Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Took the plunge after again demoing the base Gyrodec and done the decent thing and purchased her, upon this this visually arresting beast l will be arming her with an SME V, but am open to suggestions on the cartridge front, the dealer where l had the demo suggested the Ortofon Cadanza Red, l will be looking at carts in this price range and a little lower, l will buy new, and am looking for a smooth, full, and musical sound, l heard the Ortofon Rhondo Red and that was very nice, hence my (and the dealers recommendation of the Cadanza Red) however my knowledge of MC Cartridges is limited to say the least:doh:, so l throw the floor over to you chaps:^

My phono stage is Cambridge Audio 640P with an RFC SUT1 which sounds very nice and improves the CA640P considerably:^ :)

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well done on your purchase pictures please sure there is a nearly new Ortofon going in the classifieds I know you said you wanted new but he ho its a couple of records

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Congratulations!

Out of interest, what did you dem the Gyro against? I've got an upcoming dem booked of Gyro SE vs Ace Spacedeck (I'm looking to buy a TT to replace my recently sold P9)

Lefty

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Congratulations! Out of interest, what did you dem the Gyro against? I've got an upcoming dem booked of Gyro SE vs Ace Spacedeck (I'm looking to buy a TT to replace my recently sold P9)

Lefty
Having gone from an (old) Orbe to N.A. Dais, I'd be interested in your findings between these two excellent British decks as well as the o.p.'s dem. experience .Totally different design parameters, too. Hopefully it'll be with the same (SME Five?) arm.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Congratulations! Out of interest, what did you dem the Gyro against? I've got an upcoming dem booked of Gyro SE vs Ace Spacedeck (I'm looking to buy a TT to replace my recently sold P9)

Lefty
My pimped Techie Amar.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Having gone from an (old) Orbe to N.A. Dais, I'd be interested in your findings between these two excellent British decks as well as the o.p.'s dem. experience .Totally different design parameters, too. Hopefully it'll be with the same (SME Five?) arm.
Sure thing - I'll make sure I post my findings here. Unfortunately I'll be slumming it with an RB202 to start with, although the plan would be to upgrade to a SME V in time :)

Lefty

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Were you using a pimped 1210 before? What do you find that the Gyro brings to the party?
1.Yes l was ( and still will be although with the standard arm)

2. Quite a lot:geek:

- - - Updated - - -

Loved the way the Gyro sounded, warm, clean musical, a really lovely sound- just hope it sounds this good when l get her home. :nerves:

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
My pimped Techie
Cool - that's interesting as one of the other decks I was considering was a pimmped Techie.

I still have fond memories of my old Gyro. Here's a nostalgic pic of my old deck:

5642798664_59822e101f_b.jpg

DOn't worry mate - the Gyro is an absolute honey

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Yup - Ortofon Kontrapunkt A.

I still have it and will be using it on my new TT :) A nice, neutral cart that just gets out of the way and lets the music express itself.

Lefty

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tarzan: I have a Candenza Red had 15 months use. You are welcome in the spirit of the Wam to borrow it and if you wished to retain we could agree a sale. PM if interested.

Regards,

Lindsay

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Tarzan: I have a Candenza Red had 15 months use. You are welcome in the spirit of the Wam to borrow it and if you wished to retain we could agree a sale. PM if interested. Regards,

Lindsay
Thanks for the offer Lindsay, but l will be buying new, although l think the Red is a strong contender.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Andy - if you're after 'smooth, musical & full' the Benz stuff comes up well. I've been extremely chuffed with my ACE SL, it just gets on with the job without bringing attention to itself and doesn't fall into the trap of some modern MC's in sounding overly forced. It'll get down & dirty if the music does, otherwise it's a little peach. :)

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Consider the Transfiguration range, I had a Spirit and it was very nice.

Also,Shelter. The 501 is certainly worth hearing :^

Both are an improvement on the Benz Ace L I had :D YMMV

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Consider the Transfiguration range, I had a Spirit and it was very nice.Also,Shelter. The 501 is certainly worth hearing :^

Both are an improvement on the Benz Ace L I had :D YMMV
I actually like the Benz, but I have to agree that Shelter and Transfiguration are stunning.

Both very neutral, yet capable of rendering high frequency stuff without any emphasis or loss. I would say though (although the same applies to virtually any MC) that a decent SUT is all but essential.

I have bought and sold so much over the years that I've all but lost track of it. However, there are one or two things I do regret selling. The Transfiguration Phoenix is top of that list. One of the best all-round cartridges I have ever heard. Coupled with a good SUT, the Transfiguration range is close on the heels of the very best of the highest end stuff and not daft money.

At lower cost, if you can find one, the Dynavector XX-2 is more than decent. My current one is the first generation model and they can be picked up surprisingly cheap, though there aren't many around. It's similar in presentation to the Transfiguration and Shelter. Nicely balanced overall with clean and tight bass and good top end extension without any harshness. Trouble is, people seem to hang on to them. I know why ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichShortland