to do things perfect if you have to bring insuch a sophisticated PAfor each and every party. it is much safer to go with a decent, modern PA gear, something like funktion one or similarwithtone you can always filter with tons of DSP according to your taste. but than, knowing what mancuso plays, i can fullyunderstand why he instists on someelements of his rig, speakers and TTs for example.

that said, i'd really love to hear my current home speakers in a small club. we were playing some really nice, organic house sounds recently in my room and they have the sophistication that always lacks in a club, still theyare raunchy and fast like the best PA. horns do the job. that's the same feeling i've had when i heard avantgardes for the first time - whata great speakers for club!

speaking ofgood soundsystems, once i had to stay at home due my wife's sudden surgery instead of playing in amoscow club. my friend jumped in; after the gig he couldn't stop raving about a custom, 4-way active valve rig, fully designed and build by a professor at a moscow university.i wish i was there, never really stopped regretting that i missed that gig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles