RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
So which is it, and why?

For me it's definitely the 1970s since that decade seems to encompass some real technical progress alongside the heavy, quality build carried over from the 60s.

I like 70s amplifiers and especially the better Japanese receivers which just look so right, and even the cheaper ones are so well built. It was the decade of illuminated meters and displays, the high point for direct drive, it saw some stunning advances in quality cartridges, and it was mercifully free, for the most part of the divisive politics which really took root in the uk audiophile industry in the decade to come.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1970s eh? The decade that spawned Linn and Naim, also driller killer transistor sound :roll: , but I'd have to agree that a lot of the build quality was up there. I still think the Japanese uber-fi of the 80s was even more astonishing, don't think we'll see its like again.

I'd volunteer the 1900s, the decade that saw the invention of the triode:D

anubisgrau

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2006
Belgrade Serbia
AKA
Gordan
if it's about development, it's clearly 30s. most of the things are still more than relevant and it's pretty much a firm basis for whatever is still the best in this sport: DHT amps and horns.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alternatively you could propose the noughties (2000 - 2010)

Streaming, the digital revolution, ipods, Stand alone Dacs, Spotify, thousands of albums available at the touch of a button and if you move on to the current decade and have a decent NAS and home network and lossless recordings an excellent system for relatively little. You also no longer need a PhD in Computing to put it all together and get it to work.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Alternatively you could propose the noughties (2000 - 2010)Streaming, the digital revolution, ipods, Stand alone Dacs, Spotify, thousands of albums available at the touch of a button and if you move on to the current decade and have a decent NAS and home network and lossless recordings an excellent system for relatively little. You also no longer need a PhD in Computing to put it all together and get it to work.
There's hope for me yet then :dunno:

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
probably the NINETIES......lots of great stuff done then...innotive stuff that is being utilised now....

.....music was shite but....canny have everything:nuts:

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The decade that you perceive as the best is inextricably linked to the equipment you prefer; already votes for the thirties because of a valve and horn preference for example.

The efforts in R&D from the late 70's to the early 90's and the no compromise audio from Japan, the US and UK make that period my personal favourite. The amazing developments in digital streaming, and access to vast libraries of music, is making this decade one if the most important in history. My children, nieces and nephews are more musically literate than I ever was at their age.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right here, right now. The quality of; design, production, aesthetic, variety of choice, music formats, access to formats, prices to suit all. I don't think we have ever had it better. No need to look back at all. Sure, we can thank those whose efforts everyone builds on, but I can't think of a decade where we were spoilt with so much choice. As for innovation, the realisation of good Class D, streaming music, the internet, direct sales, direct production of music (sans labels), well designed and made horn speakers, a flourishing and global diy community, just too much to mention really. I prefer

to yesterdays.

Mondie

Lackey
Wammer
Jul 26, 2008
Llandudno (ex Oz)
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 1960's when physics still ruled over marketing, material science and knowledge was at a peak before marketing began to set the priorities of design.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Obviously the best decade is NOW!

It means you can buy the very best that you can afford from all of the preceding decades, therefore getting the best of the best :cool:

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
For me it's definitely the 1970s.
I'd volunteer the 1900s, the decade that saw the invention of the triode:D
If it's about development, it's clearly 30s.
Alternatively you could propose the noughties (2000 - 2010)
probably the NINETIES......
Right here, right now.
40s? (Klipschorn) 30s? (300b)
As usual, total unanimity on the Wam. :)

The differences of opinion here is one of the main reason I enjoy this place so much.

• Upvote
Reactions: 68rednose

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
1970s eh? The decade that spawned Linn and Naim, also driller killer transistor sound :roll:
They certainly spawned in the 70's but didn't really get established until the 80s.

In the 70s those guys were still small fish fighting against the establishment.

...and of course we had disco in the 70s :eek:j:

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
Pre 1870.

if you wanted to hear music it had to be live.

A lot of people here would do well to remember live music is what it's all about.

S

soulman

Most of my kit either is from or was first made in the eighties, big Sony amp, quad electrostats and NAS deck, so it gets my vote. Worst decade for music in some ways (wham, Duran Duran, span day ballet, haircut 100 etc, need I say more)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For akshual HiFi...ie for sound quality repro?

For me either the end of the 70's in Vinyl or now on the assumption that if it isn't improving, we wouldn't 'upgrade' to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles