The honest bit first, need to sell turntable

latent hippie

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 19, 2015
midlands
Hi all.

I have joined this forum simply to gauge price and sell my HiFi gear without the eBay risk, I'll explain that shortly.

I'm now in my 60's have been a serious hifi nut since my teens, BUT my hearing no longer allows me the pleasure and difference that vinyl produces. Sad thing is I remember how it used to sound. Don't get me wrong I can still value my system but the time has come to go CD only I'm afraid. Thus my vinyl front end is for sale and I'm looking for a guide on price, later I will sell it on here if my status allows?

The history;

I have a Logic DM101 turntable, it's fitted with the original Mission 774 tone arm, the best most say. Also has a Goldring G1042 mm cartridge with near new stylus.

Those in the know here will realise where this item fitted into the hierarchy of things.

Can someone tell me it's approximate value?, I do want to be reasonable not greedy, but I don't want to give it away as I know it's desirable.

Condition cartridge as described, arm perfect, turntable near mint, lid didn't see light of day for 20 years, cloth covered since then.

Please if I've violated any etiquette or rules here let me know and I'll revise.

To add as above, I don't want to use eBay, I'd like to offer with a fixed price but no reserve cast unlike eBay.

Thank you in advance

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
there would be no etiquette breached if you posted some pics here as well. When you decide on a price, post properly in the for sale section (where you'll need the pics anyway).

Good clear pics showing the condition, and any details needed to confirm the model etc would go down well. Market price is tough isn't it? Ask here and a likely buyer may tell you something remote from reality. Your best bet is to search here for the deck and arm and ditto use 'completed sales' on eBay to see what has been the norm. My wild guess would be based on the idea that it was, in it's time a good deck and arm, selling around the price of a Linn / Rock etc. so you might expect it to sell as those do...maybe from £500 -£700 with arm and cart, depending on age and rareity?

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going by recent sales of similar spec decks, I'd imagine the TT/arm are possibly worth £200-250. That based on the sale of a Mission deck with same arm.

The cart is probably worth about £100-120, and probably best sold separately.

eBay is your friend, but remember, the forums tend not to go for eBay prices. Understandable considering everything on there is ramped up to cater for the fees!

If and when you decide to sell on here, your status doesn't matter. All classifieds are a separate entity to the forum and the percentage you pay in fees depends on your status as a member. I think it's something like 2.5% for an unpaid member like yourself, and 1.5% for paid members. Don't quote me on that though. I'm sure someone can give you accurate numbers.

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
A quick trawl around the 'Bay seems to suggest around £200 for the arm if in good nick and boxed. TT wise I'd say maybe between £100-150, so as a complete set maybe £350-375 with cart? Would certainly seem to be a good deck if reputation is anything to go by.

Edited to say yes, forum prices a bit less, which is why I grouped the cart in with it. You might well get more if you split, but that would be a shame...

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The price depends upon the Logic DM101 being a Mk1 or a Mk2 that has built in power supply and speed selection and a few years ago I sold 2x Mk2 decks for £200 each. Both were in very nice clean condition and boxed etc. However I think photos will help to identify the model and condition etc for a more accurate price guide.

The electronics (generally speaking) were always powered up even if the platter was stationary and became very hot like those of other decks like some Pink Triangle turntables so it was better to unplug them from mains supply when not being used.

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
My Logic Tempo electronic burnt out many years ago and pissed me off so much, I gave it away with a Mission 774 LC arm and A&R P77 Cartridge.

Then I bought a Denon DCD1000 CD player and never looked back.....Sorry guys. :cafe:

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Without pics, almost impossible to price, as a lot depends on condition and which version of the Logic it is. I prefer the Mk2 and would avoid the Electronic one myself.

Assuming OK used condition, then about £300 on eBay as a unit, more if you split, but you get more fees also.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is one of the best front-ends I've heard. Although it was over 30 yrs ago...

Demo'd it against an LP12/Ittok.

I was very young and had to have the fashionable Linn.

I have very fond memories of it.

If it's in good nick, someone buy it. No disappointment to be had.

Good luck with the sale.

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a DM101 (original version with the horizontal springs) partnered with an AT1100. Great TT, which I finally sold after 25 years, when I got a Platine Verdier.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of the best with your decisions-outcome-current/future aural etc enjoyment.

As an ole' git of 62, I fortunately can still hear/lust after overpriced past-present (but dread future cons-rip-offs ...) stuff. Then find that what you always liked is really THE best to retain/replace if necessary.

I advise retaining nicest t-t combo you love to archive sometimes to inferior digital multiply-backed-up/played media.

Logic-PT-Kuzma-Garrard etc were fine alternatives to my from 1982 LP12-odyssey choices ...

