Terminating Speaker cable

wow and flutter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
Harrow, , United Kin
AKA
Mark
What type of termination do you use for your speaker cables.

I've always tendedto use bare wires round the binding post ecept when a piece of wire was pre-terminated. The drawback for me is that every time I move the speakers, or need to reconnect them, I end up with a chewed up bit of copper, which then gets lopped off the endbefore reconnection.

I'm not looking for a debate that tells me that kryptonite plated, solid gold plugs at £10,000 per pair are estimably better than Maplins"10 for £5" chrome plated brass ones. But with so many kit upgrades happening amongst forum members, there must be a preferred method.

W&F

E

Effem

My favourite speaker termination is the WBT 0645 locking banana plugs. Double grub screwcable grip so no need for soldering, once they are done up tightthey are done up for good, even with thin delicate cables.

Best of all though is one handed connection and disconnection with a large colour codedscrew terminal that doesn't come loose either,so scrabbling around the back of big speakers and behind racks becomes so much easier.

wbt0645-300.gif

Not cheap at around £12a pair but they last a lifetime

E

Effem

I bought a set of the Nakamichi and various otherWBT lookalikes

wbt0600-300.gif

and they are awful. They need both hands to do them up and even then come nowhere close to the firm connection of the WBT0645 plugs doin my previous post.

Had the Michell's and the various copies and none have hadthe cable grip, the long term stability and plug/socket grip that the WBT 0645's do. If you must have a connector then don't skimp. otherwise stick with bare wire

bode

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 18, 2006
Belfast UK
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm using these, have loads spare if you need any cheap. Gun metal finish and bronze with screw fixing.

5443943_tp.jpg

6848151_o.jpg

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Bode how much would 8 of those cost ? Could be interested.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Effem wrote:

My favourite speaker termination is the WBT 0645 locking banana plugs. Double grub screwcable grip so no need for soldering, once they are done up tightthey are done up for good, even with thin delicate cables.Best of all though is one handed connection and disconnection with a large colour codedscrew terminal that doesn't come loose either,so scrabbling around the back of big speakers and behind racks becomes so much easier.

wbt0645-300.gif

That's why Ilike mine a lot!

G

Think its a typo error. They cost between £10-12 a lug. Bought mine from hififorsale and took a month:X so phone the buggers first to see if they have it in stock rather than ordering over t'internet

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Hmm , watching 4 x plugs and 4 x spades on fleabay , I'll maybe give them a phone but that's bloody expensive "her indoors" will flip if she finds this one out.
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

Cheers Duvet.
wink.png

chezi.

bode

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 18, 2006
Belfast UK
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

I have about 10 to get rid of. I could post them first class (UK).

Total of £13 ok?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
bode wrote:

cjr wrote:
I have about 10 to get rid of. I could post them first class (UK).

Total of £13 ok?
Bode, I only need 8 though hows about £10 for 8 of them. Send me your details if that is acceptable. Seems daft but I don’t fancy spending an extra £3 for 2 plugs I wont ever use if you catch my drift.

2nd class record is fine PP ie cheap as chips Bode, no need for 1st class.

E

Effem

You sure your wallet can tolerate such a massive outsurge of withdrawal Colin
biggrin.png

Only teasing
wink.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Effem wrote:

biggrin.png
Only teasing
wink.png
Yes its been a heady week of hifi expenditure at chez CJ, £23.52 on Van Damme 2x1.5mm2 48m of the stuff Francis, £2.19 on a RCA-BNC adaptor, and now £10 (if accpeted on 8 banana’s). Oh lord what is the world coming to !!!!

biggrin.png

G

cjr wrote:

Effem wrote:
biggrin.png
Only teasing
wink.png
Yes its been a heady week of hifi expenditure at chez CJ, £23.52 on Van Damme 2x1.5mm2 48m of the stuff Francis, £2.19 on a RCA-BNC adaptor, and now £10 (if accpeted on 8 banana’s). Oh lord what is the world coming to !!!!

biggrin.png
That doesn't even scratch the surface a t Duvet towers:p

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Could someone please explain what the lower section of thisplug is all about? I like everything you have said about this plug, but not sure what the two holes are for - is this just where the cable itself goes? What about the blue/grey part of the image? What is this?

Sorry, i'm sure this post will get a few laughs - but I need to know!
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

Effem wrote:

My favourite speaker termination is the WBT 0645 locking banana plugs. Double grub screwcable grip so no need for soldering, once they are done up tightthey are done up for good, even with thin delicate cables.Best of all though is one handed connection and disconnection with a large colour codedscrew terminal that doesn't come loose either,so scrabbling around the back of big speakers and behind racks becomes so much easier.

wbt0645-300.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles