Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watched this on Sky Atlantic a couple of nights ago. It is, without a doubt, one of the most disturbing, nausea inducing and thought provoking films I have ever seen. It's incredibly diifcult to watch.

Essentially, it's a documentary (produced be Werner Herzog) that challenges former Indonesian death squad leaders to reenact their real-life mass-killings in whichever cinematic genres they wish, including classic Hollywood crime scenarios and lavish musical numbers.

An audience member after a screening in Berlin said that what director Joshua Oppenheimer had done was "like having SS officers re-enact the Holocaust." Oppenheimer responded that it is not the same at all 'because 'the Nazis are no longer in power', while the death squad members shown in the documentary are still being protected by the Indonesian government.

http://theactofkilling.co.uk/

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I guess it resonated with me because I've been to Indonesia and I've seen how truly messed up that country is...

but, really, the documentary makes for compelling viewing. The truth of the matter is these thugs, who were responsible for the genocide of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, are in power and remain unpunished.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
I saw the trailer for The Act of Killing at the cinema which was enough for me. I don’t need to see the barbarity of genocide re-enacted to appreciate the details but appreciate film documentaries like this should be made as a record of what happened for those who do want to know more.

I’d also be cautious (without having seen the film) of the violence becoming voyeuristic. As Werner Herzog had a hand in the production, given the excellent documentary maker he is, I’m sure he didn’t allow this to happen.

Reality makes for the best horror, certainly.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members