Just because one does not need to buy vinyl now (unless genuine pristine worthwhile analogue) should not cause you to move on your favourite analogue player/archiver source.

latent hippie

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 19, 2015
midlands
Well Charlie as another 62'er I have to look on it like this. I now longer "get" vinyl due to hearing issues, I bought what was the best cyrus CD deck a couple of years ago, can't recall the model and as most will know the only labelling is on the back. I prefer the sound by far. Ok, this may be due to many reasons but I have played around with all cards and even some mods that Avondale have helped me with. Great improvements on CD but not on the phone side, and as said, a few years back I preferred vinyl though the same Naim kit.

Now I'm normally the most sentimental of all when it comes to possessions, I rarely get rid of anything, but, the time has come to try and sell it someone who appreciates it rather than later on my wife take it to the charity shop, she simply wouldn't have a clue of what it was or how to describe it. I'll be happier with it disposed of under my watch if that makes sense?

I took exactly the same view of my vinyl collection that I've started to list on eBay this week.

Thanks for the help guys, but eventually I've decided to list it on eBay as a complete package.

Cheers.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I took exactly the same view of my vinyl collection that I've started to list on eBay this week.
:eek:ff:

There is a music sales section in the classifieds here. We don't like eBay. Do the right thing or I'm telling!

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Well Charlie as another 62'er I have to look on it like this. I now longer "get" vinyl due to hearing issues, I bought what was the best cyrus CD deck a couple of years ago, can't recall the model and as most will know the only labelling is on the back. I prefer the sound by far. Ok, this may be due to many reasons but I have played around with all cards and even some mods that Avondale have helped me with. Great improvements on CD but not on the phone side, and as said, a few years back I preferred vinyl though the same Naim kit.Now I'm normally the most sentimental of all when it comes to possessions, I rarely get rid of anything, but, the time has come to try and sell it someone who appreciates it rather than later on my wife take it to the charity shop, she simply wouldn't have a clue of what it was or how to describe it. I'll be happier with it disposed of under my watch if that makes sense?

Thanks for the help guys, but eventually I've decided to list it on eBay as a complete package.

Cheers.
You can of course list it for sale here also in the classifieds. The Wam, unlike some other places, does not demand exclusivity in sales. Listing costs nothing, and with pictures you will often achieve a reliable sale here without some of the uncertainties of eBay. We are also by far the biggest HiFi forum in the UK measured by traffic on the site, so good coverage for very little also.

Good luck with your sale anyway.

latent hippie

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 19, 2015
midlands
Hi guys,

Not going to vacate this thread just yet as hopefully my input may benefit others in "the same boat".

Saw doc, referred for free nhs hearing test, done today, came away an hour later with electronic digital ears.

BOY, is the jury still out. So much artificial sound.

I need a while to trial these, don't even know if the balance will work for real life let alone music listening.

None musical pointers;

Tinitus - vastly reduced

Sibilance - greatly increased

Outdoors in traffic - great

Own voice - firkin awful

Others voice - firkin load

Car noise - good, no change, but warning bleepers so dam loud.

Car stereo - remarkably good.

Taking a leak - LOUD

Bare in mind these are initial comments, don't even know if I can live with this long term.

Ok, an element of humour but with your accommodation I will continue the post later, I think you might agree that this could benefit others?

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
Thats great news latent hippie, all is not lost.

About 20 years ago, I used to buy my HiFi gear from Standens in Tonbridge and the salesman wore a hearing aid.

His ability to hear subtleties, imagery and fine details between equipment was always spot on. He certainly knew his stuff and seemed to have exceptionally good hearing, so I hope you benefit greatly with your new 'magic ears'. :^

Actually it was about 30 years ago. :doh:

latent hippie

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 19, 2015
midlands
Now, at this point I should go back and re-title this topic "Look after your hearing, or this happens".

It's only a day later, but living with these things is weird and not to be recommended. The audiologist said they could take a week even 2 to get used to, but.

Tapping this keyboard is darn right unpleasant, you get a smack like hitting a snare drum, same goes for switching any light or socket on, it's horrible. Rub your arms on your waist when wearing a nylon jacket and it's like tearing a sheet of steel. As I indicated before but more apparent now, turning a tap on or taking a leak is just a different form of water board torture.

Television, films in particular are listenable at a much lower volume, I always ran the treble at plus 10, now down to about +2.

But please don't let anyone one tell you can listen in high fidelity to your favourite music source because you can't, it's just too artificial and at times, even at a much lower volume, is out and out painful.

Look after those ears guys

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
My wife is a musician and her hearing was going too.

She got hearing aids a few weeks ago which made intelligibility of speech better but her piano sounded awful and sibilance was much too much. She had an appointment to have them adjusted this morning, based on her feedback they adjusted the settings and also gave her another switchable setting. She is much happier with them now, so persevere and go back with feedback after a while getting used to the plusses and minuses. They may be much better as a second iteration.

Parkandbike

Super Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2007
Cambridge
AKA
Don
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope you get used to them.

I have some which I reluctantly agreed to in the hope of reducing tinnitus. They do that to some extent, but I cannot listen to my system with them and find them unsettling in crowds/gatherings as it seems to be much more difficult to determine where sounds are coming from; I assume this is because the mics are located outside the pinnae.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles