The Hobby . Cursed or Blessed .

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh I see, a kind of hobby within a hobby🤔 I must say as I mentioned a few blogs earlier there seems to be a few 2nd hand and ex dem deals to be had at the moment.
I can see the attraction of buying and selling like this.
I have spent some time assembling a system from the classifieds for my son which has been good fun I have posted it on the bits & bobs thread👍

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have spent some time assembling a system from the classifieds for my son which has been good fun I have posted it on the bits & bobs thread👍
What I notice is people are putting decent equipment in good condition on eBay at reasonable prices and open to offers.

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I notice is people are putting decent equipment in good condition on eBay at reasonable prices and open to offers.
I have not been on eBay since they introduced the registration of a bank account requirement it took me 3 months & many hours of hanging on the phone to get all my information and account deleted.

I have bought bits as a guest but don't sell at all.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have not been on eBay since they introduced the registration of a bank account requirement it took me 3 months & many hours of hanging on the phone to get all my information and account deleted.

I have bought bits as a guest but don't sell at all.
Yes it's not a good place to sell or even buy anything of value.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely a blessing for me. I really started enjoying music from the age of 12. My father, who also loved music, bought a system of seperates when I was about 16 and whetted my appetite for 'better' systems, as a means of getting more enjoyment from the music. Over 45 years, I've gradually tried to upgrade my equipment. Some changes, in hindsight, weren't necessarily for the better, but these were thankfully few and far between.
The increased availability of good quality used equipment was a godsend, as was the advent of streaming, which has allowed me to be able to investigate, risk free, genres and artists that I otherwise would probably not have discovered.
It was only late last year, however that I purchased a pair of speakers that REALLY do everything that matters to me and do so across all genres of music, which is important to me as I enjoy almost all genres.
Although I can't see myself changing my amplification or speakers, I watch the development of digital playback with interest. My dac is approximately 21 years old and will probably die before I do. So long as my hearing doesn't diminish greatly, I do not want to lose any quality in sound and in fact, if I can noticeably improve it within my budget, I would do so. Music, whether it be recorded or performed live, is my most favourite hobby. Many spend just as much money on quality cars, football matches, going to the pub every night, etc. Hifi, as far as I am concerned, is an investment in my happiness and well-being. There are times when I may go a few days without listening but it's wonderful to be able to disappear into my music room whenever I feel the urge to.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is certainly both....I worry about the kit either being damaged by a curious or devious kid, or nicked. It's a big investment in time and money to get that musical nirvana! Over the years I've tried to mix music and movies in one system (I've found that virtually impossible, with a compromise to be made somewhere). So now for movies I use Sonos kit....it's actually brilliant value for the money.

Reactions: hiesteem

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a friend who was a BBC engineer. Sometimes he would get a slightly mad look on his face and say cryptically.... "I feel a build coming on....." You knew that some new creation was due to be born imminently. The planning, the endless designs, the lists of parts, tidying up the workshop ready, the sleepless nights as design thoughts run endlessly round in the brain........

In the words of Sam Cooke "That's where it's at...."
I do this too, and I am well aware you do, and many others here as well.

To me, it's a perfect way to combine two hobbies: the electronics and the love of music. To an extent, the two are actually somewhat separate. I build stuff to use in the system, of course. But I also build stuff for the fun of experimenting.

What I really need more than anything is a lot more spare time, and a house large enough to accommodate six or seven working systems.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me the coming of age of streaming has been fantastic . In the early days of the Wam you either bought music based on recommendations from Wammers via threads or through bakeoffs . Back in the day a good single still meant the investment in the album was a leap of faith. These days I check a lot of albums out and then add it to my digital library and buy it on vinyl .
Red wine at night is a great assistant in the buying process 🍷

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me the coming of age of streaming has been fantastic . In the early days of the Wam you either bought music based on recommendations from Wammers via threads or through bakeoffs . Back in the day a good single still meant the investment in the album was a leap of faith. These days I check a lot of albums out and then add it to my digital library and buy it on vinyl .
Red wine at night is a great assistant in the buying process 🍷

It's streaming that's re-kindled my interest in music because of the accessibility of anything you want to listen to available at your finger tips.

Reactions: DUVET and Tony_J

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With the greatest respect for the late, great Bill Shankly, I will apply his "maxim".
Is HI-Fi a matter of life and death? No, it is much more important than that...............

• Haha
Reactions: DUVET

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles